M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Sent my Bro an e-mail with a link to jwebb's "Playing with Colors" post (http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2045.0) and he told me about a recent close call. His transcript is as follows:

"Very cool paint jobs. I'm not riding right now. Last week I was rear ended on my way home from work. Pretty scary man. I heard tires screeching and was smart enough (MSF motorcycle school) to move away from the car in front so I didn't get accordioned. She hit me pretty hard and launched me but I held on and kept it upright. Crushed in my rear fender to the tire. That's about all the damage there was. Seriously scary sh** though. Dropped it off at the dealership and is getting repaired now. I wasn't wearing a helmet but I am from now on. Reality check".

He lives in FL so no helmet law. Anyway, not tryin' to rekindle the Great Helmet vs No Helmet debate... just thought I'd post for the sake that he mentioned the MSF course as something that helped him get out of a potentially life-threatening sit. He's been ridin' for many moons and took that course a while back. Also wanted to add that even experienced riders can gain good habits / situational awareness from the most basic fundamental courses. I've seen a post or two here where people have mentioned that they intend to go thru the course and maybe readin' this will encourage them to do it sooner rather than later. Ride Safe! :doorag:

p.s. I'm gonna have to re-him to find out if a cell-phone, hairbrush, or make-up kit was involved. :dontknow:

G

·
Glad to hear he's okay. Thanks for posting, if nothing more than a reminder for others to take the MSF course! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the great knowledge sharing. Good news he's all right.
Interesting that he was still able to leave himself an out.
That is the key to motorcycle riding, keep a large cushion around you.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In another thread about the JSD-3M there was some mention of the fact that it's not a good habit to sit in traffic with your bike in neutral (if you can avoid it). Aside from making your idle go up (if you have the JSD) -- it makes it very hard to jump outta the way under these circumstances (squealing tires coming from behind).

Yer brother's living proof. Glad only the bike got jammed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts