M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike won’t start it’s not the battery, because I went out and brought a new battery and it still wouldn’t start. I then thought it was something with the fuel pump but I took my gas tank off and put it on my dad’s m109 and his bike started right up. I then changed all 4 spark plugs and it’s still not starting.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,524 Posts
So it cranks OK but doesn't start and run? No FI light showing? Any mods to ignition or fuel system?
Also check the 4 wire plug under the tank. The wires have been known to pull out of the plug, which disables the fuel pump. Do you hear the pump kick on when you turn the key on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it cranks OK but doesn't start and run? No FI light showing? Any mods to ignition or fuel system?
Also check the 4 wire plug under the tank. The wires have been known to pull out of the plug, which disables the fuel pump. Do you hear the pump kick on when you turn the key on?
Yes the fuel pump turns on, and my battery is strong I had it tested. I also just changed all four spark plugs and it’s still not starting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What year is the bike, and what mods have you made to it.
2006 and it has a power commander that’s all I know of it, I just brought the bike April 23 and everything was fine. I took off the headlight assembly and also the rear assembly because I was getting things powder coated, and the bike sat for a month without being started. Two days ago I decided to put back on the gas tank and try to start the bike

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,524 Posts
Sorry about asking about the year, I should have payed more attention to your title.
One of the big issues with the Power Commander is the connectors they use. They use T-taps, which work by cutting into a wire so another wire can be connected with it inside the connector. Over time the cut wire corrodes or eventually breaks and you lose connection to your fuel injectors. With the tank off you should be able to see where they used the taps to connect to the injector wires. If they did it right they stripped the wires and soldered them, but most just use the connectors that were supplied. It could be it was working before you moved the wires around while taking off or putting on parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
my power commander is plug and play ... there is no tapping into wires it's all plugs .. my xjr 1300 was the tapping system but not my 9 ... if the ground wire for the PC is not grounded right the bike wont start i had my ground wire on the negative side of the battery ..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine won’t either start now and I am going to replace starter when I get back from vacation. If not that it will be stator and/or rectifier. Battery new.
Have you tested the starter? Please, whatever you do, do not just throw parts at it. A stator and a rectifier are far different problems then the starter. if you tell us what is happening when you try to start it, or a video, more then likely we can tell you what is wrong or get you down the path that is not going to cost you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can hear the starter cranking or not . If not , then you replace it , but if you hear it turning the engine and the bike doesn`t start , then it is something else .
I installed an X-TRE long ago (2013 M109R) along with a manual calibrated tri-pot Cobra fuel management (at the time there was the only option) and I soldered all wire connections ... never has had a single problem at all . The bike has worked flawlessly since then .
I just replaced the spark plugs at 8300 miles (the manual spec says to do at 7000 miles) I used the standard factory plugs and since I took the gas tank off, I went and also replaced the gas pump filter ($81.00 at the dealer , a total rip-off if you ask me) which it didn`t look that bad but I did it to have a peace of mind , anyway . The dealer recommend to also replace the pump`s rubber seal to prevent the possibility of leaks , so there went another $20.00 + tax , lol...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts