M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Had my Metz installed today, my conclusion, GPS shows,OEM was 66 [email protected] rpm now 64 mph only 2mph diff. as stock dia. is 26.60 metz 25.9 not significant to notice. what is noticeable is noise, much quieter on the metz, profile looks narrower do to a more rounded tire, handling in twistees way better. Hope to get more than the 6k stock tire got me. The center of the stock oem was thin enough it felt like you could push your finger through it, an I was going triple digits on that piece of crap:eek::eek::eek:, a cheap tire, it was always kept at 42psi.Idont care what other riders thik, I will never run the Excedra again!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Had my Metz' installed today. My thoughts after the first 20 miles are that noticeably less effort is required to counter-steer and that there is less road noise compared to the Bridgestones. I can't wait to get these suckers broken in so I can see what they can do!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Had my Metz' installed today. My thoughts after the first 20 miles are that noticeably less effort is required to counter-steer and that there is less road noise compared to the Bridgestones. I can't wait to get these suckers broken in so I can see what they can do!
:agree:the bike feels lighter,almost as if the bridgestones were car tires with the flatter profile. They looked fatter than the metz, and handled completely different. I think you get what you pay for applies here.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Metzeler = smoother, easier ride

Thanks a lot fellow C109 riders... I read all there was on this forum about tires, and decided to try the Metzeler for my second set.

I also found that switching to Metzelers (at 41-42 psi) made a huge difference from the Bridgestones... I actually had to re-program myself, as it requires of lot less counter steering to handle the bike. Moreover, it is way more stable in curves, especially with the badly designed curves we have all over Quebec. The Metzeler is definitely rounder than the Bridgestone. I also find that the Metzeler provides a smoother ride (went for 580 km ride on day one with the Metz). Can't say anything about durability yet, but even if they do not last as long as the Bridgestone, the next set will be Metzeler.

Just to add to what others said about the Metzeler for the C109... Only one choice for the back (ME 880 Marathon XXL, 240/50 R 16 M/C 84V TL). For the front, dealer may offer multiple choices (same size, different specs). In my case, two dealers were quoting me the "wrong" one, and I had to correct them. The ideal, recommended, one you want is :
ME 880 Marathon V Rated, 150/80 R 16 M/C 71V TL
the one they were quoting me was:
ME 880 Marathon S/H Rated, 150/80 - 16 M/C 71H TL (not even a radial! :dontknow: )
as mentioned earlier, another Metzeler with good sizing but non-matching speed rating is:
ME 880 Marathon S/H Rated, 150/80 R 16 M/C TL 71H

I can't say if the V (240km/h) vs H (210 km/h) speed rating is absolutely essential, but it is recommended to match speed ratings. Also, I feel much more comfortable/safe at 200 km/h (125mph) with the Metzelers than I did with the Bridgestones. It just feels more stable.

Cheers,

- Stéphane

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its important to run a vr radial to match the rear, great info as many people try to save money and run the h rated radial, Im sure they would be fine but not for me, why have a v rated rear, then put a bias h or h radial?I think any one running a car tire should also be at least v rated.Some are running rear tires on the front, from a goldwing I believe, they have deeper tread and may get more miles than the v rated radial.Metzeler is a spendy tire,but all I used on my 1400. I do wish they made a 260vr or 280 vr for the 16 " rim,I there appears to be room.Any one who believes the Bridgestones to be as good, probably has never tried the Metz or is scared of the price. Wish the parent company of Metz Pirelli would make there mt 66 series in radial for this bike they are way cheaper then the Metz. Any Metz riders tell us how many miles they got off a rear???:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well I do think the Metz handled well. Although most any new tire is going to feel better than an old worn out one.I didn't like that the casing was thinner than the bridgestone. When both tires are worn out, the bridgestone is about2/32" thicker than the Metz at the bottom of the tread depth. I should clarify. This is on the front tires as I haven't run a rear metz.

I never tried a Metz rear since the size is smaller and the tread depth to start is only 7/32 vs the BS at 9/32 .

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I do think the Metz handled well. Although most any new tire is going to feel better than an old worn out one.I didn't like that the casing was thinner than the bridgestone. When both tires are worn out, the bridgestone is about2/32" thicker than the Metz at the bottom of the tread depth. I should clarify. This is on the front tires as I haven't run a rear metz.

I never tried a Metz rear since the size is smaller and the tread depth to start is only 7/32 vs the BS at 9/32 .
Tred depth can be deceiving,soft tires wear faster than touring tires, the crotch rocket riders up here like Michelin, my oem rear tire was so soft in the middle you could almost push your finger through it!! I dont believe the tire was a steel belted like the metz is. Ive ran a metz right to the cord once!:redfaced:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ok.. somebody want to call me an ambulance? I think i had a heart attack

I priced out Metz local
Front:$302
Rear:$418

WOWZers :dontknow:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just bought a pair from Dennis Kirk, rear,251.00 to the door v rated front,181.00. thats 432.00 for the pair, almost half of your 720,shipped to your door, fresh dot#s too, not old tires some dealer has had laying around, always look the dot #s over they are there for a reason I guess!:eek:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Just paid 432$ (before taxes) for both Metz

Ok.. somebody want to call me an ambulance? I think i had a heart attack

I priced out Metz local
Front:$302
Rear:$418

WOWZers :dontknow:
Before your heart gives up...

These are retail prices. Contact your dealer, he should be able to get you a decent price. I am further east, but same country. Got them last week at my Suzuki dealer, and here is what I paid:
Front : 301.99 (retail) - 120.80 (discount) = 181.19 $CA (183 $US)
Rear : 417.99 (retail) - 167.20 (discount) = 250.79 $CA (253 $US)

For me, the most painful part was the bloody 9% Quebec provincial sales tax... knowing that some fellow Canadians out west pay 0% PST on their new Metz... Yup... I miss the Rockies, the long summer days, and the good old Alberta taxes... (lived in Edmonton for 10 years).

·
Registered
729 Posts
$455 shipped (USA) is the regular price for the pair ('V' rated) at Motorcycle Superstore. Had them in 2 days. They go on sale periodically there also. Paid $110 to have a local dealer install them.

·
Registered
620 Posts
here it's $100 for the front and $150 for the rear (or that's what it was last time) to have rubber installed if you just roll the bike in. It's cheaper if you bring just the wheels in.

But I don't have any way of lifting the big beast to get the wheels off... I have a 3 ton floor jack :joke: but I don't think it'll work for very long.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
here it's $100 for the front and $150 for the rear (or that's what it was last time) to have rubber installed if you just roll the bike in. It's cheaper if you bring just the wheels in.

But I don't have any way of lifting the big beast to get the wheels off... I have a 3 ton floor jack :joke: but I don't think it'll work for very long.
250$ for install seems very excessive to me!!! Just to give an idea, here they charged me 35$ each for install (@ my Suzuki dealer), and I have a hitch on my C109. Note that most dealers should be able to order the Metz. I went to see them, told them what I wanted, not in stock in Quebec City (of course... I know of only one other C109 in the region), two days to get them (it took two days because the front one actually came from "your area"... Calgary), than I brought the bike in and they installed them for 2 * 35$ while I waited... When I shopped around, the other two Suzuki dealers were charging similar for installs (70-90$ for both). 250$ sounds like a rip-off... It is roughly a one-hour job... It may be worth checking in Edmonton...

Good luck!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well being that it's "oil country" here the stores/shops figure if you have the money for the toys you have the money for everything else so they charge more.

I will shop around though.. 'cause.. ouch

·
Registered
188 Posts
Had my front Metz screwed on today,47.00. 50-75 is the rate average here. I also dumped dynabeads in, first time for me, heard good things,thought if it does save tire wear,its worth it.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Metz 880 : stickier than stock... maybe not!!!

I now have about 1500km on my new Metz 880. Still love them so much more than the stock Bridgestones.

That said, I was under the impression the Metz was to be more sticky than the Bridgestone... but with the Bridgestone, I never once got the rear to spin and burn rubber on start... but I frequently burn rubber with the Metz. Note that my goal has never been to spin the rear, I just like quick take-off... and I do not think I have changed my driving habits with the Metz (except maybe higher top-speed since smoother at high speed). Could it be because the Metz is more round, hence smaler surface contact with the road.

Anyone noticed something similar?

If not, it might be the slight fuel enrichment that was done at the same time that may have slightling increase power (my Suzuki mech increased it to the max possible with the stock FI controller).

Anyway, if I keep that up, the Metz certainly will not last long...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think the metz run a harder 'touring' compound,not as sticky, plus the metz more rounded profile may be a smaller contact patch on straight riding, but they handle soo much beter in the curves!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Definitely loving the corners with the Metz on. It's so much easier that I still over-do the counter pressure occasionally and lean over farther than I intend too. I got my first good, post break-in run on Skyline here in PDX yesterday and was impressed. I need to get out away from town where I can really grind the boards sans traffic and driveways. Unfortunately the weather is :edit: this weekend. I may just have to put on the rain gear and give them a good wet test nows that the roads have been well rinsed.

What are you all running for pressures on the Metz? I have mine set at 42R/40F. Not sure if this is optimal or not for maximum life....

21 - 40 of 47 Posts