M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drilled 6 holes in teh 1st muffler and 4 in the lower muffler today in the baffles...dont have a hole saw so they are just drilled, but through all three baffles...Made a good sound increase for the little bit of work...Do you guys suggest I drill the back plate????
When you are talking about that, you are talking about the actual rear of the pipe with the black paint right? I am new on here so please shoot me some help

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would recommend doing the same amount of holes in each pipe, but do a search in here for "stock pipes" and you will get a whole bunch of threads with answers. :bigthumbsup:

good luck to ya!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have done the same, but my drill bit the dust.....also when i looked closer it wouldnt really matter, as they are one pipe basically, since from the valve and cat it is one chamber. I figure it equalizes no matter the holes. Thanks, keep the advice rolling!!!!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Can you give us a pic? From what you are saying, you are confusing me a bit. I assumed you drilled holes in the back plate that surrounds the inner pipe, but then you ask if you should also drill that plate. What exactly did you drill? Here's a pic of what we are talking about when we drill holes in the end plate. This is where everybody is putting the 8 or so holes in each pipe.

Some of us have taken it a bit further and drilled out the inner baffle walls with a hole saw and drill extension. Here's a thread where I videod myself drilling out the inner baffle walls if this is something you are considering. http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2170.0

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
MONSTER109 said:
How much does it increase in sound and is it worth it/harmful
Is it worth it? Hell yeah... at least if you want better sound than stock. Trust me, we all wouldn't be doing it if the sound wasn't much better. Not sure if you saw my videos in the How To section, but here's one that just shows the difference from drilling 8 holes to also drilling out the inner baffle walls. Sorry, but I didn't record video before drilling the 8 holes, so you can't hear the stock version. You should be able to get an idea of how it sounds by comparing it to the sound of your stock pipes though. From what I gather, it has no ill effects, though a good fuel commander may make it perfect if the mixture changed any. This mod comes highly recommended by many here.

Here's the video. http://media.putfile.com/Stock-Pipe-Mod-Sounds

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have been wanting to do this but I came across this problem and I don't think 1/2 holes would fit. Advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
BearCom said:
I have been wanting to do this but I came across this problem and I don't think 1/2 holes would fit. Advice would be appreciated.

If 1/2 inch holes won't fit, put smaller holes on that side, but I'm pretty sure that they will fit. Your pipes should be the same as everyone elses. Just drill smaller pilot holes first to keep the bit from walking.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks JR. Do you have any advice for someone that wants more sound but not ear shattering Harley pipes. Good deep sound in low speeds but when you get on it you know. I have learned more about bikes in the past month than I have ever, first bike. Thanks again the pipes look great, what would it cost to do something like that ?

I pray you are well, I read about your medical condition some what. I'm in communcations and in between contracts so my sleep is way screwed up. Typing asleep pretty much right now

·
Registered
600 Posts
BearCom said:

The center section of pipe in that pic sure looks way off-center :confused: I'm gonna have to look at mine again in the morning. I didn't have a problem with eight 1/2" holes all the way around. Make sure not to drill into the welds :duck:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Leave it to me to get the pipe weld from Monday :confused: Hey what if I just drill out the baffles ? I remember someone saying that there really isn't any difference in sound ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts