M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this and figured "good point". What do you think :dontknow: :dontknow:
Checking the pictures of bikes and owners, both men and women, I was struck by the fact that many more women name their bikes than men. Why is that, I wonder?

Understand, I'm elated that many, many more women - at least as reflected in this site's stats - are riding bikes and BIG bikes. Something about that really makes me glad.

And, please believe me, I'm not a "troller" and I'm not trying to start anything, but I was wondering why so many women name their bikes and so few men do. (...not that there's anything wrong with that...).

·
Registered
775 Posts
not sure why; but, i've noticed women tend to name their cars too. think it might be a point of giving things a personality. we men tend to think of bikes, etc. as machines to be mastered ( slaves to our commands, so to speak) women seem to think of their machines as personal objects ( almost like a friend) is probably why women take better care of their stuff than we do.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hmmmm! I must be getting in touch with my feminine side?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just can't bring myself to name an inanimate object. My wife hasn't named her bike either. :dontknow:

G

·
:dontknow: it never occurred to me that I should name my bike, if I thought of the bike as a friend I wouldn't do 1/2 of the things I do on it now and I really don't think it would have ever left the garage. However, I do call it a her and when the back tire slides out from under me I call her a B****.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've had other machines that I didn't like. They had names too,but I can't say them on here! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
think i'm gonna name my bike "christy" after my ex-wife. big, mean, loud, caught one of my friends ridin' her . yep, my bike's name is now "christy"

·
Registered
45 Posts
My limited experience indicates women get more emotionally attached to things then men in general (it's a left brain right brain thing) and naming goes with that.  Again in general, men focus on respect and the names men often use for there stuff (the "9" or the "x" or the "vtx") identifies with its mechanical properties (or lack there of -- like in "the scooter").  We respect these inanimate properties and what they mean to us -  aids me when "I wanna go fast".

I almost named my first bike, (Big dog), but it didn't stick.  I also briefly contemplated my attachment to it prior to selling it, so I could buy the 9.  But until you asked the question I didn't give it a second thought cause I was too busy going fast with the 9 to really care.

Bottom line is we are basically selfish SOBs and don't care enough generally about other things to name them. 

You asked -- this is my best guess.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Men name ships,boats and most other sea craft.But usually I've found men will name a truck or car they've had for very long periods of time. The only vechile I ever named was a Chey Step side I held on to for 13 years.Still sorry I let it go,the guy that bought totalled it a week later... :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
walker said:
think i'm gonna name my bike "christy" after my ex-wife. big, mean, loud, caught one of my friends ridin' her .  yep, my bike's name is now "christy"
Good one :bigthumbsup: :a20:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts