M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago, after riding, i parked the bike and left it in the run position. The next day it wouldn't start, obviously. I bought a battery charger and charged the battery for about 18 hours. I went out to try and start it and my lights and everything come on but when I try to start it it goes dead. What is it that I need to do next? Did I ruin something on the bike by doing this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
What year is the bike? It has nothing to do with leaving the bike with the engine switch at the on position. I never use mine I always use the key to shut it down. I suspect its the batery. Even though you charged it and the lights and such come on there is probably not enough left to crank it over. Also make sur its in neutral the engine switch is on and kickstand up while sitting on it. The bike has a safe kickstand shutoff if you put it in gear with the stand down it will kill the bike....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What year is the bike? It has nothing to do with leaving the bike with the engine switch at the on position. I never use mine I always use the key to shut it down. I suspect its the batery. Even though you charged it and the lights and such come on there is probably not enough left to crank it over. Also make sur its in neutral the engine switch is on and kickstand up while sitting on it. The bike has a safe kickstand shutoff if you put it in gear with the stand down it will kill the bike....
:agree:x2 get a new battery:hot:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a 07 LE. I have it in neutral and each time I try to turn it over, it gets a little further in the process. I just wanted to know if I messed something up internally maybe.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Most likely the battery, however, check the grounds ant the engine first, Just follow the ground cable from the battery to where it attaches to the engine. It is very possible to get a bad connection there. This could save the cost of a new battery, but I doubt it. Costs nothing to check.

·
Registered
189 Posts
BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY.

You toasted the battery. It has deep-cycled due to the key on. It will probably never take a good charge again. The cells loose their ability to hold a charge when you cycle a battery that low that's not designed to do it. Sometimes you can charge it and it will be fine.
I left the key on and it happened to a 1 year old battery. Wouldn't stay charged more than a week if I didn't use it all the time.
Good luck and keep'em spinnin.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Have the battery load tested and replace if necessary. I would think that is your problem. These batteries are not deep cell batteries. Once they get drained to a point, they will not recharge.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also.

Check out the two links in my signature and hope to see you in June at the big meet.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I did the same thing. I was able to jump start the bike and rode for 10 min. came back shut it off and would not start again. I then jump started it again and rode for 1.5 hours and have not had any trouble since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts