M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new 109 today, and think it's the finest bike I've ever had in 20 years.  I ride a chopper that cost three times as much as the 109, but the differences between the two are like a WWI biplane vs. a Lear Jet in favor of the Suzuki.

Anyway, the ONLY major change I'd like to make on my 109 is finding a cool looking set of handlebars that can change my riding angle from a forward lean to the more traditional cruiser posture.

I'm sure that this would require new forward control cables, but I was wondering if any of you guys could suggest a set of bars that would help me reach my goal, yet still fit nicely in with the lines of the bike.

I'm glad to have found this great forum, and would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Do a search here on turning your bars up some. Many have done it and cant believe the difference. You can use the same cables, but I think you need to grind off some little nubs that get in the way. Many many riders say this helps.
Also look into the kewl metal riser extensions (click the red circle at the topof the page) they will help you lean back and depending on the size you choose may not need new cables either.

Neither of these will make the bars cool, but they will relieve your back

PS

Welcome aboard!!! :welcome: :welcome:

Sledzep

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are you aware of the risers "Big Joe" here on the forum is making? Up to 4"!

·
Registered
306 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I think you need to grind off some little nubs that get in the way.
I just moved my bars WITHOUT moving the electrical controls so far... in part, because I can't figure out how to get the damned things open enough to remove the aforementioned nubs. :verymad: Anyway, I think its going to work fine as is... we'll see in the morning. The big issue was positioning the clutch lever so that it didn't flash the brights when fully engaged. I've got a feeling I may not have raised my bars as much as some here though. Mine are either level or still dipped just slightly below.

·
Registered
750 Posts
First off congratulations. Second have you considered risers to put the bars back closer to you? That is what I would do. :welcome:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, Direct Line has 1" and 2" risers, and Big Joe has 4" (although I have yet to hear back from him on that). Does anyone know if any of these sizes would require new cables, or will the stock cables work? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts