M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Are 240 metzler tyres (880 series) the same width as the standard dunlops?
I have read about different brands being a particular size e.g 240 but different manufactures tyres look smaller or bigger.
Any thoughts you can share?
Cheers:beer3:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
The ones that I've seen mounted on here don't seem to fit the rim right. I don't know if they are as wide or not, but there looks like a gap between the bead and rim when they are mounted. Something is different but I'm not sure what.

The 260 Metzeler fits fine.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I notice that the tires can have the same size on the side wall but the shape and size are different. More with the front tire. I have a Bridgestone on the front and its wider then the Metz and has less crown on the tire. It also gives me a better ride. Yes to go from one kind of tire to another could have different shapes and size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Metzler tires;my previous post

First of Al, a big thank you to Al on a previous post "Bridgestone vs. Metzler. After 20K miles, it was finally time to retread from the original OEM tires. I saw where Motorcycle Superstore had a great sale on the OEM's so on a whim I called my local Suzuki dealer for a tire quote. Turns out, they offered me Metzler 880 Marathons out the door for just 12 bucks more than what it would cost to get OEM Bridgestones shipped in from M/C Superstore & mounted up at their shop. I was skeptical since the back tire is a lower profile & the speedo would be off some more but after reading reviews on Metzler I said "go for it".
Wow, what a difference! Night & day, like going from a truck to a sports car!
Previously, I had always felt that the back tire was "in charge" of the bikes handling & when I first got the bike had to "re-learn" how to ride as you have to throw yourself into a turn with the OEM tires. Not so with the Metz. Now the front & back tires seem perfectly matched. Just a gentle lean into a turn & you can feel the front wheel pull you thru like it should. The front end also feels lighter, a very welcome side effect as the 109 is very heavy in the front end. I think this is due to A) a more rounded tread contour & B) the lowering of the rear end due to the lower profile rear tire (I feel as if my feet reach the ground easier). It's as if I now have power steering. Don't know how the tread life will hold up but the ride is much softer now so time will tell.
Regarding the speedo being off, originally I figure I was off by about 5mph, now maybe 7-8mph. but I have a "trick up my sleeve" to correct this problem & will do a new post on it soon.
Any one else who went Metz, join in & comment. The rest of you guys, don't think twice about it!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
there was a thread on here about total overall width of these tires but i have not been able to find it. if anyone knows were it has gone or the key words to find it in search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts