M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back tire is just about toast so I have a new set on order. I'm going with the Metzlers'. 260/40VR18 rear and 130/60VR18 front. From all the threads here it appears the 260 rear will fit the stock rim. I believe that's what Hal is riding right now. I'm a bit concerned about the front though. It didn't appear that Metzler had a 130/70VR18 front. All that showed up was the 130/60VR18 so that's what I went with.

My question is what's that going to do with speedo and odometer readings with the 60 profile vs the stock 70??? Any other issues?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i highly doubt you'll have any issues at all. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
752 Posts
speedo is off the crank not the front tire.

It's so far off anyway who cares  :)

But it won't affect it.

G

·
My front is the 130/70x18 Metzeler which is the tire for the VTX1800C and GL1800. It is the same dimension as the stock Dunlop that comes on the M109. I wasn't a big fan of the 130/60x18 that a few guys used on the VTX. I thought it made the tire look out of scale to everything else.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HalGreenlee said:
My front is the 130/70x18 Metzeler which is the tire for the VTX1800C and GL1800. It is the same dimension as the stock Dunlop that comes on the M109. I wasn't a big fan of the 130/60x18 that a few guys used on the VTX. I thought it made the tire look out of scale to everything else.
Just the person I was hoping would reply. But now I'm more confused than ever. Look as I might, I can not find a 130/70x18 Metzler anywhere on the web. After looking though all Metzler sales outlets, I even started searching by VTX1800c tires and found Metzler references but not for that tire size. Where did you find it, and if you don't mind, how much was it? Also, is it the exact same tread pattern as the 260 rear?

Also, how much will the 60 series change the front ride height? I presume with a lower profile tire that it will.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When looking up the 130/70/18 size for the front you need to look at the regular ME880 Marathon and not the ME880 XXL Marathons and you will find it :bigthumbsup:

Front: 130/70/18 ME880 Marathon

Rear: 240 or 260/40/18 ME880 XXL Marathon

:D

Now to just wear out my Dunlops (which won't be long at the rate I'm going) , so I can give Hal some more business :p

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bonehead said:
When looking up the 130/70/18 size for the front you need to look at the regular ME880 Marathon and not the ME880 XXL Marathons and you will find it :bigthumbsup:

Front: 130/70/18 ME880 Marathon

Rear: 240 or 260/40/18 ME880 XXL Marathon

:D

Now to just wear out my Dunlops (which won't be long at the rate I'm going) , so I can give Hal some more business :p
I'm not certain why on your posts you leave off the speed rating. I'd like the front tire to match the rear tire. This is off the Metzler web site. Here are all the tires listed as 130/70/18. None of them match the VR rating of the rear tire. A rating or R is only good for 106 mph. Not so good.

130/70B18M/CTL 63H ME880F

130/70R18M/CTL 63H(G) ME880F

130/70R18M/CTL 63HFRONT H ME880F

130/70R18M/CTL 63HGL ME880F

G

·
R in that designation place means "radial".

A VR or HR would be the speed rating along with the radial designation.

The HR is rated at 130 mph, VR is 149 mph and a ZR is 149+ mph.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HalGreenlee said:
R in that designation place means "radial".

A VR or HR would be the speed rating along with the radial designation.

The HR is rated at 130 mph, VR is 149 mph and a ZR is 149+ mph.
First off, I appreciate you help.
What speed rating is the front tire you put on your bike? I've not found one yet that lists 130/70VR18. If it just says 130/70R18 does that imply it's VR? I'm not trying to beat this to death but why do the rear tires clearly list them as VR and none of the front tires do except the 60 series. Do you have a site link for front tires listed as 130/70VR18? That would help greatly as I can't find a front tire listed as VR.

G

·
Its because the tire manufacturers don't always want them to be listed. A tire could have a V rating on one batch and drop to an H rating on the next batch but yet both tires are perfectly suitable for the bike.

The distributor catalog lists the Metzeler 11013361 as a 130/70HR18 and that is what is on my bike.

As the speed ratings go up the availability of tire sizes goes down.

A Y speed rating is good up to 186MPH but only available in a couple of sizes.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HalGreenlee said:
Its because the tire manufacturers don't always want them to be listed. A tire could have a V rating on one batch and drop to an H rating on the next batch but yet both tires are perfectly suitable for the bike.

The distributor catalog lists the Metzeler 11013361 as a 130/70HR18 and that is what is on my bike.

As the speed ratings go up the availability of tire sizes goes down.

A Y speed rating is good up to 186MPH but only available in a couple of sizes.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the catalog number. Now I have a decision to make. I've already got the 60 series VR rated front tire on order. I think I'll look at it when it comes in to make my decision on going with the lower profile or asking for them to exhange it for the 70 series.

Many thanks! Hope you and LaMont have a fun and safe ride to Sturgis!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yeah the H rated tire would be good enough for me too :D

AFAIK when a tire is speed rated it means it can stay at that speed or below for extended periods of time with no worry about heat build up or seperation.
Short blasts over the speed rating shouldn't cause any problems IMO.

Since I have no plans for a long 130+ run (maybe 110-120mph :evil:) the H(130mph) rating would suit me fine.

Speaking of speed ratings on tires, you don't even want to know the speed rating on an 18 wheelers tires that routinely pass you on the interstates at 85-90mph ;)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bonehead said:
Yeah the H rated tire would be good enough for me too :D

AFAIK when a tire is speed rated it means it can stay at that speed or below for extended periods of time with no worry about heat build up or seperation.
Short blasts over the speed rating shouldn't cause any problems IMO.

Since I have no plans for a long 130+ run (maybe 110-120mph :evil:) the H(130mph) rating would suit me fine.

Speaking of speed ratings on tires, you don't even want to know the speed rating on an 18 wheelers tires that routinely pass you on the interstates at 85-90mph ;)
Weight has a big effect in the equation. I'm 275lbs. With an H rated tire that puts me at the limit where speed and weight rating intersect and at my weight and a 700lb bike I bust that limit. Since I'm well over 100mph frequently, I want all the edge on my side that I can get. That's why I wanted the VR rated tires. Heck I'd rather have Z rated.

After further consideration I have decided to go with the standard size 130/70HR18 Metzler on the front. I got too nervous about changing the front tire profile to a 60 series and what that might do to the bikes ride dynamics. So it will be an HR rated tire on the front and a VR rated tire on the rear (260/40VR18). Not exactly what I was hoping for but I guess the best overall possibility given the tire choices.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. We'll call this the wrap up report. Picked up the bike today after having the new Metzler's installed - 260/40VR18 rear and 13070HR18 front. Instantly on pulling out onto the road I could tell a difference in the maneuverability of the bike.

It's been logged on this board frequently about the pre-emphasis effort one has to put into initiating turns with the stock tires (mainly the back tire). Due to the flatter bottom profile, you have to initiate turns with some physical effort and then wait for things to start happening. Well not so with the Metzlers. I guess it's due to the fact they have a more evenly rounded profile. Whatever the case, the bike seems downright light to the touch now in instigating a turn. Just the slightest inference of pressure on the bars and the bike moves to your response fairly immediately.

Now I know what one of the service guys meant when on my getting on the bike to ride off he yelled out, "watch out, those new tires are really fast into a corner compared to the stock tires." And he's quite right.

Overall my first impression is the larger Metzler seemed to handle like a smaller tire compared to the stock tire. On the stock unit, because of the effort involved to get it transitioned into a turn, you always felt the presence of a big tire back there. With the Metzler, you'd never know it was as large as it is.

Once I've gotten them broken in and can get into some more aggressive riding I'll be glad to post back overall handling characteristics if thats useful.

Oh. I didn't post a picture cause you've all seen Hal's. I just didn't remember any commentary on how they performed.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Thanks for the report :bigthumbsup:..................makes my pick of tires even easier, was planning to go with Metzlers anyway, but was still looking around also.  Now to see if I can get the rest of this riding season out of the Dunnies :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts