M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I'm a 24 year old electrical engineer with a penchant for motorcycles. Here is a link describing my addiction.

http://members.cox.net/flummoxed_ee/index_files/Page391.htm

As you can see from the link, my current ride is a CBR600RR (red, of course). I love this bike but around here in FL there is pretty much nothing but straight roads, and I use my bike as a commuter, riding to a from work everyday its not raining. The racing position is not conducive to a relaxing ride ::)

I was initially thinking about purchasing a VTX--that is, until I first laid eyes on the M109R. Though I haven't got one yet, I've really, really been eyeing it hard.

Well, I met a board member for a ride today (Seabee) and he was kind enough to let me take his silver beauty for a little test ride whilst he curled up in a fetal position on my CBR.

Ride Impressions: Highest is 5 thumbs up, lowest zero.

Comfort: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Handling: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Sound: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Power: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Brakes: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Details:
I'm 5'6", 200lbs, with a 30" inseam. The riding position seemed to be made for me. I leaned forward a few degrees though it didn't fatigue my back. I had a little difficulty figuring out exactly how to rest my feet on the pegs, lol. I was very pleased to discover that a windshield is not necessary, even while cruising 70-80mph. Appreantly the tach/headlight nacelle blocks just enough wind. FYI I HATE the look of windshields. My last cruiser (the Vulcan) had no wind protection and the wind beat me to death and made a 70mph cruise un-enjoyable. I would probably give the comfort 5 thumbs up but it felt like the hand grips were at a bit of an odd angle. Not much, but just enough to notice. I don't think my hand would ever go numb on this bike.

I give the handling 3 thumbs up, mainly because I couldn't really test it out too much, but what I did do felt neutral. I couldn't even tell I was sitting on a back tire the size of my car. The bike didn't feel big at all when I was riding--which was surprising given its enormous girth.

The sound was good, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have just a little more volume coming out of the pipes. If/when I buy one, I probably wouldn't bother changing the pipes unless I really had some extra $$ and wanted more power.

Speaking of power, it was pretty good, but not 'blow-my-socks-off' power that I was hoping for. Yes it could get a few bike lengths ahead of my CBR out of the hole, but as soon as the CBR hit the power band, it would walk right past it. However, for a cruiser such as this, the power is respectable. The power started right away and carried through until redline.

Not much to say about the brakes, I wasn't able to test them a lot either, but when I needed to stop there wasn't much effort involved like on some other cruisers I've been on.

Overall vote on the bike: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

When it comes down to it, if I had the money I'd buy one right now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice write up. You are built about same as me and I also thought the bike fit really well for its size. Still don't have one though. I will have to wait till next year per the bosses instructions. Unless of course I get drunk and go to the dealer with my neighbor then its in the bag. Will just have to beg forgiveness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rynosback said:
Sounds great, when are you picking yours up?
I'm in the middle of buying a house...and I want to wait until I turn 25 for the insurance break (November), but trust me, just a soon as I can after that :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where do you live in Florida? I live in the New Port Richey area and have a regular riding route around Brooksville that not only has a lot of curvy roads but also good size hills!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in the Panhandle, Fort Walton Beach to be exact.

Sounds like you have a great place to ride, I'm envious! It's tough to find curves around here. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts