M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about some input, if you made some mods what are the good ones versus the bad ones.
I see a lot of post of Barnett clutch cables breaking, why did you change to begin with? and do the stock cables break? I haven't seen any post about the stock cables breaking.
How about some of the electrical items, I have seen some post where they leave you on the side of the road, what is good and what is not so good?
Any issues with debeavering?
How does the bike handle with the 300 kit on?
Anything else you can think of!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
For me, the good mods were the GiPro, the 160/60 fat front tire, and the full cut gel seat. Others I like are more personal preference like the Rifle solo windshield with rifle lowers, and raw design forward controls.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
For me, the good mods were the GiPro, the 160/60 fat front tire, and the full cut gel seat. Others I like are more personal preference like the Rifle solo windshield with rifle lowers, and raw design forward controls.

-Josh
Hey Josh, Can you pls. post a pic of your rifle solo and lowers....Thanks!~

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How about some input, if you made some mods what are the good ones versus the bad ones.
I see a lot of post of Barnett clutch cables breaking, why did you change to begin with? and do the stock cables break? I haven't seen any post about the stock cables breaking.
How about some of the electrical items, I have seen some post where they leave you on the side of the road, what is good and what is not so good?
Any issues with debeavering?
How does the bike handle with the 300 kit on?
Anything else you can think of!
Yes some stock cables will eventually break. Some guys have broken at 7000 miles on the bike others have over 20,000 miles with the orginal cable :dontknow: You might want to purchase a spare one just to have on hand in case yours goes. Make sure your cable isn't overly tight. Seems like the stock replacement cables are just as good if not better than the Barnett one, but you'll get differing opinons on that (like on just about everything).

Debeavering: Yes do it. It's uglier than sin.

300 kit: Handles just fine if you know how to ride.

Stay away from the Clear Alternatives and the current D2moto intregrated rear taillights (D2moto is currently working on a supposedly better GenIII light....but we'll see)

Warning: Once you start Modding you may not be able to stop.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I've been through three Clear Alternatives lights, now have the stock one back on, awaiting the Gen III from D2Moto.

Debeavering looks cool, but you may get hit in the back with the tire rooster-tail when riding in the rain. I generally avoid rain unless there is no way to do so.

I've got 15,000 on the stock clutch cable. But I keep it real loose, so that under acceleration there is still a bit of freeplay. Also once a year I dis-connect both ends, inspect them for any wear or strands breaking, and put some lube down from the top. Since I started riding in 1976, I have never had to replace a clutch cable on any brand or model of motorcycle, NEVER. Preventative maintenance is the key to all things lasting a long time. Another thing on the clutch, with the cable dis-connected, remove the lever, clean and lubricate it, and re-install. Adjust the clutch lever bolt so that the lever swings freely with no up or down slop. On both my 109 and a friends the lever was adjusted too tight, and this was a small contributor to bad shifts.

I'm just going to keep the stock rims, polish them this winter, and keep Dunlop EIII 250 rear, 130 front, for as long as I own the bike. They are the most bang-for-the-buck in the tire dept. Metzelers are nice, but I am not going to spend the money for a tire that will not last as long as the Dunnie 250 will.

Look at my signature at the bottom for mods I have done. None of them have been detrimental. IMHO.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
I went to the Barnett cables because I added 2" extended risers. I could have kept the standard cables but didn't like the way they were routed and the Barnett just look better. I've been extremely lucky compared to others though, mine have been on for 18,000 miles and still look good on the ends. I do pull the clutch cable off and clean/lube the ends a couple times a year, and I leave plenty of slack in it.

I can't think of a bad mod I've done. I give it plenty of thought before making the change and usually like it. I have had a couple windshields I wasn't happy with and one pair of rear LED's that were downright dangerous.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
What do the rifle lowers do for you?
\

Well, with the Rifle Solo shield blocking all the wind at my face and chest, the wind creeps up my legs, rolls up my chest and onto my face. Doesn't sound too bad, until a gust of wind tries to pull my glasses off my face. The Rifle Lowers deflect the wind off my legs, thus keeping my glasses on my face.

-Josh

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
\

Well, with the Rifle Solo shield blocking all the wind at my face and chest, the wind creeps up my legs, rolls up my chest and onto my face. Doesn't sound too bad, until a gust of wind tries to pull my glasses off my face. The Rifle Lowers deflect the wind off my legs, thus keeping my glasses on my face.

-Josh
I get a lot of heat off my engine and like the air blowing thru, is heat an issue?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would say mod but do it to make the bike your own. If you like it stock leave it. I think the debeaver needs to be done. I think Grips and Footpegs are a must for comfort. I did the full cut gel seat and it was probably the best Mod I did. If the bike isn't comfortable for you... mod and make it so. I thing that the JSD3M is also a great mod and at the very least K&N air filters to help the bike breathe better. I like the Suzuki touring windsheild as well. As to the clutch cable I just changed mine at nearly 30,000 miles ... there were no visible signs of wear or fraying... I did it because I thought that was long enough on a part that might malfunction. I think the whole thing with the clutch cables breaking was that some were not run properly during assembly and they eventually got pinched and snapped.

Bottom line ... it's your bike make it what you want it to be... so you can ride it in comfort. So it can inspire you to ride more not less. If all you want to do is mod and sit there and stare at it fine ... but this bike begs to be ridden don't hold it hostage in a garage... get it ready to ride then by all means go ride it... that is what it is for. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
ATRE-4 from raceday electronics, im averaging 7 miles to the gallon more on fuel. im up to 39-41 mpg....debeaver is a must and very easy to do. Debaffling was also a relatively easy and cheap mod..

Mods are Good and BAD. Good for the look and soul, BAD for the wallet, mod away and enjoy..

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes some stock cables will eventually break. Some guys have broken at 7000 miles on the bike others have over 20,000 miles with the orginal cable :dontknow: You might want to purchase a spare one just to have on hand in case yours goes. Make sure your cable isn't overly tight. Seems like the stock replacement cables are just as good if not better than the Barnett one, but you'll get differing opinons on that (like on just about everything).

Debeavering: Yes do it. It's uglier than sin.

300 kit: Handles just fine if you know how to ride.

Stay away from the Clear Alternatives and the current D2moto intregrated rear taillights (D2moto is currently working on a supposedly better GenIII light....but we'll see)

Warning: Once you start Modding you may not be able to stop.
:agree:. by the way what is the problem with the d2 moto integrated tail lights? I was about to order me a set..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts