M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some procrastination on my part I started with some selected mods Sunday. First off was the removal of that unsightly license plate bracket which obstructs the view of my new Avon Venom R 250/40-R18. Rather than scrap the factory tail lights, I relocated them to the site of the original reflectors with some home brewed brackets. They really look great and the new location accents the side fender rails. Next was my "one off" aluminum license plate bracket. After reviewing what was available , after market, and seeing some of the mounts that have been fabed and posted on this site I didn't like the current methods employed in mounting the brackets. I used  both the "shock mounting hole" and axle head to ensure the bracket can't rotate from vibration. I'll be posting some pics of the bracket with hardware in the near future. Hold onto your hats......everything has been captured on the camera just have to download them :) :) :)

G

·
Re: Mods Started

When is the near future? 'cause =>Â :nopic:

Look forward to checking the way the oem lights look on the rails...

G

·
Re: Mods Started Update

Very nice. Very clean. The plate bracket looks very sturdy and secure. I'd like to see more pics as well. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

Like the Avons :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/20060730/0/c/e/0cef8ce67a1723b48049d398b7dad1990_large.jpg

This is a closeup of the side mount showing how it is bent to follow the contour of the rear hub! When viewed from the rear of the bike the plate is tucked deep into the wheel!

G

·

Very nice work. Have you got a tag light yet? I thnk I see wiring coming out of the back but can't tell. That is some sturdy stainless. How did you bend that?

·
Registered
363 Posts

toneout said:
Very nice work. Have you got a tag light yet? I thnk I see wiring coming out of the back but can't tell. That is some sturdy stainless. How did you bend that?
I believe Bob fabricated that sweet little item out of pure allouminnium..or was it unobtainium? ;)

Does look like stainless...could you imagine the weight if it was? I think he has a few other pics coming soon.

LG

G

·

I hope its aluminum. My little POS of a tag holder is stainless and HEAVY. Thats why I figured he drilled the hole for the axle. Aluminum looks nice polished.

·
Registered
363 Posts

toneout said:
I hope its aluminum. My little POS of a tag holder is stainless and HEAVY. Thats why I figured he drilled the hole for the axle. Aluminum looks nice polished.
Props for bein modest, Toneout. After all, I've seen your bike...that less is more thing looks sweet. ;)

LG

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

toneout said:
Very nice work. Have you got a tag light yet? I thnk I see wiring coming out of the back but can't tell. That is some sturdy stainless. How did you bend that?
This mount is 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate and a short piece of 1 X 1 inch by 1/8 thick aluminum extruded angle. I had to heat the T-6 plate to remove the temper and then I bent the mount in my bench vise using "soft jaws" so I didn't mark/score up the plate during the bending process. I did a quick polish job with Mothers Aluminum Polish. There will be additional shaping and mods to the bracket to give it some more character. This mount is "rock solid" and can't turn because of the two mounting points. The indirect lighting is the next step, maybe this week. I already purchased two small windshield washer spray heads which have bright white LED's built in. Still undecided as to use one or both lights. I'll design and fab the bracket to accept both lights and try both ways.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

LionsGate said:
I believe Bob fabricated that sweet little item out of pure allouminnium..or was it unobtainium? ;)

Does look like stainless...could you imagine the weight if it was? I think he has a few other pics coming soon.

LG
LionsGate:

I'm having problems trying to post from my Frappr sight as I have dial-up. There are some additional photos of my bike sitting in my front yard! If you could once again throw a few of those on this post, which highlight the side mount, I'd appreciate it! Hell, for that matter throw all the bike related pictures on and I'll caption the mods!!!

G

·

bob109 said:
LionsGate:

I'm having problems trying to post from my Frappr sight as I have dial-up. There are some additional photos of my bike sitting in my front yard! If you could once again throw a few of those on this post, which highlight the side mount, I'd appreciate it! Hell, for that matter throw all the bike related pictures on and I'll caption the mods!!!
email the pics to [email protected] and I will post for you...

·
Registered
363 Posts

bob109 said:
LionsGate:

Got it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

LionsGate said:
Got it.
Relocated stock turn signals mounted on home brewed brackets, "one off" side mount fabricated from aluminum plate and a Avon Venom R 250/40-R18.
Plastic Chrome fenderwell molding applied to the tank seam, side mount and turn signal relocation mods!

Above and below...."One Off"Â Polished Aluminum Side Mount with dual mounting points/holes. This design assures no movement of the mount from vibration and only uses the axle head for a "positive stop".

Relocated left turn signal with mounting bracket.
Home brewed tail light relocation bracket using the OME reflector bracket bolt and mounting hole.

G

·

Great Job bob109... :bigthumbsup:

How much for one of those plate brakets??? and the turn signal brackets??? ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts