M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a used motorcycle jack from a friend of mine. It's made by Fulton and seems to be in good condition. My question is this: when I jack the bike, the best balance I can find puts the jack directly under the front oil pan drain plug. Is this a no-no or is it ok? The bike seems to be real steady with the jack in this position. The arms of the jack measure 13 inches from outside to outside. BTW I finally removed the reflectors. It does look better without them. Not sure why it took me so long to do that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think his question is why is this as it prohibits doing an oil change without draining it all over the jack......:eek:

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks about like where I jack mine up. As long as the jack, is lifting on the frame and not the oil pan, you're good to go.
Yeah I need to get some type of rubber spacers I guess because the oil pan is slightly below the frame and on the left side it doesn't touch the frame just by a little bit.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I put mine on ny motorcycle lift table and it brings it 4 feet off the ground, piece of cake and no bending over:bigthumbsup: plus I have the lift jacks so I can even get both wheels off the table while at that hieght.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I think his question is why is this as it prohibits doing an oil change without draining it all over the jack......:eek:
Maybe....:dontknow:. I interpreted it as "is this a safe/good place to jack the bike up".

Why would you need/want to jack the bike up for an oil change?

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah draining the oil is pretty much out of the question. It does give you better access the oil filter though. And could come in handy when cleaning the wheels or removing them.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe....:dontknow:. I interpreted it as "is this a safe/good place to jack the bike up".

Why would you need/want to jack the bike up for an oil change?
You had it right the first time Bobby. I was wondering if it would do any damage jacking it here. It does contact the oil pan on the left side and has about an 1/8 inch gap to the frame.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
You had it right the first time Bobby. I was wondering if it would do any damage jacking it here. It does contact the oil pan on the left side and has about an 1/8 inch gap to the frame.
From your picture, it looks like you could move the jack over to the left (shifter) side at least an inch, that would close up the 1/8 inch gap to the frame.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know it wasn't your intent, but that is a cool shot of your bike. It looks good even when its jacked up!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I put mine on ny motorcycle lift table and it brings it 4 feet off the ground, piece of cake and no bending over:bigthumbsup: plus I have the lift jacks so I can even get both wheels off the table while at that hieght.
:2cool: when I get back from Japan.......I am buying a bike lift too. I am tired of sitting on the ground working on the bike. Even with the jack, it just doesn't get high enough. Maybe I am just getting old......nah it is the jacks issue.......LOL

·
Registered
917 Posts
When I raise mine I just make sure the front and rear lift evenly if one of he two lift uneven I just readjust it. Depending on how much fuel is in the tank it always changes slightly. Sure makes it easy to clean or to work on other than an oil change, it needs to be on the ground to get to the plugs and do the rock back and forth thing to get as much of the old oil out as possible.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Yeah I need to get some type of rubber spacers I guess because the oil pan is slightly below the frame and on the left side it doesn't touch the frame just by a little bit.
I have old header beams as scrap and they are about 2 inches think. I put both wheels and the kick stand on them and slide under a low profile kitty litter pan. I have 3 sections of them so there is the gap under the oil pan. I can have both draining as well as replace the oil filter with out any spillage.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
I don't see any boards under the front or rear wheel, so you must not be lowered. Or not lowered very much. :D

I have to run the back tire up on a piece of 2x10 to get the jack under it. As far as balance, mine is usually a little more forward than yours, but as long as it sits it will work.

Don't forget while you're working on it to use the safety supports, and lower the bike onto the supports instead of leaving it on the pump. Just drop it until the bike is sitting firmly on the safety supports, which also makes it a lot more stable. And you should have a bolt on each side near the wheels that you crank down to stabilize the jack and keep it from rocking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts