M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey Guys,
I love the stock pipes on my 109. I would like to make this rocket faster but I don't want to change the pipes.

Can you tell me what you guys would recommend? I love this board. Its great for a new guy like me.

Thanks,
Tire Man

G

·
First get a JSD. She'll run like a raped date but do a search on this site for information regarding detonation and decide for yourself. For more power with stock pipes you need to buy an air-kit. There are several to choose from. Directlineparts.com, this boards sponsor, sells a nice variety. Or you can do a search on this site and get some ideas to make your own. The more air the better for this bike. Also, get a Power Commander III, don't waste your money on any fuel processors other than the Power Commander III. The rest will give you a little boost but little else. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The JSD is an excellent and cheap addition to your bike, and takes even the mechanically challenged < 10 minutes to install. On the down side it DOES NOT add power per se to the engine.. It simply changes the way the ECU runs so you have ACCESS to the power the engine can already create in 1-3 gear and opens up the rev limiter in 5th gear. There have been reports of detonation, but they may or may not be an issue, depending on how good the gas is in your area, and whether or not you switch to cooler plugs like 9's or 10's.

PCIII is really the only good choice for fuel management, but I don't really think you'll see any benefit from it unless you open up this bikes lungs and let it breathe, its pretty starved for air stock. BigAir from DirectLine Parts or one of their other intakes are good, or if you are mechanically inclined there are quite a few "do-it-yourself" write ups in the Tech section for making your own intake on the cheap. They will be functional, but they won't look as good as what Hal and Lamont have come up with (the BigAir) IMO. Having said all that, if you do go thru with an intake mod, add the PCIII and have the bike tuned on a dyno just as soon as you possibly can, make sure they can put a detonation sensor on the bike to check, no need in going half-way 8)

If you don't want to go with a custom 2-into-1 or an aftermarket exhaust thats about all thats "easily" obtained for increasing power at present... Unless you want to do what Hal did with his and have the engine completely ported and polished, revamp the compression and such.. but we're still waiting to see how that turns out on the Dyno with his new exhaust so just keep watching for that one with the rest of us.

Welcome to the addiction! I finally get to ride mine again tomorrow.. long arse road trips suck, lost a whole month of good riding weather!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You asked if I sell Tires, Yea, I own American Tire Dist. in Los Vegas, I sell all brands of Tire and Wheels

Tire Man

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Guess you will be our new "Burnout King". I imagine you likely have access to more tires at no cost than anyone else here.
I expect to see some nice footage of this Tire Man...
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Also, try drilling out the center baffle plates of both exhaust, I did the first 2 in each and now it sounds great...
I am sure it frees up a little air to flow out too, but not like a fully modded exhaust. It will be a welcome addition to the PCIII, JSD-3M, and an air kit.

It will not look any different, even from the end of the pipe

Sled

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hello Tire Man :D and welcome to the site! The guy's have given you some great info to get you going,One thing they didn't tell you was the reason for going with the power Commander is that most of our bike seem to run rich around 4200 Rpm's and that's the reason to go with the PClll cause it's the only one that you can take fuel away with :bigthumbsup: the cobra etc... can NOT :doorag: Later Silentrider

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds a little tough to dial this in.Can a red neck Canadian work with this system or is there another option?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The 109 isn't any different than most other bikes, More Power= change pipes, gearing, reduce
some weight, PC with dyno tuning. Of course you could do more to the engine but if you want
that much more power why not just buy a Busa or ZX14 at the start and spend the saved money
to make them more powerful.

·
Registered
158 Posts
man00 said:
The 109 isn't any different than most other bikes, More Power= change pipes, gearing, reduce
some weight, PC with dyno tuning. Of course you could do more to the engine but if you want
that much more power why not just buy a Busa or ZX14 at the start and spend the saved money
to make them more powerful.
man00, not much of a wrench here but I'm picking up quickly, I've taken care of the pipes, reduced the weight added the PC put in the JSM, removed the secondary throttle, have the air in the works but the gearing...... Can you elaborate on this one for me?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Folks with the older Honda V65 magna have made a switch to 3:40 gearing from stock 3:18
they say its quite a difference. I don't know which donor bike needed to suit the M109

1 - 16 of 16 Posts