M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since taking the beast out of her winter cocoon, with all the ususal springtime freshen-ups, oil change, etc...I'm noticing a significant drop in mileage. I'm used to getting right around 40 mpg, now it's more like 33-34 mpg. There's just shy of 15K miles on it now. Not sure what could account for such a big drop. Tire pressures are where they're supposed to be. Any ideas? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gasoline. It'll take a couple of tankfuls to flush out all the old gas. Depending on your area and whether or not you get "winter" gas you could be getting gas that is lower in BTU rating Due to oxygenates. Give it some time and see if it gets better with time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Gasoline. It'll take a couple of tankfuls to flush out all the old gas. Depending on your area and whether or not you get "winter" gas you could be getting gas that is lower in BTU rating Due to oxygenates. Give it some time and see if it gets better with time.
I would agree. Mine did the same thing and after a new tank or two it perked right back up to where it was before as far as mileage goes.Guess maybe gas stabilizer really would help?

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Maybe you are twisting the throttle a little more because you are back on the bike and have woken her up. :D :evil: I would think the gas issue as stated above is what it really is also. Ride safe and hope to see you at the meet this year.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The first couple of days I rode my bike this spring I had a 3/4 tank full of 5 month old gasoline, the bike started up great and ran but I was running on empty way under my usual range. A few tanks later and now im getting really great mileage again :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys guys, but I've been through at least 2 fresh tanks of gas already. I always put stabilizer in over the winter. I dunno, I'll give it another tank or two before I start poking around, but I suspect it's something else.

What about the spark plugs? Could that do it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's possible but not likely that the plugs would go bad over the winter and with so little miles on them. Did you put fresh oil in? Did you change to a heavier oil? Did you make any MODs?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try finding a station that sells 100% gasoline. Gas with ethanol is crap, leaves a white powdery residue behind and plugs up fuel filters and corrodes fuel senders. We actually have stations here that have banners up advertising that they only sell 100% gasoline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts