• Other (Fill in below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll,

When I first became interested in Motorcycles my parents were adimit that I take the MSF course and buy proper gear. So I took the course after I went down twice in my neighborhood. I figured i might want to learn how to ride right. Since then I have been a complete advocate of the program. I learned so much from the course and my skills went up 10 fold. I haven't taken the Experienced course quite yet. My plan is to do that next summer.

I was just curious on what courses other people have taken and what they thought.

·
Registered
752 Posts
When I first started dating my wife she bought a bike. I insisted that she finish a basic course before we went anywhere. I think it really helped her and it made me feel safer about her riding.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My wife and I both took it together (I rode 15 years ago but wanted a refresher). At the time she only "wanted to know how" but didn't want her own bike. 3500 miles later on her Ninja (we took the course last September) she's looking at upgrading her bike. :p
LOL, I actually remember the first day we rode the bikes in class and I looked back at her. She was so nervous she was almost in tears and we hadn't even started up the bikes yet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My wife started on a Ninja too. Which one?

Her's was a ZX6.

the day she got it she had to watch me sliding down the road. Crappy timing on my part.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had to take a basic course several years ago when I was in the Air Force. It was mandatory if you wanted a sticker for your bike to ride it on base. Lots of good info - not just regarding the physical aspects of riding, but the mental game that must be played to be aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My class starts the beginning of July and I'm really looking forward to it since I have not ridden for several years. I pick up my new silver 109 later this afternoon. After reading several posts regarding people say this bike is not for beginners, I'm a bit intimidated. I have riding experence and plan on exercising caution when riding. Just plan on short rides around the neighborhood and to work for the first several weeks. I'm counting on the MSF course giving me a whole slew of new insights. Especially if several of you guys with many more years of riding under your belt have so many good things to say!

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
535 Posts
I took the course as well. Honestly, I can't say enough about it. The instructors were awesome and alot of ground was covered. I was a nervous wreck picking the bike up from the dealer. I have a feeling that if I did not take the course, I would have lost it on the way home. Be careful, as the first few days were shaky for me. After a good week or two you should be feeling much more comfortable. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
817 Posts
TheXRavenX said:
I haven't taken the Experienced course quite yet. My plan is to do that next summer.

I was just curious on what courses other people have taken and what they thought.
I teach both the MSF Basic and Experienced courses. A lot of times, we give the Experienced course to a whole group that signs up together. If you plan to do it, try to get some buddies or whatever group you belong to to take it together. It's more fun that way.

To those planning to take the Basic course, I recommend exactly the opposite. ;) Don't take it with your wife, girlfriend, or other friends present if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bowdman said:
Just plan on short rides around the neighborhood and to work for the first several weeks.
Mike, I would HIGHLY not recommend that course of action. i thought the same thing. I had rode Mt. bikes and dirt bikes since I was 10. I got on my first motorcycle and crashed twice. Both times riding in the neighborhood. I would SERIOUSLY take the course first then take the big dawg out.

If you are dead set on taking it out first be sure to head straight to an empty parking lot and PRACTICE!!!! I understand this isn't your first bike but riding takes skills and you can loose that skill over time.

Just some advice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I took the course after I had my license and it really is great even thought I was already riding my bike for a month or so but I feel so much better riding since they teach you most of all panic stops and control and for a bike of this size and power you need that very much as its truly a beast and it has to be respected and ridden that way.

The best thing I learned I would say is emergency safe Stopping and what to do in panic stops and again with 700 lbs you need to know this much more than anything else.

I too used to ride motocross and I can tell you I ride 500% better than I used to and do it with great ease!

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts