M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to take my 109 around turns like a sport bike, but them footpegs scrape way too quick! I know the bike is capable of taking turns faster and at a far greater leaning angle, is there any way to move the footpegs upwards a inch or two higher? Perhaps a kit? I know that would present a problem with the shifter and brake arm but perhaps they could be adjusted equally?

This bike is capable of going much faster through the turns if it wasn't limited by the footpegs rubbing the ground and sending a shockwave up through my legs! Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

EFE M109

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeh mate I rub the heels of my boots first then I roughly know how much to the pegs and then they scrape and I roughly know I can go a bit more before the frame rubs and at that point I know enuff is enuff settle myself down and think its a cruiser you idiot not a busa then start enjoying the ride again until the next corner and repeat all those steps again I wouldnt trade it back for a sportsbike if someone gave me one and doubled my money back

·
Registered
192 Posts
While my GSX-R is down, I've been having to make due with the 109 on my Sunday morning sportbike rides. At first I noticed the bike turned pretty good. I was even turning in too much and had to learn to adjust with the throttle. But then pegs started dragging, and I became a bit terrified going into turns too fast, especially ones I don't know very well. After about 3-4 rides, I finally got the technique down that I think gets the most out of the bike. First off, much like a sportbike, you must move your foot to where you are riding on the ball of the foot. Second, you have have to hang out a bit. I find the Ben Spies style works best for me (upper body, elbows out) to reduce lean angle. So, Saturday I felt like I was doing good with this, and when we stopped for lunch I had no chicken strip in the rear, and I really wasn't dragging the pegs much! It's very demanding and tiring though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
There is a picture someone posted of what the bottom of his pipes looked like when he tried to go beyond the peg feelers. I personally don't want to be rubbing chrome parts on the pavement so I'll let the peg feelers be my guide :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
There is a picture someone posted of what the bottom of his pipes looked like when he tried to go beyond the peg feelers. I personally don't want to be rubbing chrome parts on the pavement so I'll let the peg feelers be my guide :bigthumbsup:
Agreed. Peg feelers are there to let you know when to stop so your shiny bits don't get ruined.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
L-Train said:
Agreed. Peg feelers are there to let you know when to stop so your shiny bits don't get ruined.
1+. Move your pegs up, and you will not have much warning before the hard parts like the frame or pipes touch down. Do that, and you remove weight off your tires which takes traction with it. Don't want to fall down go boom.

·
Registered
379 Posts
How much further could you lean anyway? I scraped once and I was leaning heavily when it happened. :eek: Teed me off also. Cause now I have a scratch on my peg tip. :joke:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
red1951man said:
How much further could you lean anyway? I scraped once and I was leaning heavily when it happened. :eek: Teed me off also. Cause now I have a scratch on my peg tip. :joke:
A scratch on your peg tip? That's interesting, because the pegs have nubs/feelers under them that scrape and lift the peg before the peg itself touches. Don't know what you hit that would have actually scraped the tip of the peg itself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wonder if Lamonster has scraped his bike since he put the air ride kit.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the previous post: The most interesting part of the "air-lowering" system is that you can use it ro RAISE the bike -- the pegs, the pipes, the whole deal.

Frankly, I'm not too concerned how the bike looks sitting at curb-side. I'm wondereing if (with a little tweaking) the "air-lowering" kit could be biased towards RAISING. That way you could raise it for the twisties, and lower it back to normal for "commuting".
(It know the current kit does this to some extent, but it seems to be MOSTLY for lowering [I believe]).

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
tomph1 said:
Yeah, I agree with the previous post: The most interesting part of the "air-lowering" system is that you can use it ro RAISE the bike -- the pegs, the pipes, the whole deal.

Frankly, I'm not too concerned how the bike looks sitting at curb-side. I'm wondereing if (with a little tweaking) the "air-lowering" kit could be biased towards RAISING. That way you could raise it for the twisties, and lower it back to normal for "commuting".
(It know the current kit does this to some extent, but it seems to be MOSTLY for lowering [I believe]).
This kit is built a little long just for that reason. :doorag: You can pump up the air when you need it in the twisties and have more clearance than stock and then you can lower it for cruising. :doorag: :super:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts