M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys got everything set and it looks as I will take one of my nines from venezuela to Ecuador. They will give me a permit to keep the bike there up to 6 mos if I´m lucky. So will show them ecuadorian HD a-holes what a real machine is all about.
now my big question is: it is a loooong ride. Will go thru two countries. Bad roads, holes, etc.
What types of tools and spare parts should take?
What type of preventive maintenance should I do to the bike?
It is an estimated three day ride.
Bought some stuff that supposedly prevents flats but then someone told me that it really disbalances the tire and makes it vibrate like crazy.

Please you more expert guys, some advise will be very welcome. Will plan the trip for middle of february.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I would stay away from the fix-a-flat style products since they make so much of a mess out of your wheel and tire.
I would pack a 12v compressor, tire plug/patch kit, a good set of metric allen wrenches, small metric ratchet/wrench kit, spare fuses and have a couple good flashlights. And don't forget your axle removal tool, since that might be a hard tool to come by in an unfamiliar are. Also you might think about some sort of mesh over your radiator to keep small rocks or debris from making a hole.

If the roads are in a very bad state of disrepair, why don't you just trailer your 9 to Ecquador?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that is a good idea. have someone trailer behind...making sure we carry some cheap gas from venezuela since it is so expensive elsewhere...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tire repair tools??? they dont have such things here. any special kit you recommend so I can have it bought there and also a link to a good 12 compressor would be nice. Thanks jd and the rest of you guys

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The tools are included in the kit usually, there should be a T handle rasp to open up the puncture hole and also a plug tool (pushes the plug into the tire)

Here is a link to the same compressor that I have and it works very nicely. Just make sure you wire up a 12V cigarette lighter style outlet to your 109, or you can cut the plug off the compressor and put some alligator clips on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP02-12-Volt-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ENQRD2

Here is a good plug/patch (repair) kit. I carry a plug kit so that I don't have to dismount the tire in the event of roadside repair. I know it works since I repaired my friends tire in his M3 on the Autobahn and still drove 150+ mph after the repair (not the smartest thing to do, but we were in a hurry).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...---Clear-Victor_1060003-P_N3190_A|GRP2068____

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tools are included in the kit usually, there should be a T handle rasp to open up the puncture hole and also a plug tool (pushes the plug into the tire)

Here is a link to the same compressor that I have and it works very nicely. Just make sure you wire up a 12V cigarette lighter style outlet to your 109, or you can cut the plug off the compressor and put some alligator clips on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP02-12-Volt-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ENQRD2

Here is a good plug/patch (repair) kit. I carry a plug kit so that I don't have to dismount the tire in the event of roadside repair. I know it works since I repaired my friends tire in his M3 on the Autobahn and still drove 150+ mph after the repair (not the smartest thing to do, but we were in a hurry).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...---Clear-Victor_1060003-P_N3190_A|GRP2068____
Thanks my friend. some times it may seem that I ask a lot but most of the time I´m far away from a computer. As a matter of fact it is 4:40 here now and got up at four to cacth with the e mails, etc. So beleive me I really appreciate all the help you guys give me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts