M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY got to ride the new 109 today. Was out of town all week, had to leave the morning after we got it home. I was so anxious to get out on her.

Ok so I took over on a deserted portion of road here in my area. My first thought. Man she is a BIG GIRL!. The Magna feels dinky in comparison. I spent the first 20 minutes, making short circuits in this abandoned neighborhood at low speeds never got out of 2nd. OK she needs to be pushed into a turn, it felt like that big old tire out back was a big ole plank of wood I was riding flat on. Tire pressures are all good it is just a great big tire for me to get used to.

Once I realized I got used to that and was doing foot up U-Turns within minutes. OK so lets ease out onto the highway. OK 80 comes in no time and feels like 40 when you get there. There is torque everywhere. That takes some getting used to. She is faster and gets there way way quicker than I am used to on the Magna, and the Magna is no slouch in the quick category. But the biggest difference is the Magna gives you the sense of speed whereas the 109 is like a Jet aircraft, she is going fast yet it doesn't give you that sensation.

My feet and legs fit perfect once I move a little forward in the seat. However at 5'8" I am extended about as much as I can be without compromising my riding position, or the safety of the placement. If anything I'd like the foot controls to be maybe an inch or so closer to me, but I am just not used to the new extensions on the big ole bike.

Here is the only thing I think I need to change. The hand controls need to be closer to my fingers. The angle is past where my fingers can get leverage properly. Like the levers need to be angled inwards about an inch. I have to really reach and can't use my fingertips like I am used to.

Are there any aftermarket levers that will bring the levers closer to my fingers?

OK and this clutch is pretty touchy. Going to take some getting used to.

I am grinding gears a bit because the clutch has no "free area" of travel. It is hard to know when engagement or disengagement is going to happen. It seems as soon as you move it any, it disengages.

I did about 20 miles on her maiden trip. Tomorrow I will go easily twice that but I would like to start getting the lever thing figured out.

I admit I rode it like a girl today. I wasn't scared of her, but I certainly know I am on a bike that can get me up to warp speed in no time and have to get used to that. The Magna was fast and I had to work my way into that comfort so the 109 is no different, just more of it.

Any pointers gang?

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
FINALLY got to ride the new 109 today. Was out of town all week, had to leave the morning after we got it home. I was so anxious to get out on her.

Ok so I took over on a deserted portion of road here in my area. My first thought. Man she is a BIG GIRL!. The Magna feels dinky in comparison. I spent the first 20 minutes, making short circuits in this abandoned neighborhood at low speeds never got out of 2nd. OK she needs to be pushed into a turn, it felt like that big old tire out back was a big ole plank of wood I was riding flat on. Tire pressures are all good it is just a great big tire for me to get used to.

Once I realized I got used to that and was doing foot up U-Turns within minutes. OK so lets ease out onto the highway. OK 80 comes in no time and feels like 40 when you get there. There is torque everywhere. That takes some getting used to. She is faster and gets there way way quicker than I am used to on the Magna, and the Magna is no slouch in the quick category. But the biggest difference is the Magna gives you the sense of speed whereas the 109 is like a Jet aircraft, she is going fast yet it doesn't give you that sensation.

My feet and legs fit perfect once I move a little forward in the seat. However at 5'8" I am extended about as much as I can be without compromising my riding position, or the safety of the placement. If anything I'd like the foot controls to be maybe an inch or so closer to me, but I am just not used to the new extensions on the big ole bike.

Here is the only thing I think I need to change. The hand controls need to be closer to my fingers. The angle is past where my fingers can get leverage properly. Like the levers need to be angled inwards about an inch. I have to really reach and can't use my fingertips like I am used to.

Are there any aftermarket levers that will bring the levers closer to my fingers?

OK and this clutch is pretty touchy. Going to take some getting used to.

I am grinding gears a bit because the clutch has no "free area" of travel. It is hard to know when engagement or disengagement is going to happen. It seems as soon as you move it any, it disengages.

I did about 20 miles on her maiden trip. Tomorrow I will go easily twice that but I would like to start getting the lever thing figured out.

I admit I rode it like a girl today. I wasn't scared of her, but I certainly know I am on a bike that can get me up to warp speed in no time and have to get used to that. The Magna was fast and I had to work my way into that comfort so the 109 is no different, just more of it.

Any pointers gang?
My only point is this-Point the front wheel where you wish to go and hammer down. Relax and enjoy the freedom...........

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
On your distance issue, consider:

Rolling your bars up to parallel to the ground. This brings things back about an inch or so.

The standard cut gel seat puts you 1.5" closer to the bars and foot controls, so you are in a little more relaxed position.

If you still feel like you want the bars closer, there are riser extensions to do just that.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,096 Posts
The brake lever is adjustable, notice the small wheel on top right next to where it pivots. You can turn that and bring the lever back closer to the grip.

I have a fix for the clutch lever too, but I don't have the pictures of it on this PC. It's just a plastic push pin inserted in the cable groove in the lever that keeps the lever from going all the way forward. You install that then readjust the clutch to get the correct free play again. I did it when I installed the ISO grips because they were larger in diameter and made it harder to reach the lever.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It may take a few little adjustments to make it yours but after a few hundred miles it will be like putting on a old pair of jeans. This bike took a little getting use to for me and I have been riding since I was 15 years old.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was having the same problem. I put on the Kuryakyn ISO grips and like Zoom stated, I was having trouble reaching the clutch, and on top of that, after about a half hour of stop and go traffic, my left forearm was on the verge of muscle failure. I even woke up the next day feeling it.

I haven't done anything to fix the distance thing, but I did loosen the cable a bit and had some luck with that. Made it a lot easier to pull on.

Also, I was at a stop light and put the bike in N because I wanted to rest my left hand for a sec, and when I went to throw it back into 1st, it wouldn't go... no prob... gave 2nd a try... nope.

Long story short, if this happens to you, let go of the clutch fully, pull it again and then try 1st.

This is my first fuel injected vehicle ever, and I have to say I'm disappointed trying to cold start this beast, you gotta hold the throttle, or it'll die, why not just put a choke on it? I personally don't know how that works with FI but I'm sure it's out there.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was having the same problem. I put on the Kuryakyn ISO grips and like Zoom stated, I was having trouble reaching the clutch, and on top of that, after about a half hour of stop and go traffic, my left forearm was on the verge of muscle failure. I even woke up the next day feeling it.

I haven't done anything to fix the distance thing, but I did loosen the cable a bit and had some luck with that. Made it a lot easier to pull on.

Also, I was at a stop light and put the bike in N because I wanted to rest my left hand for a sec, and when I went to throw it back into 1st, it wouldn't go... no prob... gave 2nd a try... nope.

Long story short, if this happens to you, let go of the clutch fully, pull it again and then try 1st.

This is my first fuel injected vehicle ever, and I have to say I'm disappointed trying to cold start this beast, you gotta hold the throttle, or it'll die, why not just put a choke on it? I personally don't know how that works with FI but I'm sure it's out there.
Alright I have a few things to comment on-

Forearm getting tired??? really? From pulling the measly clutch lever? Dude... I dont want to embarrass you here. But C'mon! Sounds like you need to buy some grip strengtheners . You'll thank me later.

As for the bike not going into first or second, you have to move the bike forward as you push down on the clutch and blip the throttle. My 07 gsxr did it constantly and it was like nature after awhile.

And your bike dies in a cold start? what? Mine fires right up every time, regardless of the temp of the motor or the temp outside. I would get that checked out brother... you shouldnt have to hold the throttle to keep it from dying.

To the OP, you are doing it right my man. Take it easy and get accustom to this biggin before you get to crazy on her. Otherwise, she will teach you quick what to do and what not to do lol, and thats not what we want.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I came from a 95 Magna, then an 02 Sabre and then the 9. There is no comparison between the Hondas and the 9. It def takes some getting used to.

The only thing I'll add to what has not already been said, is if you roll the handlebars, and then try adjusting the position of the levers, you have to be careful on the clutch side. If you move it too much when you pull in the clutch you'll hit the flash to pass button on the front of the control. Then every time you pull in the clutch your high beam indicator will come on. Then you'll be like, WTF is going on. LOL, it happens to a lot of us.:a20:

Enjoy your new scoot, take the time to get used to it, and enjoy!!:mad:

OH yeah, have you posted pics of it yet?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Congrats on her Maden Voyage !

The levers are Very adjustable , atleast the The front brake is , Zoom just tought me a Trick with the Push Pin Thingy :redfaced:
Check into some Gel seats , your azz will thank You
and the Pedals can be adjusted too, up down in and out :bigthumbsup:

M203R there is something wrong with your Bike , i have never had a starting issue ,get it checked out

Hey Slick , She is a Girl !:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Or one girlie dude.

Lookin' good, chica! :bigthumbsup:

I had the same exact problems you're reporting (I'm 5'7"), with long legs! To ease my clutch issues, I got 2" risers and got the extended (+3) lines to make it easier to drop my bar angle down a little (and not have the issue Big B spoke about). If you look at my bike next to my hubby's, you can see the difference in our bars. That, in addition to putting a little more play in that clutch cable, which was also suggested by someone else, resolved all my issues and now everything is more comfortable and it doesn't kill my little hands to pull that clutch in. We womenz need to make a few adjustments on the Mighty 9, to accommodate our smaller extremities! ;):bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I think everyone gave you the answers you were looking for.
:congrats: on your first ride:bigthumbsup:
Nice pic. The bike looks like it was made for you.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On your distance issue, consider:

Rolling your bars up to parallel to the ground. This brings things back about an inch or so.

The standard cut gel seat puts you 1.5" closer to the bars and foot controls, so you are in a little more relaxed position.

If you still feel like you want the bars closer, there are riser extensions to do just that.
I also had to play around with positioning of the handle bars to get them to a point that made my reach feel a lot less stretched. I found that by lowering the handle bars it made the handle bars feel closer to me as apposed to them being raised up and parrallel to the ground, which made me have to reach/stretch more for the handle bars/grips.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Winter Starting

@ Slick 109R - Haha, the clutch lever IS my grip strengthener:bigthumbsup:

...On a serious note, I broke my left wrist when I was about 13 in a skateboarding accident, it's never been the same.

@ ooinkk & Slick 109R - REALLY? Cause it's like 43 degrees outside when I start it at night and It struggles to stay alive, and usually doesn't. Even in that cold, it's a bad thing? I just thought they should put a choke on it, didn't think it was defective...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
@ Slick 109R - Haha, the clutch lever IS my grip strengthener:bigthumbsup:

...On a serious note, I broke my left wrist when I was about 13 in a skateboarding accident, it's never been the same.

@ ooinkk & Slick 109R - REALLY? Cause it's like 43 degrees outside when I start it at night and It struggles to stay alive, and usually doesn't. Even in that cold, it's a bad thing? I just thought they should put a choke on it, didn't think it was defective...
That's the whole idea of fuel injection. When running right, A choke shouldn't be needed. Mine when cold, Starts right up and idles at around 1500 rpm for a bout 15-20 seconds then slows down to idle. I wish it would idle at 1500 for about a minute or two.

·
Registered
57 Posts

That happens to me every now and again. First time was in traffic and I felt like such a tosser sitting there all cool on my new bike and couldnt even find a cog when light when green. Just release clutch and engage again and you are all good

The TRE unit from Daryn at Track Day Electronics fixed all that. It now starts and Idles and runs GREAT on a cold start up. Best $32 you can spend on the beast......

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.