M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
She did not seem to stall out. It sounds like you have an exhaust leak to me. If you are not a smoker find a friend that is and see if the pipes are leaking. Put the lite cigarette but the connections and the headers and snap the throttle. You will see the smoke move if there are leaks. The other sounds I heard were just the 9 running.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She did not seem to stall out. It sounds like you have an exhaust leak to me. If you are not a smoker find a friend that it and see if the pipes are leaking. Put the lite cigarette but the connections and the headers and snap the throttle. You will see the smoke move if there are leaks. The other sounds I heard were just the 9 running.
She stalls when im drivin her.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Hink it was running for under a minute when he did it. I would think it would have warmed up but not been that hot, YET. :yikes:
That close to the head? That much throttle twisting? I don't know.. He had some serious issues with his clutch. I really hope the pieces did not make it into the jugs.. It could have bent a valve, hopefully it is just sticking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about the full list of mods that you have done? Has this started to happen just after any certain mods? Is this the first time that you have started her up from her winter sleep. The more details you can give the better.
I drove her for about a month now.The clutches were broke and dry off and i replaced them with cycle house clutch and springs.I have vance and hine pipes and power comander .It was put on the bike when bought the motorcycle rode excellent.Till the clutches got stuck together and broke.I drop the oil pan and took all the broken clutch pieces out now im getting this problem.she has 2400 miles on it.The warranty expired february now im stuck guessing.:dontknow:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should not have been able to hold that header without burning your hand... Was the pipe hot? That sounds internal to me. Maybe a valve, or rod.
It was warm i just started it.Believe me i would not touch when it gets hot.The noise is comin through the exhaust. it sounds like a tapping u can not here to good on the video.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Again, I'm thinking valve tap... Or bent valve. I can hear it on the video. You were back-firing before you found the clutch thing. If it was from early detonation, it could have bent a valve, or it could have been a piece of that clutch in the valve guide.:dontknow:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, I'm thinking valve tap... Or bent valve. I can hear it on the video. You were back-firing before you found the clutch thing. If it was from early detonation, it could have bent a valve, or it could have been a piece of that clutch in the valve guide.:dontknow:
It start making that noise after it back fired that once.Man you makin me wanna crap myself.:pray: i pray thats not the case.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ok I just have to ask. How would a piece of clutch get above the piston to bend a valve?
If you saw his clutch, you would understand! Trust me when I say this... When my tranny blew, they found a piece of the tranny, sitting on top of my piston, the size of a dime! That is why they had to replace a lot more than just the tranny.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The resident expert (Matt) has spoken!!!

futurR said:
Yes, sounds a bit like a valve, from the audio---but we know we are really not hearing it. It is very slightly possible to be a cam chain tensioner---sounds odd, but I had a c50 with knocking and it was the tensioner. This is one of the situations where it is hard to tell without being there to hear it in person. Worse case scenario--wrist pin in the piston with too much play.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
She stalls when im drivin her.
Back when we could not get high test gas I had to use regular for about a month, it clogged up the fuel strainer and I used a gas cleaner treatment for a few tanks of gas and it helped. Mine would stall about 10 times going to work. If I was going fast and had to stop it would stall everytime unless I rev'ed it. It was worse when I was low on gas. I know I am going to have to change the fuel strainer like Jazzman (great write up). Compare your stalls to mine to see if they are comparable.

Good luck

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98113&highlight=Fuel+Strainer

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Bike sounds fine to me... You are listening on the Clutch side, which is noisy and rattly as all hell... I could make a video of my bike and it would sound hte same.

With regards to the stalling... Check your fuel filter.

My money is on it being all gummed up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts