M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the poor quality, but I took these with a digital from other photos on my dining room table. Please, for those that love you, Wear your gear! You can never tell when an idiot driver will take you out like this. Lady in the Silver Volvo lost control on the other side of the 4-lane, slid through the median and hit the red car right beside me head on. Witnesses said she was going atleast 80 in a 65 before losing control. My injuries, 1" skull fracture behind left ear (Luckily, I did have a full face lid on) Broken left wrist and left thumb, diagnosed with tennis elbow. Dr. said it was from grabbing the front brake so hard (this still hurts today, 6 months later. It has turned out to be worse than all the other injuries combined) A very special thanks to my Joe rocket leather jacket and gloves, combined, they saved much rash, and thanks to my levis jean gear, 2 rashed knees. Levis doesn't protect at 65mph...

The car that caused it ended up in the same wrecker yard as my bike....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob! Yeah my recovery is pretty much complete now. I still have issues with my tennis elbow (I couldn't believe the Dr. diagnosed it as that. LOL. I never even thought of playing tennis.... He said it was a result of grabbing the brake so hard though) other than that I'm healded up. Special thanks to the 109, after picking it up 4 weeks ago it helped with the emotional issues. I don't even miss that CBR600RR anymore.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Man, you are extremely lucky to be here. If you were in the red car's lane you most likely would not be here today. Was anybody killed in that wreck? It definitely looks bad enough. Glad you were geared up. I imagine your choice of gear for the 109 will remain the same... except maybe some decent pants instead of plain jeans huh? Also great to hear you have not hung up riding after your wreck. My biggest obstacle will be my wife if I ever take a spill. She doesn't really like me riding now, so I know it will be bad if I actually get hurt. I'll get more "I told ya so's" than I care for I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
backinthesaddle said:
SilveRRocket,

Where in Alabama along 431 did this happen? Glad you made it okay. Did the lady that caused this get ticketed for speeding and/or reckless driving? She SHOULD have spent some time in jail, IMO.
It happened right outside of Anniston, in Alexandria. I live in Gadsden and work in Anniston at the Army Depot and I was headed to work that morning. The last I heard from the troopers about a month ago, they called me asking questions and told me the DA was pressing charges on her. She was unemployed, uninsured, driving her boyfriends 2003 Volvo (luckily his insurance stepped up to the plate) taking her son to a band meeting at his school from what I hear. Luckily her son was treated and released that night.

I would seriously ask for those of y'all who pray, Please pray for Amber. This is the girl that was going the same way as me and took the head on lick from this nondriving idiot. Last I heard, Amber (the driver of the red car) has had numerous surgeries on her left leg, one surgery on her right leg and she also had head trauma, although Amber, as last I heard, was "off" in the head still and this accident happened back in April, Thank God I was able to fully recover from my head trauma.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Medic1210 said:
Man, you are extremely lucky to be here. If you were in the red car's lane you most likely would not be here today. Was anybody killed in that wreck? It definitely looks bad enough. Glad you were geared up. I imagine your choice of gear for the 109 will remain the same... except maybe some decent pants instead of plain jeans huh? Also great to hear you have not hung up riding after your wreck. My biggest obstacle will be my wife if I ever take a spill. She doesn't really like me riding now, so I know it will be bad if I actually get hurt. I'll get more "I told ya so's" than I care for I'm sure.
Nobody was killed, Amber as I just posted, last I heard just a few weeks ago, is still not right in the head though and it's been 6 months now. I do have Icons knee and shin guard (the one you slide on like socks) ordered. Unfortunately, they have been on back order since I got my 109 4 weeks ago. As far as the wife goes, she had to put up with me in withdrawals for 5 months after my wreck. I swear I use to smoke and going without nicotine was easier for me than doing without a bike, they make patches to quit cigarettes, no patch at all for a motorcycle addiction... Plus the wife rides also, she has her own Honda Rebel 250cc, although she doesn't know if she's going to ever get back on it, since my wreck she has yet to do so and I am not pushing her to. If I had to go through what she had to, I don't think I would ever have let her get back on one. She is an extraordinary woman, this I know now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would only change one word from the other post...that word would be BLESSED!! You are indeed blessed to have survived such a bad accident. I do pray and I am praying for you and for Amber, as I do all the riders on this site daily. I was in a near fatal accident 4 yrs ago and I was driving a car. Knowing I could have died that day has changed how I interact with my family and friends and increased my faith in God. I pray that this experience ultimately becomes positive for you and for your family. Ride careful and be blessed!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some of my gear pictures, for those of you that choose to wear half helmet, pay close attention to where some of the deep gashes are, specially along the chin bar and the lower back of my lid.
This is where I ended up with the skull fracture, just behind my left ear (the impact zone, I think) and no, my visor (shield) wasn't found, I don't guess....

The rest of the lid

Now for those that choose not to wear jackets, notice the deep scratches in this leather...

Believe it or not, these gloves did save me a lot of pain, didn't save me from all, but a lot.

Guys in my opinion, sportbike riders and those of us that choose to ride these power cruisers are some of the best drivers in the world (we have to be) but still, I hope y'all choose to wear your gear guys, if not for yourselves, for those that love you. This is a testament, we can drive/ride our butts off, but we can never control or tell how good that other driver is....

Yeah Bullie, you're correct, I truly am blessed to be able to see my daughters and entire family here in this world some more. I believe Gods word when he told us we all have an appointed time, I don't believe we'll go before or after that time. I just Thank him that wasn't my appointment time on April 18th. I lost my Dad when I was 13 and I'm extremely grateful that my 19, 16 & 14 year old daughters don't have to go through what I did.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Wow! I'm amazed at how shredded those gloves are. Makes me definitely reconsider riding with my lightweight riding gloves with the soft imitation leather in the palm. Bad road rash on the palms of the hands can mean severe loss of mobility/dexterity/function. That's a real eye opener for sure. Thanks for posting these pics. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I need to rethink my Glove and Leg protection... Those gloves look much heavier then mine and they are shredded.

I can only imagine what a pair of Levi's would look like after that wreck!

·
Registered
306 Posts
JUtah said:
I need to rethink my Glove and Leg protection...
I'm not seeing leg protection pictures here at all. Were there some? Its the last piece of armor I need to add before I start upgrading! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, those gloves pretty much did shred, but thing about it is, I didn't have that much damage to my hands... All in all they protected OK, not great, but better than no gloves at all. Also JUtah, there was no leg protection at all.... Thanks to the Levi's jeans, I did have shredded knee caps though. Speaking of, I'll be soooo glad when my Icon knee and shin guards come in, they've been on back order since I got my 109, 4 weeks ago.... All gear is recommended, now I also believe highly in leg gear also......

·
Registered
30 Posts
you are one Lucky dude. Glad your OK. 2 friend were just in a accident 2 weeks ago. he was teaching a friend to ride when they were going down a country road and a SUV ran a stop sign, they dumped the bike and go run over b y the truck. the bike was wedged under the truck and one had a tire make on her chest and 500 stitches on her legs. He was bruised bad but OK. You never know when some :edit: driver is going to think they don't need to obey the rules of the road and put you in danger because of their stupidity.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm glad to here you are o.k.! I was taken out by a car 18 years ago at 75 mph. I had on full gear (with the exception of Levis). It saved my hide! Seeing what you went through is another reminder to wear all your gear, all the time!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
M109LOVER said:
Here is a thread with some good gear info.

Glad your OK :bigthumbsup: and yes the right gear can save a life, or at the least, a lot of pain.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=6209.0
Thanks all and yes M109Lover thanks also I have seen that thread already, I've even posted my new helmet and glove pictures in it already, I would have put my new Joe Rocket jacket photos in it but I've yet to get any of my new jacket yet. I need to get me some of the pants in there, I need to find some good over-pants seeing how I ride 32.5 miles to work on good days. Again, thanks all, it's awesome to be recovered and back on two wheels again!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If you like Joe Rocket stuff you need to check out their Ballistic 5.0 pants . I rode for about 2hrs last night at around 35 degrees , other than need a way to secure the bottom against air going up them they were great. Over about 65 degrees they get a little warm though(haven't tried them without jeans under them yet though), I need to pick another pair with a removeable liner to wear when its gets warm next spring :bigthumbsup: that reminds me I need to get a warm weather jacket too :p

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bonehead said:
If you like Joe Rocket stuff you need to check out their Ballistic 5.0 pants . I rode for about 2hrs last night at around 35 degrees , other than need a way to secure the bottom against air going up them they were great. Over about 65 degrees they get a little warm though(haven't tried them without jeans under them yet though), I need to pick another pair with a removeable liner to wear when its gets warm next spring :bigthumbsup: that reminds me I need to get a warm weather jacket too :p
Thanks, I hadn't really even thought about them. I've had Icons knee and shin guards that slip on like socks under jeans ordered since right after I picked up my new 109 over 4 weeks ago and they are still on back order as I called to check on them this afternoon. Sorry for the reaction I gave you in that other thread, after seeing what I just survived from the pictures in this thread, maybe you understand, Now I just think all half helmets and no helmet laws should be abolished after surviving this wreck. Yes, I understand everyone has the right to choose, but,,,,,,,...... Again, Sorry for the way I reacted. Later, Brian.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
silveRRocket said:
Thanks all and yes M109Lover thanks also I have seen that thread already, I've even posted my new helmet and glove pictures in it already, I would have put my new Joe Rocket jacket photos in it but I've yet to get any of my new jacket yet. I need to get me some of the pants in there, I need to find some good over-pants seeing how I ride 32.5 miles to work on good days. Again, thanks all, it's awesome to be recovered and back on two wheels again!
silveRRocket,

I don't know if this helps but those leather Frank Thomas armored pants are the best I have seen for a cruiser rider. They are very close to race pants but look darn good because they are all Black.- They actually look like black jeans from a distance.

Maybe you could strap the work pants to the bike and wear the leathers while riding to and from work.

Just trying to think outside the box. ::)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts