M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I read Crusier's headline article on "road tests" of the big twins and I thought the only reviewer who attempted to levelset the tests was Elvidge, who acknowledged testing the 109 on the backroads of Mendocino was like "a fish out of water". I've been to Comphe, and believe me you do not want to take a 109 on that barely paved, potholed, unrepaired in the last 30 years, stirip of broken macadam.

Would it be fair to assess a dirt bike's abilities by how well it rolled down 101, never veering from left to right?

So, it was with interest that I read the Dec issue of Crusier where, in what passes for the editorial comment, Elvidge states her dream bike, "...would be a shiny new M109R."

And yet in a comparo of the Boulevard C50 and Vulcan 900 Classic the article makes this egregious comment, "Wield the Suzuki M109R on a cross country odyssey? Only if a personal chiropractor comes along."

Huh? I spun my brand new 109 down to San Simeon (Hearst Castle) and back to SF and I didn't have a problem with my back -- which is what the comment implies -- I guess what it comes down to is that the one to one experience of riding any bike is completely and utterly personal.

Probably in a way that a car isn't; and maybe that's why we ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
i finally got my bike back yesterday from the stealer. i asked if they could set my rear spring down two notches. what a differance. this bike used to hit my ass hard now i hardly feal anything going down the road now. absutly love this bike. recomend turning that rear shock down. if you are below 250lb
 
G

·
fourthrider said:
A month ago I read Crusier's headline article on "road tests" of the big twins and I thought the only reviewer who attempted to levelset the tests was Elvidge, who acknowledged testing the 109 on the backroads of Mendocino was like "a fish out of water".  I've been to Comphe, and believe me you do not want to take a 109 on that barely paved, potholed, unrepaired in the last 30 years, stirip of broken macadam.

Would it be fair to assess a dirt bike's abilities by how well it rolled down 101, never veering from left to right?

So, it was with interest that I read the Dec issue of Crusier where, in what passes for the editorial comment, Elvidge states her dream bike, "...would be a shiny new M109R."

And yet in a comparo of the Boulevard C50 and Vulcan 900 Classic the article makes this egregious comment, "Wield the Suzuki M109R on a cross country odyssey? Only if a personal chiropractor comes along."

Huh? I spun my brand new 109 down to San Simeon (Hearst Castle) and back to SF and I didn't have a problem with my back -- which is what the comment implies -- I guess what it comes down to is that the one to one experience of riding any bike is completely and utterly personal.Â

Probably in a way that a car isn't; and maybe that's why we ride.
And of course cycleworld claimed "all day comfort" when describing the m109. I like all the articles but I only believe it about 30% more than I do politicians
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>I like all the articles but I only believe it about 30% more than I do politicians

So that would be like three tenths of one percent? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
I put almost 500 miles on mine the first full day I owned it... no back issues at all and I was wearing a 65lbs backpack at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
I've had two lower back surgeries in the past ten years and the only time I don't feel pain is when I'm riding. Figure that one out. :dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
need a chiropracter for a 109? that tester was insane. they should ride my ZX10R for a day. sitting on a 109 is like a sofa....a fast cool sofa that i want to buy in the burgundy color.
 
G

·
whiteout said:
I've had two lower back surgeries in the past ten years and the only time I don't feel pain is when I'm riding. Figure that one out.  :dontknow:
Well, that's more than a vote of confidece my friend that is a statement for thre ages... :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
In august I rode my 109 from Missouri to Washington State, The trip was in excess of 1800 miles,and because of time constraints I had to do it in three days. I have had back problems over the years, but I must say the trip was comfortable and I was susprised how good I felt each of the three days. Yes my butt was getting stiff by the end of the day but I would have had that problem driving my Porsche for that distance in three days.
The bottom line is that the M109R is a very very comfortable bike, I can attest to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
Not to be a killjoy, but I didn't like riding over 100 miles when I first got my 109. I'm short at (5'8" and still not as short as some on here)...so the reach was a killer t omy backat first BIG JOE to the rescue...I got the 2" riser extentions and I'm one happ(ier) camper...no problems now at all! So I can see a remark like that if it comes from a rider outside the target (about 5' 10" to 6' 6") 200 to 250 lb. I think that's the ideal ergo size range. JMHO

Devilish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
I'm about the same, 5'8" and I twisted my bars up about 20*. But that was just to stop my hands from falling asleep. I've taken a couple of 200 mile rides with no problems. My brother however, who is about 5'10" and has had lower back surgery, rode my 109 for about 30 miles and said that it hurt his back. Of course it could've been all of the big air he was getting on his quad afterwards. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
5'9 here and after 100 miles or so, I'm ready for a break. This is not an "all day " cruiser by any means. There are far better tools for that out there. But it IS a really cool fast muscle cruiser that I will certainly sacrifice a little comfort in exchange for all the rest that comes along with this bike. Sorry, no one will convince me this bike stock is "all day" comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
turbohi said:
i finally got my bike back yesterday from the stealer. i asked if they could set my rear spring down two notches. what a differance. this bike used to hit my ass hard now i hardly feal anything going down the road now. absutly love this bike. recomend turning that rear shock down. if you are below 250lb
I bought the extended gel seat from Zuk...what a difference...no more numb butt. I must say though the ride is stiff with the factory setting. I think I'll get it set down. I know with my girl on the back the ride was better...much better. Wonder how the softer setting will affect the ride with her on there with me?
 
G

·
I've had the 109 from eastern Long Island to Toronto twice now this season. 550+ miles only stopping for gas and lunch. No problems at 6'3" 250lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,343 Posts
Back problems... No...

Sore @$$, absolutely! I am good for about an hour and a half then the tail bone starts talking.

I sure wish my Gel Seat would show up!! :verymad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
I did 1700 miles in 3 1/2 days a few months ago. My back is still straight.(or at least bent the same way it was before I rode my 9)
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top