M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Unfortunately I've only installed the poly ones just a couple months back during the winter...and it' still winter here...so I haven't had an opportunity to ride the bike.
From reading other threads though, it seemed like only positive feedback from either using the poly or harder rear mounts in the front.
Okay to bad. I´m about to change mine and I had a pair of the harder OEM ones so I guess I´ll go for those for this time anyway...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Okay to bad. I´m about to change mine and I had a pair of the harder OEM ones so I guess I´ll go for those for this time anyway...
I purchased the polyurethane motor mounts from Scorp back in 2014. I replaced the fronts at 28K miles and had a little on the 17 mile ride home. Now, five years later and no vibrations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed my new front motor mounts today. Went surprisingly smooth. This is a pretty easy job for those thinking about it. I was really surprised how worn these mounts were with about 8500 miles on them. These pics don’t even do justice to how worn these looked. Here’s pics of one side worn, the other side pretty good. I should have taken a pic next to the new ones. Night and day.
I know I need to replace my front mounts. But I've never done any work on a motorcycle before but I'm not afraid to turn wrenches. Do you know if there is a video or a step-by-step to help me out. I need to get back on the road and do some riding!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I just had my bike up on a jack, and the jack still lifts the bike up by the frame, not the bottom of the motor. Also the gap at the back of the two large engine covers on the left side is still parallel. 38,300+ miles and 15 years old.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,042 Posts
I know I need to replace my front mounts. But I've never done any work on a motorcycle before but I'm not afraid to turn wrenches. Do you know if there is a video or a step-by-step to help me out. I need to get back on the road and do some riding!
thevili posted a link to a good Youtube video on doing this. You can find some others on there too. And we also have a How-To on it on the How-To board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been pointing out for years that the front mounts are worn at 6000miles, by 8000miles you should think about replacing them---- and this is for all years!. If you do then early enough, you can stave off doing the lower rears possibly for another 30k miles or more. If you let the fronts go too long, then the lower rears should be done. The upper rears are by far the easiest to do and are the harder compound already---- and usually last the longest.

You should replace the mounts you are doing with the harder compound mounts from the upper rears at the minimum.

There are a couple of options on aftermarket mounts.

Scorp makes a set---- or at least he used to.

or you can go here: http://www.secure.billydump.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=31

and he sells urethane sets that I helped prototype.
Would you have any other links to the harder mounts to use in the front? The link above is no longer working. TIA

21 - 28 of 28 Posts