M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Anybody done a how to on replacing motor mounts?
Why you replacing them? Do you have better ones? Should be a no brainer, if they are anywhere close to what mine look like. Bring em over to John's Garage, and we'll do it. I have plenty on tools and jacks.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
I thought we had a how-to on here, but unless it's called something else I can't find it.

Here's a recent thread where Fletch 09R changed his, he may be able to help. And I know futurR has done a few of them.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138231

I don't believe you need to pull the engine, but you have to unbolt the right side front frame down tube. Of course the engine has to be supported while doing this.

And there are soft and hard mounts in the engine, replace all of them with the harder mounts. They are all the same other than the durometer of the rubber is different.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Why you replacing them? Do you have better ones? Should be a no brainer, if they are anywhere close to what mine look like. Bring em over to John's Garage, and we'll do it. I have plenty on tools and jacks.
Because they sag/get weak. It was a topic I think back in 2007. Remember a certain person was going to make them out of better material and it never happened.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Anybody done a how to on replacing motor mounts?
I just did mine today. Took about 2 hours. I did not do a how to on it because it's pretty straightforward. Couple of PIA things just because of where some bolts/nuts are but it's not hard at all. If there is nothing else posted I can certainly write something up on it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one in front is obviously flat on top and engine is sagging at least a quarter inch. So that means one of the sets in the back are wore too. Going to replace all of them next weekend and thought someone might gives some tips as far as which ones to replace first, things I might run into and then think "dang, I shoulda done that the other way" you know. I was thinking to do the rear two first. (leaving the front attached and jacking till you can pull the rear two). then doing the front. :dontknow:

I get my daughter every other weekend so the opportunity to work on my bike comes on the other weekends.

Thanks for the offer John. I'm pretty sure I can handle tho it, and my bike is already laying all over the garage floor:eek:.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for all the offers to help. but really, the tank, airbox , intakes, cluth basket, exhaust, most of the body panels not to mention all the wires for the leds, are off and laying around it. I have all the tools I need and jacks and stuff. just was looking for tips while I'm waiting for parts. you guys are awesome man!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If you replace the ones on the front Jeremy order the ones for the back and install them on the front. They are a harder compound! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you replace the ones on the front Jeremy order the ones for the back and install them on the front. They are a harder compound! :bigthumbsup:
That's what I did with mine. Had them all replaced with the harder one. Did that quite some time ago, seems to be fine. Haven't checked to see if they've worn less yet or not though.
BTW - I didn't do the work, so don't ask me about how to do it. I had it done as part of my 2nd gear shift fork work.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Motor mounts are in! wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. clutch put back in too. I'll have her back together before long. I keep finding little things along the way that need attention.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts