M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife's sister and family left for the beach mid last week and left their dog with us.

We have 3 dogs already, so sitting a fourth is not a really big deal, but dogs are dogs and when you change the status quo, everything changes. They will not settle down when it is time. They are all 'in your face' just to see where the new pack structure is. None of it a big deal on it's own, but add 100+ temperatures into the mix so we can not just run it out of them and you have a house in unrest.

I work from home and am better with the dogs anyway, so I ended up with most of the disruption in my life.

Saturday, my wife went to do some shopping and came home for an early dinner, so I had the dogs all day.

After dinner, I NEEDED to see my mechanical therapist, so I helped clean up after dinner, got the wife and dogs situated and told her I was going for a ride.

I headed out on a country road that I like. The limit is 45 with plenty of turns marked 25 and even 15. I like to run that road faster than those numbers, so it usually does not take long before I am sitting behind some blue-hair doing 45, waiting for the next dashed section of road line. That evening worked out like it never had before.

I had my phone mounted to the bars acting as both GPS and mp3 player blue-toothed to my helmet rocking a play-list of Korn, G&R and other harder selections.

I rode hard for about 20 minutes before I came up behind my first vehicle, which was a CBR600 enjoying the twists. It just so happened that I came up on him right at a set dashed lines, so I passed him without missing a beat.

Once I passed him, he stayed with me for about the next 30 miles where we never came up behind any slower traffic. We came to a red light where I was turning left and he was going straight, so he pulled up beside me and gave me a :bigthumbsup: and a wave when the light turned green and our paths diverged.

Not long after, I came to a Wawa(gas station & convenience store big in my area) where I stopped to gas up and get a coffee. Gps said I had covered about 60 miles and had averaged 75mph. It did not feel like I was running that 45mph road that hard, but that average speaks for itself.

I grabbed my gas and my coffee and there were some other bikes there, so I went and chatted with the guys. After what has become the customary drool session over the 9, one guy began talking about his big ridding day.

He had done a charity ride in the morning and then went for a ride with this friend then ended up on a ride with another friend that had him at the same Wawa with me. The way he was talking about the huge riding day and the fact that he was on a HD full dresser, I was expecting an impressive number of miles. So, I asked how much ground he had covered in all of that. He walked to his bike to check the odometer and proudly declared 132 miles.

I bit my tongue and smiled. I was 60 miles into a ride to nowhere with at least 3 hours before the wife would even be looking for me. I fully expected to need to stop for gas again before I got home. But this guy, on a touring bike, was pleased with himself having covered 132 miles in a long day of riding.

When I pulled into the garage over 200 miles later, I thought about Mr 132 miles. I had done almost 300 miles on a joy-ride as a way to relax at the end of my day, but from his perspective 132 was the end of a long day.

My conclusions: His rides must not be as much fun as mine and mileage is all a matter of perspective.

Ride safe!
Have fun!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Goes without saying, Square! How else would I have owned a Phazer from 86 with 4200 miles? How about my 97 Vmax with 4800 miles? I even got this 9 at 2 years old with 1200 miles! To me, a long ride is 60 miles. My azz would never forgive me if I rode 200 miles!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I'm with you, bro. 300 miles is a good day of riding for me; 400-500 is a pretty long day, and anything over 500....I'm spent. Your observations are both true and funny. :bigthumbsup::doorag:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If I'm out just to ride I usually expect to do around 200. And, listening to that HD guy, I would have thought he did about 400 miles that day.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
on the 109 all i can muster in a day is about 300-400 and that is if i dont have to ride the next day. now on a touring type bike its on.

i think its funny you caught up to and passed the CBR!:bigthumbsup:.....:evil:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for this beautiful post :bigthumbsup:
I am sad to admit - I am closer to the side of that wimp on the HD with my riding distances :redfaced:
Good luck with the dogs, and remember - no one loves you like they do :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
am the same way man. Ill jump on my bike and one tank and a half later...Im thinking damn did I just do this...To each his own..and how one chooses to ride is their choice..but I think its funny how folks have asked me since Ive put so many miles on my 8 month old bike do plan to sell it....My response has always been no...and the reason I have a motorcycle is to ride it...not to look at it or park in front of the mall or on the strip and let people see me sitting on it..not riding it. a 200 mile day is nothing to me. I got on last night and just took a quick ride for +75 miles after already riding around earlier in the day for 150+ and a ride to MD and DC Friday and Saturday. Total of 400+ miles on that trip.

I also think having a motorcycle like the 109r makes it that much more fun as well..The ride to DC with Windshield and Bags nice, comfy and relaxed ride...then come home and rip up Charlottesville...light to light hard runs...showing off some M109r torque...its a easy bike to pull off both types riding...ride on man ride on.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I bought my 9 to ride it too, I have six or seven 500+ mile days and have put 9,300 miles on it since I bought it in February. I am inching towards the 20,000 mile mark and I think my 9 runs better than when I got it. It has been a great bike to learn on and I never get tired of looking for reasons to take a ride. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
My wife's sister and family left for the beach mid last week and left their dog with us.

We have 3 dogs already, so sitting a fourth is not a really big deal, but dogs are dogs and when you change the status quo, everything changes. They will not settle down when it is time. They are all 'in your face' just to see where the new pack structure is. None of it a big deal on it's own, but add 100+ temperatures into the mix so we can not just run it out of them and you have a house in unrest.

I work from home and am better with the dogs anyway, so I ended up with most of the disruption in my life.

Saturday, my wife went to do some shopping and came home for an early dinner, so I had the dogs all day.

After dinner, I NEEDED to see my mechanical therapist, so I helped clean up after dinner, got the wife and dogs situated and told her I was going for a ride.

I headed out on a country road that I like. The limit is 45 with plenty of turns marked 25 and even 15. I like to run that road faster than those numbers, so it usually does not take long before I am sitting behind some blue-hair doing 45, waiting for the next dashed section of road line. That evening worked out like it never had before.

I had my phone mounted to the bars acting as both GPS and mp3 player blue-toothed to my helmet rocking a play-list of Korn, G&R and other harder selections.

I rode hard for about 20 minutes before I came up behind my first vehicle, which was a CBR600 enjoying the twists. It just so happened that I came up on him right at a set dashed lines, so I passed him without missing a beat.

Once I passed him, he stayed with me for about the next 30 miles where we never came up behind any slower traffic. We came to a red light where I was turning left and he was going straight, so he pulled up beside me and gave me a :bigthumbsup: and a wave when the light turned green and our paths diverged.

Not long after, I came to a Wawa(gas station & convenience store big in my area) where I stopped to gas up and get a coffee. Gps said I had covered about 60 miles and had averaged 75mph. It did not feel like I was running that 45mph road that hard, but that average speaks for itself.

I grabbed my gas and my coffee and there were some other bikes there, so I went and chatted with the guys. After what has become the customary drool session over the 9, one guy began talking about his big ridding day.

He had done a charity ride in the morning and then went for a ride with this friend then ended up on a ride with another friend that had him at the same Wawa with me. The way he was talking about the huge riding day and the fact that he was on a HD full dresser, I was expecting an impressive number of miles. So, I asked how much ground he had covered in all of that. He walked to his bike to check the odometer and proudly declared 132 miles.

I bit my tongue and smiled. I was 60 miles into a ride to nowhere with at least 3 hours before the wife would even be looking for me. I fully expected to need to stop for gas again before I got home. But this guy, on a touring bike, was pleased with himself having covered 132 miles in a long day of riding.

When I pulled into the garage over 200 miles later, I thought about Mr 132 miles. I had done almost 300 miles on a joy-ride as a way to relax at the end of my day, but from his perspective 132 was the end of a long day.

My conclusions: His rides must not be as much fun as mine and mileage is all a matter of perspective.

Ride safe!
Have fun!
I can explain this one...For you, it's about the ride. For him, it's about 132 miles of being seen on a Harley, and having the joy of bragging about it to someone riding "lesser" machine.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The way he was talking about the huge riding day and the fact that he was on a HD full dresser, I was expecting an impressive number of miles. So, I asked how much ground he had covered in all of that. He walked to his bike to check the odometer and proudly declared 132 miles.
:eek:...........:a20:

Why in God's name would you get a full dresser with more cargo room than the space shuttle and only ride 132 miles? I'm more like you. A nice little 1-1/2 hr evening country stroll is almost 100 miles for me. A nice day of riding is around 400 miles with several stops.

Like soooo many things in life, it's always a matter of perspective.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
That's a pretty fun story. Thanks for sharing.
I've had days where I've ridden interstate for what seemed like all day (7 hours) and clocked 450+ miles.
I've also had days where I've ridden 100 miles that took 7 hours because of all of the stops & side projects.
I've had "joy rides" that lasted 400 miles and "joy rides" which were only about 30 miles.

No, I wouldn't be bragging about 132 miles of riding, but if I'd made a dozen stops to visit people along the way, I could see that taking me an entire day. (but notice, I wouldn't call that a day of riding. That would just be my mode of transportation for a day of visiting.)

Also, was the Mr. 132 an older guy? Depending on health situations (bum hip or knee), 132 might be quite an accomplishment.

edit:
But, you are absolutely correct...mileage is a matter of perspective. Iron butt rallies make me wonder about the sanity of those who partake in them. That would flat kill me. But they see it as a fun ride.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get me wrong in any of this.

I am not mocking the guy for 132 miles. Good for him. At least he rode the thing.

I am not trying to say you need to cover 300 miles for it to be a ride.

It just struck me how different his day must have been from mine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don't get me wrong in any of this.

I am not mocking the guy for 132 miles. Good for him. At least he rode the thing.

I am not trying to say you need to cover 300 miles for it to be a ride.

It just struck me how different his day must have been from mine.
Also....that HD will not pass/hang with a CBR600 or average 75mph on a 45mph twisty road! :a18:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Perspective "Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet".

I thought you guys would all appreciate the truth in this one. :D

Never a truer word was spoken....:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one perspective not considered here is the guy ridding the CBR.

I do not know why he was out that night, where he was heading or how he felt about being passed by some guy on big ars (280) cruiser.

I had expected him to either keep his speed and be a distant memory. When I noticed he was with me, I was fully expecting him to pass me. I was just hoping he was a good enough rider not to do anything stupid when he passed to endanger either one of us.

But he did neither. He just rode with me. He kept a safe distance back, stayed offset in the lane on long straights where we were over 120 more times than I'll share and dropped back before turns so we each had a full lane.

I wish guys I ride with on a regular basis would be half the rider he was.

I no longer have any sport bikes in the circle of people I ride with. Maybe that is a problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Cool story.

I was out Sunday on the ZRX and did about 400 miles just clearing my brain. Was to meet up with a guy but found out he left 15 minutes before I got there. I was 30 minutes late, so my bad. I had a small round bag behind me, with a rain suit in it, but nothing else.

At one gas stop there were a couple of Ultra Classic guys standing in the shade by their bikes. I don't usually talk to those guys unless they initiate the conversation as it always ends up being all about their bikes, which I couldn't really care less about. The one guy said something to me about how I didn't have near enough storage to haul all the things you needed for a trip like hair dryers and makeup and what not, alluding to his wife who was just coming out of the store, I think. I took it as a "I wish I was on your bike instead" moment and just said I can travel for a week like this, it is why I am by myself! Wife kind of gave her hubby an ugly glare and I jumped on my bike and was gone. Hopefully, I was able to do my part to make their afternoon even more enjoyable!

It was a beautiful day here. I passed two big bikes with passengers doing about 45 on the way back, with a car following them. Now I wonder if it might have been those two. It was kind of a tacky thing to do, but we were on a nice winding road and they were ruining it.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That's a pretty fun story. Thanks for sharing.
I've had days where I've ridden interstate for what seemed like all day (7 hours) and clocked 450+ miles.
I've also had days where I've ridden 100 miles that took 7 hours because of all of the stops & side projects.
I've had "joy rides" that lasted 400 miles and "joy rides" which were only about 30 miles.

No, I wouldn't be bragging about 132 miles of riding, but if I'd made a dozen stops to visit people along the way, I could see that taking me an entire day. (but notice, I wouldn't call that a day of riding. That would just be my mode of transportation for a day of visiting.)

Also, was the Mr. 132 an older guy? Depending on health situations (bum hip or knee), 132 might be quite an accomplishment.

edit:
But, you are absolutely correct...mileage is a matter of perspective. Iron butt rallies make me wonder about the sanity of those who partake in them. That would flat kill me. But they see it as a fun ride.
I had the same thought.
Although I am a mere 48 yrs. old. I raced motocross until a few years ago and have two 40+ championships. However, not without a price to pay.
Among several injuries I've had in my life time, the two that rear their ugly heads when I ride today are:
broke neck (c-5) in 1983 in a Mustang GT.
broke tail bone in 1978 during a week of motocross school.

These injuries really affect my longevity on the 9 however, I'll stop more often the worse it gets during the ride.
I do have a marathon milestone to my name back in my younger day. Non-stop from Los Angelas to Memphis (30 something hours) on a '78 Goldwing.

See, you really never know what his past may have been. Just say'n.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
We have 100 mile days where we stop a lot and enjoy the views, and 250-300 mile days where we just ride to see some place different. Doesn't matter how far, we enjoy each and every one of them. Some of our favorite rides are evening rides on local roads that we are both familiar with and can have some fun on the twisties, kind of like your country road. We might ride one of them or several in an evening, just running around and enjoying the ride.

It's all good, short or long, slow or fast, alone or with someone.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts