M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this past weekend, took the C on a 500km trip to Sydney, Cape Breton, NS, for the second annual "Thunder In The Highlands" bike rally. The trip up was great and we were staying with friends of the family and we arrived shortly before supper Friday to a huge meal prepared for us.

Saturday, we got up and went to the drag races. Me and my dad went just to "run for fun" and see who could beat each other out. My dad drives an 2008 M109R and I drive the 2008 C109r. I ended up besting him 4 out of 7 times, with most our runs separated by about 3 tenths of a second. We were just messing around when they announced they were gonna run a cruiser/bagger class for some little awards. We said screw it and entered the over 100ci class.

I ended up talking it home, with only a best run of 13.150 at 100.8 MPH, Dad finished close but not quite there with a 13.248 and 105 MPH.
Was fun beating the VTX's though.

All went well until later that night we were heading to the street dance downtown and taking off from the first intersection I ran in to something that occasionally happens on my bike, clutch shudder. For some reason, when the clutch was slipping as I was bouncing forward I hit the throttle a bit to bring it out of it, and the clutch stop slipping right at that moment and before I realized what had happened, the bike was over on it's right side on top of me.

Some people pulled the bike off me and hit the kill switch and got man did it hurt like hell, but I am ok except for some bruises and minor road rash. I landed mostly on my right hip and it is still sore and bruised but I got some decent meds.

As for the bike, It's all cosmetic damage, and it still runs and everything, my dad drove it up to the ramp to load it on his truck and he noticed no problems. I scraped the exhaust, intake covers, and front fender. I put a nice dent in the headlight, ripped the front signal light off, and put a minor dent in the tank, and destroyed the boulevard emblem on the tank. (time for a debadge lol)

My father has already replaced his entire clutch assembly to ensure his bike did not shudder, at a great cost to himself.

This is not the first time my clutch has shudder but it is mostly in cooler weather, although it was cool up there that night. I don't know if dragging it really affected it or not, I can't really see it, as I never really abused it, just hammered it down the track.

I guess I am just writing this to let people know that clutch shudder can be a very serious problem and unless you react correctly to this design flaw (and that is what it is) you may very well end up in the same boat I am in.

I am sure if I would of just held the clutch back in and put my feet down I would of been ok, but your mind doesn't always work that way when you panic.

Hopefully the service bulletin Suzuki has out will help people having this problem, but it should be a total RECALL. This is not an issue that should be taking lightly and if I someone would of came through that intersection and hit me I might not be here to spread this message.

I personally hope that after I get all the cosmetic damaged is fixed I have no trouble getting my clutch repaired/replaced by Suzuki, even though it is not under warranty.

Keep the shiny side up,
Ogre

·
Registered
11 Posts
C109R Clutch Shudder

My C109R is a 2008 model, out of warranty, with 15,000 miles on the odometer. I have also experienced Clutch Shudder. Had it almost do exactly the same thing at a busy intersection, in town, in heavy traffic. So....I called the local dealer where I purchased the bike, surprisingly they said they had never heard of such a thing but took my VIN and ran a search for a Service Bulletin. Came back and said no such SB exists applicable to my VIN. Said they couldn't and would not do anything for me. Hmmmm. I had read on this site, in previous posts, about Ryan at Mountain Motorsports in Monroe Washington (near Seattle), Called him and described the problem. Wonderful service, Said he knew of the problem, had repaired several on the M109's and GSXR's, offered to put a call in to Suzuki and discuss my bike.

So while I waited for him to call back I called my local dealer again and discussed the lack of a proper service response from them. Gee they all of a sudden got helpful and said they would also follow up with calls to Suzuki. Turns out they are getting a kit of replacement parts to fix the problem and they are going to do the work with no cost to me.

Ryan from Motorsports called be back and said he had talked to Suzuki but that he did not want to duplicate the work of my local dealer. I thanked him for his effort and agreed to work through my local dealer. If Monroe was just a little closer than my local dealer I would certainly give him my business from now on.

When the parts get in and my local dealeer repairs my clutch I'll post a list of the parts they replaced and what was found during inspection. I have no idea if the parts are standard stock parts or factory modified parts. I will attempt to compare stock part numbers and new part numbers when I have it all done.

More to follow.

MarkD

·
Registered
7 Posts
How many Klms

Hey Ogre,

How many Klics on your bike when this began, I hav a 2008 with 8000klms on it but no problems yet.

Jerry

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welll

The first time I experienced it was right around 15000 kms or so. It's not all that often, mostly just cold mornings and sometimes when you least expect it.
On a positive note, bike is back from paint already so I just need to find a stock intake cover, and a couple exhaust pieces and I am back to looking good. I did something a little different, so if the sun comes out I'll snap some pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Paint

My C fell over on a hot day in Moncton and I dented the tank as well, have not had it painted yet, so I am curious about what you did. You would think that after 20+ years of riding, I would remember that pavement gets real soft on hot days....Duh!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get some in between pics up soon, It's not done yet so you'll have to wait a bit for the final product

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clutch Update

Clutch parts have arrived at the dealer, Scheduled to take bike in tomorrow, Thursday, afternoon for repair. Service rep said it would take around 45 minutes to 1 hour for the work. I'll get the list of updated parts and pull a list of stock parts and compare during my hour wait. I will post results as soon as I can.

More to follow.

MarkD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clutch parts: Update Continued

Clutch has been repaired by my local dealer/shop. THe following is a listing of the parts removed and the new parts reinstalled by part numbers:

Old (Original) Parts:

ref # from service manual /Part Number /description of part

6 / 21441-48G10 / Drive plate # 2
12 / 21471-48G00 / Seat, Wave Washer

New Parts:

21441-48G40 / Drive Plate # 2
21471-48G00-X17 / Wave Washer

The new Drive Plate may have been a bit thicker, Unfortunately I did not have a way to measure the parts while I was there and the parts were returned to Suzuki for evaluation. There was very little noticable wear or marking on the removed parts. There was a bit of wear product sludge on the non-contact surfaces of the drive plate. The clutch had an appropriate amount of oil, (i.e. the clutch was not dry), when disassembled.

Since last Friday I have ridden the bike at least 500miles in several different rides. No problem with the clutch. It performs smoothly and with out any grabbing or chatter as before the replaced parts installation.

The only other thing different was that the shop put in the Suzuki brand oil, 10W-40 grade, type MA. I have been running 20W-50 grade, type SF/SE. I am now researching the difference between type MA and SF/SE oils to determine if the additives are significant enough to have been a factor in the clutch performance. So, I may post the findings on the oil additives in a new post after I get more information.

Hope this information will help others that may have similar performance issues.

Later,

MarkD

·
Registered
242 Posts
Clutch has been repaired by my local dealer/shop. THe following is a listing of the parts removed and the new parts reinstalled by part numbers:

Old (Original) Parts:

ref # from service manual /Part Number /description of part

6 / 21441-48G10 / Drive plate # 2
12 / 21471-48G00 / Seat, Wave Washer

New Parts:

21441-48G40 / Drive Plate # 2
21471-48G00-X17 / Wave Washer

The new Drive Plate may have been a bit thicker, Unfortunately I did not have a way to measure the parts while I was there and the parts were returned to Suzuki for evaluation. There was very little noticable wear or marking on the removed parts. There was a bit of wear product sludge on the non-contact surfaces of the drive plate. The clutch had an appropriate amount of oil, (i.e. the clutch was not dry), when disassembled.

Since last Friday I have ridden the bike at least 500miles in several different rides. No problem with the clutch. It performs smoothly and with out any grabbing or chatter as before the replaced parts installation.

The only other thing different was that the shop put in the Suzuki brand oil, 10W-40 grade, type MA. I have been running 20W-50 grade, type SF/SE. I am now researching the difference between type MA and SF/SE oils to determine if the additives are significant enough to have been a factor in the clutch performance. So, I may post the findings on the oil additives in a new post after I get more information.

Hope this information will help others that may have similar performance issues.

Later,

MarkD
Any chance you got a copy of that service bulletin?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is when you clutch doesn't not properly disengage when you let it out, and it "shudders" on and off it seems causing vibration and a hell of a scare.

·
Registered
41 Posts
re clutch shudder

mine was doing the same thing,happened 3 or 4 times,clutch starts making a hell of a noise while you start releasing the clutch lever

took it to suzuki who drill some holes in the clutch plate bigger and used a thicker grade oil,i did'nt pay for this,seems it's a 'suzuki' problem

since then i have had no more problems

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reply to CFLAP

There is no actual Service Bulletin that Suzuki would admit to. For the West Coast dealers there is a guy in California who is the Factory Service representative that all the dealers clear any Warranty work through for "Factory Authorization" prior to any actual work. They want to be sure they are going to be compensated for the work before they do it.

The factory service rep was the guy that authorized the work on my "Out Of Warranty" bike. The clutch problem seems to be well known by Suzuki but does not meet the liability criteria for a "Service Bulletin" or "Maintenance Recall" yet. I think they are still gathering data.

The threads on the M109 about the clutch issue are quite extensive and I did a lot of research before I took the bike to the dealer. Seems I was able to say all the right words and terms and they did respond favorably.

I did have several long discussions about the type and grade of oil I had been using. (Automotive 20W-50 vs 10W-40 Type MA) The mechanics and service folks I have discussed this with do not recommend any type of Synthetic oil for the 109. They all seemed to agree on using an oil formulated for wet clutch application specifically Type MA.

I have been researching the oil thing....there are a lot of different and some completely wrong opinions. I'm not bold enough to make a recommendation on oil. I'm going to run the factory 10W-40 Type MA from now on.

Do your own research and "GO BIG or STAY HOME" .

Later,

MarkD

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is no actual Service Bulletin that Suzuki would admit to. For the West Coast dealers there is a guy in California who is the Factory Service representative that all the dealers clear any Warranty work through for "Factory Authorization" prior to any actual work. They want to be sure they are going to be compensated for the work before they do it.

The factory service rep was the guy that authorized the work on my "Out Of Warranty" bike. The clutch problem seems to be well known by Suzuki but does not meet the liability criteria for a "Service Bulletin" or "Maintenance Recall" yet. I think they are still gathering data.

The threads on the M109 about the clutch issue are quite extensive and I did a lot of research before I took the bike to the dealer. Seems I was able to say all the right words and terms and they did respond favorably.

I did have several long discussions about the type and grade of oil I had been using. (Automotive 20W-50 vs 10W-40 Type MA) The mechanics and service folks I have discussed this with do not recommend any type of Synthetic oil for the 109. They all seemed to agree on using an oil formulated for wet clutch application specifically Type MA.

I have been researching the oil thing....there are a lot of different and some completely wrong opinions. I'm not bold enough to make a recommendation on oil. I'm going to run the factory 10W-40 Type MA from now on.

Do your own research and "GO BIG or STAY HOME" .

Later,

MarkD
I was tinking on switching to the synthetic blend that Suzuki formulated for the V-Twin, besides the bottle has the boulevard emblem on the bottle. Also I am sticking with oil formulted for bikes, since there is a slight formula difference

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Mark, thanks for the info

My 08 has 68,000km on her and I JUST started experiencing this, only leaving a stop in first gear.

If I engage the clutch immediately (drop it) it doesn't happen, but on the rare occasion when I'm riding the clutch a little, I feel it.

I'll check into these ideas and thanks to all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts