M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bike with 12k miles on it and replaced the rear with an 880 not long after. I now have a little over 16k on it and it's looking like it needs replacing. It's it normal to wear out that quickly? I don't do burnouts or anything. Just cruising and commuting. It's the 888 any better? Or other options for a 260? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I bought the bike with 12k miles on it and replaced the rear with an 880 not long after. I now have a little over 16k on it and it's looking like it needs replacing. It's it normal to wear out that quickly? I don't do burnouts or anything. Just cruising and commuting. It's the 888 any better? Or other options for a 260? Thanks in advance!
16k on a rear tire is great especially a Metz! I usually get 8k or less lol. I don't do any burnouts either, but I ride hard most of the time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put on the ME 888 260/160 combo last year. I am replacing the rear. The center still has tread but the sides are just shadows of tread. I have about 7,000 hard curvy road miles on this set. The front still looks great. If I didn't ride like my hair was on fire I could probably get at least 12,000 out of a rear.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I think what he's saying is that the bike had 12K when he changed the tire, and now the bike has 16K. Not the tire, which apparently only has 4K on it. Could be from running under-pressure. For maximum tire life on a bike, you need to keep them near the maximum on the sidewall. I run my 280 Metz at the 42 psi stated on the tire. Been on the bike since July 2018. Has around 6000 miles on it now. It should be noted I spend more time on curvy roads than straight up riding. Which makes a tire last longer, because every mile you ride leaned over is another mile you can ride straight up. My 280 is actually showing tread bars on the sides near the edge, but not in the center. So I will jsut be staying away from the curves for awhile, until I wear the center to match the sides.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I put on the ME 888 260/160 combo last year. I am replacing the rear. The center still has tread but the sides are just shadows of tread. I have about 7,000 hard curvy road miles on this set. The front still looks great. If I didn't ride like my hair was on fire I could probably get at least 12,000 out of a rear.
Same here, my rear 280 is showing wear bars on the outer edges, while the center still has a lot of tread. I will just be staying away from the curves for awhile, until the center has equal wear, then I'll get a new t ire. Front is still doing great. I live to ride curves. Straight up riding is boring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I check the pressure every couple weeks, and always kept it around 40-42. But yes, I'd say the tire has maybe 3k-4k miles on it. My only other thoughts are the roads are rough here and I'm 6'5" and ~315lbs. I'm sure those are contributing factors.

The only other 260s I've seen are the Metzeler 888 and the Avon Cobra AV92. Would either those last longer than the 880?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Rough roads are hard on tires. The roads here are touch-and-go. Depends on where you are. Up in Northwest Arkansas, the roads are, I believe it's called "pitch. Real rough, like riding on a file. Real hard on tires. And yeah, your weight would play a factor. I weigh 175 myself, and keep my rear shock on the lowest setting. I know the Metzeler on the back of mine is named Marathon. That should imply that the tire can go a long ways. So far, it has. But like I said, I live to ride curvy roads. And hence the tire will last a lot longer than if I was just riding straight up all the time. Most bikes in my area, the tire is heavily worn in the middle, to the point they look like car tires. Every chance I get, I hit the curves, to round off any tendency of a flat spot developing.

·
Registered
2006 Silver M109R
461 Posts
I did try the 880 a few years ago and was disappointed in the life. I am on my second set of 888 and it does seem to have better tire life but not by much. I think I got about 8k on the last set. I was disappointed in the front tire life more than the rear but I did just change out the springs in in the front and this one seems to be doing better. I typically get two years out of the front but only one out of the rear. Like you the roads are more like 40 grit sandpaper around here.

The best tire life in my use was the 250 E3 but they are getting hard to find but don't seem to turn in as quick as the Metz. They used to be pretty inexpensive compared to the Metz too but now they are about the same. I may try the E4 next year.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I did try the 880 a few years ago and was disappointed in the life. I am on my second set of 888 and it does seem to have better tire life but not by much. I think I got about 8k on the last set. I was disappointed in the front tire life more than the rear but I did just change out the springs in in the front and this one seems to be doing better. I typically get two years out of the front but only one out of the rear. Like you the roads are more like 40 grit sandpaper around here.

The best tire life in my use was the 250 E3 but they are getting hard to find but don't seem to turn in as quick as the Metz. They used to be pretty inexpensive compared to the Metz too but now they are about the same. I may try the E4 next year.
Wow UVATom, I just read some online information earlier stating the ME888 MARATHON ULTRA tires could last around 20K miles for the rear tires, and around 24K miles for the front tires...providing the bike is not ridden extremely hard. I guess that turns out to be a bunch of nonsense, since you have tried them, and can verify they only last slightly longer than the previous ME880 MARATHON tire. Boy, don't I feel like a fool, having drank that cool-aide I saw/read thoroughly online earlier today. Shame on me!!! I should've known better than to believe any motorcycle tire of any brand/type could last approximately 20k or 24k miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should also add that my front 880 still has decent life left and the previous owner had that one installed. I know the rear wears out faster, but I didn't think it would be that big of a difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I tried a Metzler rear and the life was rubbish compared to the Avon Cobra and the new Chrome seems to be matching it.
Interesting fact on the Cobra Chrome, the standard 240 rear has 2mm more tread than the larger sizes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a set of Avon Cobra Chromes. 150/70B18 front and 260/40VR18 rear. $580 ordered and installed. I read a lot of positive reviews on the Avons and I've only had Metzeler, so I thought I'd give them a try. I have an 880 160/60R18 on the front now, but that size was unavailable in the Avons. The shop said the ones I ordered were the closest match for the front. A couple places I called didn't want to mount a rear tire in reverse on the front, for liability, but this place got good reviews and said as long as it fit, they'd mount it.

What's the difference between the 880 being R18 and the Avon being B18?

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
What's the difference between the 880 being R18 and the Avon being B18?
R shows it is a radial tire and B shows it's a bias ply tire. I've never tried mixing radial and bias ply on a bike myself, but I've seen a few bikes that came from the factory like that. On a 4 wheeled vehicle it's a no-no to mix them as they handle differently. I had an old pickup that I put radials on the front and bias on the back and that thing felt like it was on ice in every turn.

Not trying to scare you, but you might want to do a little Googling and see how mixing them works on a bike. Maybe having one or the other at certain ends works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I read on multiple forums not to mix the bias and radial tires. Some said they have done it and ridden thousands of miles with no issues, but the majority of people advised against it.

I ordered some 888s in the same sizes I have now. I'll call the place tomorrow and cancel the Avons. I was looking forward to trying them, but not at the cost of safety. The shop I called gave a big discount on installation with ordering the tires through them (down from $95 to $25 per tire), but they didn't stock any Metzeler. I'll see if we can work something out if I still have them mount the 888s. Thanks, Zoom, for the info!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the 888s mounted this past weekend and the bike feels great. I had trouble finding a shop that would mount the 160 backwards, but I finally found a guy who didn't mind. A lot of shops wanted $200+ to bring the bike in to change the tires. I figured it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a motorcycle jack and learn how to take the wheels off myself. I'll save on future tire changes and rotor swaps as well. These forums and YouTube videos saved the day lol. I got one of these and it worked like a charm.

I have 16100 miles on the bike as of this morning, so I'll be interested to see how long these tires last. If I can get 6k out of the rear, I'll be happy.

Reactions: JUDAH-9
1 - 15 of 15 Posts