M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i m riding to work this morning, go on some highways and smaller surface streets. I came around one bend on the interstate and got hit by a motorcycle cop running radar. He motioned to me to slow it down a little. i nodded in acknowledgement and slowed down. Then about 20 min later different city, different motorcycle cop got me on radar and just motioned for me to slow down once again i nodded. Both times i was well over 20 mph above the posted speed limits. Guess they are a little more relaxed when it comes to our brothers in arms. Props to the motorcycle cops of Denver and Westminster (suburb north of Denver)

·
Registered
254 Posts
ps.: remember CHiPs???[/glow]

Luckily I think it's a fraternity thing with all cops and cruiser type bikes. I blew trough a trap Sunday on the way to Ephrata doing almost 90. I think they look at riders on our style bikes as responsible as well as somewhat upscale versus crotch rockets.
Fingers are crossed.

P.S.
I always liked "Ponch's" partner better.....

I feel a vote coming on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
dicarlos said:
Luckily I think it's a fraternity thing with all cops and cruiser type bikes. I blew trough a trap Sunday on the way to Ephrata doing almost 90. I think they look at riders on our style bikes as responsible as well as somewhat upscale versus crotch rockets.
You're not suggesting they're "profiling" are you ? ! ! ! ! !  :cop:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Only those with a towel over their shoulder

·
Registered
702 Posts
dicarlos said:
...I blew trough a trap Sunday on the way to Ephrata doing almost 90. I think they look at riders on our style bikes as responsible ...
I've gone through that trap too. My theory is that it doesn't LOOK like were trying to go fast because of the cruiser riding position,
similar how I've not had any tickets in my 4 wheeled vehicles (knock, knock) since I changed to luxury sedans from muscle cars.

I don't crouch onto the tank anymore unless I'm going over 120 or so, or unless I've been riding all day :doorag:

And another thing about dropping the bike because it's HEAVY. I'm not extraordinarily strong, 6'3, 265 or so, no impressive bench press numbers and I don't do any leg work at all. I've had the bike almost to the peg at least 3 times and just decided I'm NOT going to drop my new baby, so I pulled it back up. I'm not saying people can always avoid dropping the bike, I'm saying sometimes if you apply your will to something, your body might surprise you and respond to the challenge.

·
Registered
254 Posts
GTBozak said:
I've gone through that trap too. My theory is that it doesn't LOOK like were trying to go fast because of the cruiser riding position,
similar how I've not had any tickets in my 4 wheeled vehicles (knock, knock) since I changed to luxury sedans from muscle cars.

I don't crouch onto the tank anymore unless I'm going over 120 or so, or unless I've been riding all day :doorag:

And another thing about dropping the bike because it's HEAVY. I'm not extraordinarily strong, 6'3, 265 or so, no impressive bench press numbers and I don't do any leg work at all. I've had the bike almost to the peg at least 3 times and just decided I'm NOT going to drop my new baby, so I pulled it back up. I'm not saying people can always avoid dropping the bike, I'm saying sometimes if you apply your will to something, your body might surprise you and respond to the challenge.
My friend I saw you in person on Sunday, I'm not quite sure what you're referencing, but I never had a concern at all, I did have the steering locked if I seemed preoccupied, that being said if I had to pick someone to bet my life on holding a bike up, I couldn't think of a better bet than you. How was your open house? I assume it was as such with a 1:00 time line. If so I was wondering afterwards, do you ride to the site? Real Estate being such a mind game sometimes.
It was cool meeting you, hope to ride sometime as well. The trap I went through was on the 30 bypass, he was in the median strip, hopefully with a freshly dipped French Crueler to thwart his pursuit. :duck:

G

·
Don, I was going to say the same thing. I am no little guy, but if I had a choice of guys to ride with as a body guard Eric would be my choice. What do you have bro 1% body fat? On my best day, I don't look like you. I am sure you have no problem with the 109. You seem to handle her with no problem at all. Great riding with you yesterday. Looking forward to more riding in the near future.

If they let you slide on the 30 bypass you are doing pretty good. They caught my daughter two weeks ago there. $166.00 and 4 points. Be careful there speedy. You got lucky for sure, but it is my experience, especially on that road, that the norm is usually a ticket.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The bike.....

they just love the bike.

After I turned left on 23, I don't know if you remember the group of bikes that were behind me. They looked like a casting call from "Any Which Way You Can".
They followed me down 23. One thing we need to get used to is people's close attention to the bike. From cops to grandmothers, they don't mean to tailgate, they're checking out what the hell we are riding. I was a little unsettled when finally at a light I hear them yelling to each other each ones guesses as to what I'm riding. My usual grin of relief came over me. At the next light this scruffy barbarion pulls along side of me and what seemed to be his best 'Eddie Haskel' voice chimed "Gee mister, your bike sure looks swell, who manufactures such a fine vehicle".... well that what it sounded like by that point.

It's gotta be the bike

G

·
When we were at the light, he yelled over to me and asked if it was the new Yamaha and I said no, Suzuki. He was very complimentary. It was funny because they kept looking at yours in front of them and then over at mine beside them trying to figure out if they were the same bike or not.

They looked like a casting call from "Any Which Way You Can"
Dude, you are brutal. Funny, but brutal.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The light I heard them at was with you.... I thought you were further back. Truth be told they were acftually pretty handy. With my signals on the fritz I just barked out "Left turn, Clyde"

Just giggles

·
Registered
702 Posts
You boys gave me a few things to reply to.

It's confirmed, NOT the same speed trap on the 30 bypass. Last time I was there that guy was laying in the middle of the road....

I based my "cruisers don't speed" conclusion on riding with 2 sportbikes on RT15 between 70 and 30 a few days ago. We were just about to blast by a cop when they braked, HARD. Since we were exercising proper following distance and were in loose formation doing aobut 90, I slowed up to their speed just as I got next to the rear tire of one of the other riders. They both assumed the "sportbike on a cruise" pose (clutch hand on the hip, sitting upright) just as we passed the cop. I didn't change position at all, just kept on rolling, thinking "this M is so cool, for so many different reasons 8)"

Don, when you let me sit on your bike to try the seat mod, I think we both knew I wasn't going to drop your bike, just for 2 slightly different reasons. Nice seat by the way. I like how much lower the riding position is. Your custom plate in your sig looks much better than my vandalism in the Ephrata pics thread :joke: O.H. was great, on time as always. Had time to put on my "neat and clean" and everything. Yes, your humor is brutal. People say that about mine too, once they get to know me. We'll ride soon.

Bruno, great riding with you. Incredible call on the breakfast spot, as we were able to see the bike parade into the campground :bigthumbsup:

Back to the thread....

I try to ride on less busy roads at less busy times, in the effort to travel when the police aren't getting their best "lawbreaker per minute" ratio. it's like avoiding Walmart on Sundays.

I'm lucky every time I'm on the bike. I have my health, my bike, great roads to ride, thanking God everyday for my blessings. It's the most fun I've had since I was about 11 years old and someone else was paying all of my bills :joke:

No tickets for anyoneon this site on this bike. It looks and performs too good/well. Just slow down quickly and glance in yor mirror. if you need to stop, assume it's because they want to see your beastly Suzuki up close and be ready to talk bike with the protectors of society. :cop:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts