M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
USB port install

Thought I would post some pics and some notes of my install for a mini USB port by Trackside. I picked the wiring kit up the other day at CycleGear on an impulse buy as they had them in a bin for $25. I had looked at other posts and searched the web, but I found this really was a decent setup that didn't take me goofing around with my own concoction.

Summary:
For those who like to skip to the last chapter, I basically mounted it on the right side on the back of the headlight housing. Already had a screw or me to use, so worked out good for my use.

Steps:
1) Found a nice spot with a bolt behind the headlamp
2) swapped out the bolt from the headlamp for a slightly longer bolt. (likely not needed, but I had one)
3) Unbolted fuel tank, but I did not remove.
4) Ran the USB wiring harness along the left side/under the fuel tank.
5) used a coat hanger to snake the wiring harness up the left side of the faring to use the opening in the faring next to steering column (Left side, forms a small rectangular opening for existing wires.
6) Ran wires back to battery, along top of frame under tank.

It took more time with each step as to figure out which side, where to run the wire, etc., but all in all, easy once I had my plan. Plan just took an hour or so :-(

Enjoy the pics. This setup is for my Samsung Note 4

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Looks clean. Nicely done.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Perfect timing on this one.
My wife just placed the order through Cruisercustomizing for my new pegs to surprise me at Christmas and when she saw the savings asked what else I wanted so I'm getting my new Arlen Ness Grips as well. WooHoo she is a good woman!!
CC also threw in a USB port http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/KY-1688_300.jpg so although I won't be mounting it on my handlebars like they show, I'll be hiding it away like you did. Thanks for the idea's on where to put it. :bigthumbsup:

I can't wait to be surprised on Christmas day when I open my gifts!!:hot:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts