M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the new issue of Cruiser which tested the big twins. M109, VTX1800F, Yam Roadliner, and Kaw Vulcan. I was surprised to see how harsh they were of the 109? Statements like "truck shifter" and excessive shaft drive hop leave me wondering :dontknow: , is this the bike I want? My eyes say YES, my brain says read more posts..perhaps waiting till Suzuki smooths the kinks out is not a bad idea. Took a long long time to convince wife I need a ride again and must do this right. I have never owned a Suzuki, but Honda and Yamaha have never treated me wrong. I don't remember my friends GSXR1100 shifting poorly. I do must admit though that a shaft drive bike will be a whole new experience to me. Were these guys biased towards a certain brand? There seems to be some real valuable input on this site and some answers or insight would be greatly appreciated..I am just a hard working dude that needs to make sure he is parting with his money on the right horse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BTL said:
Just the new issue of Cruiser which tested the big twins. M109, VTX1800F, Yam Roadliner, and Kaw Vulcan. I was surprised to see how harsh they were of the 109? Statements like "truck shifter" and excessive shaft drive hop leave me wondering :dontknow: , is this the bike I want? My eyes say YES, my brain says read more posts..perhaps waiting till Suzuki smooths the kinks out is not a bad idea. Took a long long time to convince wife I need a ride again and must do this right. I have never owned a Suzuki, but Honda and Yamaha have never treated me wrong. I don't remember my friends GSXR1100 shifting poorly. I do must admit though that a shaft drive bike will be a whole new experience to me. Were these guys biased towards a certain brand? There seems to be some real valuable input on this site and some answers or insight would be greatly appreciated..I am just a hard working dude that needs to make sure he is parting with his money on the right horse.
Can't really help yet man. I'm in the same boat as you; hard working 'wage slave' with a missus who must be obeyed/appeased. Haven't ridden one yet so that's why I'm here, to learn all that I can. Will let you know as soon as I get my test ride done.

SUZUKI make bulletproof racing / hi performance gear and have a long history of big bore shaftdrive bikes so they should have pretty well sorted this bike out before release. Still, it's always a good plan to hold off and get the second year model of any new automotive product.

If it helps at all they are selling well down here in OZ.

OZcruizer

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hey guys, i am a fellow wage slaver myself, and it took some "cojones" to part with the dough for a bike that cost more than my dad's NEW Ford Focus. But I tell you what, I love this bike, she is awesome and though she has her little nuances, I tribute it all to a motor that has the BIGGEST pistons in ANY internal combustion engine. This bike makes ridiculous, and I do mean ridiculous amounts of torque. So much so that Suzuki neutered it from the get-go (the retarded timing) so as to prevent wheel-spin/wheelie.

I have now about 1200 miles on her in a month and she is coming into her own. I seriously considered getting a Kawasaki Councours (essentially a Ninja 1000 with a fairing/bags) but I knew in my heart of hearts that if i ever saw a m109r, i would end up regretting not buying one.

Do yourselves a favor. Just BUY it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I read that artical and could only agree on one thing, that it has a clunky trans.....but that is only 1st and 2nd.......but after 600 miles its already smoothing
out.......I really think they didnt ride it.....what did they say? didnt handle that well....come on :dontknow:

·
Registered
721 Posts
30+ years of riding....

This is THE BEST ride I have ever had !!   :bigthumbsup:  :doorag:

I just passed 5000 miles on her and still love it more every time mount her  :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Best bang for the buck & it looks good, fast, powerful, handles well, long legs (5.2 gal fuel tank). :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew this post would get answered fast and do read them all. I am old enuff to know better and do take most articles with some grain of salt as I believe we all have our own biased opinions on most things. Experience for me is everything!, and take those guy with lots of miles on their bikes quite seriously. Really makes sense having heavy shift from 1-2 with huge torque monster underneath U. Word of mouth is powerfull tool and I enjoy the threads on this site....like minded down to earth folks..refreshing :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've only put about 8 miles on mine. Got it last night but I have been following this sight for awhile. Apparently the clunkiness smooths out with miles so it sounds like the major concern corrects itself..All else equal, if I could, I'd buy 2. I'd like to have color options.

G

·
BTL, have you test ridden one yet? If not... well I mean, ...ummm test ride one. If the dealership won't let you, thats not the place to buy one.

Transmission is clunky (search for my what I don't like about my 109 post..) and there are negatives but as you know, its like that with all bikes. My vstrom 650 was a perfect balance for what i wanted in a dual sport but I still ended up adding/changing about everything.

its a good bike my man... test ride it after you test ride the vtx1800 (great bike but kinda boring...had one), stratoliner (great bike but more $$$ and less go) and the vulcan 2000 (fat woman with wheels) and you'll buy the 109.

·
Registered
343 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
BTL, have you test ridden one yet? If not... well I mean, ...ummm test ride one. If the dealership won't let you, thats not the place to buy one.

Transmission is clunky (search for my what I don't like about my 109 post..) and there are negatives but as you know, its like that with all bikes. My vstrom 650 was a perfect balance for what i wanted in a dual sport but I still ended up adding/changing about everything.

its a good bike my man... test ride it after you test ride the vtx1800 (great bike but kinda boring...had one), stratoliner (great bike but more $$$ and less go) and the vulcan 2000 (fat woman with wheels) and you'll buy the 109.
+1

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dynamos..thanks for the input..had yet to approach dealership bout test ride but have feeling they will say no..they tend to lean towards rider demo days that they hold once per season. I am hoping, as there are a couple in my nieghbourhood,that I can concinve them to let me take it out for a spin without them going :eek:..

·
Registered
244 Posts
They evidently didn't ride one. I had a 2006 Black that I put 7000 miles on and now have a 2007 with 2100 miles. So I have ridden over 9000 miles since this past March. I sold my '06 black because I wanted the red. Never had any problems with the black and none with the red so far. I've been riding bikes since 1961 and I would have to say this is the 2nd best bike I've ever owned. My favorite was a 1977 Honda 750 SS F2, wow what a bike!! I put 118,000 miles on the '77. The M109R is probably going to surpass the '77 if I ride it long enough. BUY IT AND EXPERENCE THE ULTIMATE IN TORQUE AND HANDLING!! :cop: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

G

·
BTL said:
Hey Dynamos..thanks for the input..had yet to approach dealership bout test ride but have feeling they will say no..they tend to lean towards rider demo days that they hold once per season. I am hoping, as there are a couple in my nieghbourhood,that I can concinve them to let me take it out for a spin without them going :eek:..
i hear ya.. just walk in and tell them with all the confidence in the world that you are very interested in purchasing a new m109 and see what happens. I have yet to run into a dealership in Nashville, Murfreesboro or Clarksville (9+ dealerships including HD) that wouldn't let me test ride what I wanted. Just remember, the bars will move a bit and the pegs are easy to replace so don't let that turn you off on the ride.

If you were around here, I'd let ya ride mine.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks Dynamos, and also to dbritton for the great help..very incouraging to hear such very positive feedback. The biggest bike I owned was a Honda 1000 inceptor which I found to have a very linear and seemingly endless torque curve. I am just glad the M109 is labled so. My wife has no idea it is a 1.8litre motor..its bigger than most econo cars! I see light at the end of the tunnel....and it's a M109 headlight :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
dont fret it. i have seat time on three of the  cruisers tested and the 109 is the only one i wanted, so i bought it. this bike is by far the best bike i have driven. i have over 4000 miles without a single hicup. with a few minor adjustments and a jsd-3m($40.00) this bike is killer and surprisingly smooth. to me it is very comftorable. i have done afew comfort mods, seat, rolled handlebars up, grips, and pegs. this bike just keeps getting better and better. i have read that article and them guys are smoking crack. if you get a cruiser, the 109 is a must. cant beat the bang for buck.  :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks BAD..I am convinced these guys have tested so many bikes they feel obligated to trash the bikes they test..and why not pick on the new guy..really didn't sway me away but did beg to at least ask the question..thanks again. :super:

·
Registered
898 Posts
That artical was BS :realmad: I read it in the store and did'nt buy the mag because it was so rediculous in my opinion....

The longer I ride mine the smoother it gets... I have no complaints... Its not a BMW or Gold Wing... but I was'nt expecting to impress blue hairs so I bought the 109 :bigthumbsup: but my next bike will probably be a wing :D for long distance ...

khrome

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
musicdjc2 said:
I've only put about 8 miles on mine. Got it last night but I have been following this sight for awhile. Apparently the clunkiness smooths out with miles so it sounds like the major concern corrects itself..All else equal, if I could, I'd buy 2. I'd like to have color options.
I can't believe you only have 8 miles on the bike. How did you do that, come on, take the day off from work and right that beast man !!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I spoke to the head of the dealership I puchased mine from when I brought it in to get the overfilled oil drained a bit..
. I built a couple of his dealerships and know him, and this was a week after I purchased, so he wasn't trying to sell me....He has 17 bikes of ALL makes, has been riding for thirty some years and says there is not a bike in his collection that makes him feel as good as he does on his 109..
Do youself a favor and find a dealer who will let you ride. You'll be a believer. I had no permit or endorsement and they let me ride!!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
8 miles? i live 3 miles from my dealership. took over an hour to get her home. i remember seeing the state line somewhere in the blur. had mine a whole whopping 3 weeks and already had first service and made 3 mods.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts