M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening
Need a new set of rubber...any negatives for Cruistec or ME888 as same price.
Looking for longevity and thoughts as going on stock rims. Currently running a Dunlop e3 250/40/18
Rear 260/40/18
Front 160/40/18
Thx
Derek

· Registered
15 Posts
Old post I know but reviving to see what others thought. Found fairly little on the Cruisetec on here compared to the 888. Surprising because it’s supposed to outperform it and they make a proper size Front for us

· Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,735 Posts
I kind of remember having one of those in the 130 or stock size, but I can't say for sure. It happens when you've had the bike for almost 16 years. I know it was a cruise something. If you want the stock size almost everyone makes it, it's when you go wider that you start seeing them in rear tires only. You've probably read enough to see that you can run those and just reverse them.

If you want to stay in the 140 or 150 width, you can also find those in front tires. I'm running a 150 on mine now. The 160 width, as far as I know, is only made in a front tire that fits a Gold Wing, and it's kind of expensive.

· Registered
15 Posts
No, thats why I was wondering why I don't see it more.

Metz makes the Cruisetec in a 160 front 260 rear. They are slotted above the 888s too in performance etc in the lineup. Reviews seem good.

Seem damn near purpose made for the 9, so expected to see more about em, but people seem to talk about 888s more still for some reason.

I kind of remember having one of those in the 130 or stock size, but I can't say for sure. It happens when you've had the bike for almost 16 years. I know it was a cruise something. If you want the stock size almost everyone makes it, it's when you go wider that you start seeing them in rear tires only. You've probably read enough to see that you can run those and just reverse them.

If you want to stay in the 140 or 150 width, you can also find those in front tires. I'm running a 150 on mine now. The 160 width, as far as I know, is only made in a front tire that fits a Gold Wing, and it's kind of expensive.

· Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,735 Posts
It may be they just made them available in the 160/60-18 for a front tire, or nobody ever noticed it. I kind of find it hard to believe no one noticed them as it's always been a common topic on here. Give it a shot and let us know how they work. And it's good they are in 60 height so you shouldn't have problems with fender clearance.

Whatever it was I used before, I had them on it twice. The first I ran reversed and the second in normal rotation, just to see if it made any difference. I couldn't tell that it did. I'm curious what they were now so I'm going to see if I can find an old order confirmation for them.

Edit: It wasn't a cruise anything, they were Dunlop Roadsmart tires in 160/60-18 in a rear tire. I had to go back 8 years to find the last one. :) And apparently they don't offer them in that size anymore. Maybe that's why I dropped back to a 150/60 which is a front tire.

· Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
6,058 Posts
One consideration that's often overlooked is load rating. The 9 is a heavy bike, and some tires are "less suitable" for that reason.

· Registered
15 Posts
It may be they just made them available in the 160/60-18 for a front tire, or nobody ever noticed it. I kind of find it hard to believe no one noticed them as it's always been a common topic on here. Give it a shot and let us know how they work. And it's good they are in 60 height so you shouldn't have problems with fender clearance.

Whatever it was I used before, I had them on it twice. The first I ran reversed and the second in normal rotation, just to see if it made any difference. I couldn't tell that it did. I'm curious what they were now so I'm going to see if I can find an old order confirmation for them.

Edit: It wasn't a cruise anything, they were Dunlop Roadsmart tires in 160/60-18 in a rear tire. I had to go back 8 years to find the last one. :) And apparently they don't offer them in that size anymore. Maybe that's why I dropped back to a 150/60 which is a front tire.
It’s fairly new. Last couple years I think. But not ultra recent. It’s been in that size since launch.

· Administrator
6,058 Posts
Old post I know but reviving to see what others thought. Found fairly little on the Cruisetec on here compared to the 888. Surprising because it’s supposed to outperform it and they make a proper size Front for us
Maybe the Cuisetec is "new". From the Metzeler website:

The Metzeler Cruisetec™ is an ideal road tire for improved performance on V-Twin power cruisers and performance tourers. Dedicated to Custom, Cruiser, and Heavy Touring motorcycles, this new-generation tire optimizes performance with better handling and support on leans, to increase your confidence with your bike and provide a better response, even in wet conditions.

The ME 888 Marathon™ Ultra tire delivers increased mileage, at the same time offering good performance in the wet with better traction in adverse weather conditions. It is a reliable, balanced tire ideal for Cruiser, Custom, and Tourer road motorcycles. To enhance the look of classic motorcycles, Metzler has also created ME 888 Marathon™ White Wall tires, which have a vintage and retro design.

EDIT:
I looked it’s properly rated. 84V so like 1200lbs and 150MPH
Load rating on both is 79, for 900 - 1000 pounds.

· Registered
15 Posts
Maybe the Cuisetec is "new". From the Metzeler website:

The Metzeler Cruisetec™ is an ideal road tire for improved performance on V-Twin power cruisers and performance tourers. Dedicated to Custom, Cruiser, and Heavy Touring motorcycles, this new-generation tire optimizes performance with better handling and support on leans, to increase your confidence with your bike and provide a better response, even in wet conditions.

The ME 888 Marathon™ Ultra tire delivers increased mileage, at the same time offering good performance in the wet with better traction in adverse weather conditions. It is a reliable, balanced tire ideal for Cruiser, Custom, and Tourer road motorcycles. To enhance the look of classic motorcycles, Metzler has also created ME 888 Marathon™ White Wall tires, which have a vintage and retro design.

EDIT:

Load rating on both is 79, for 900 - 1000 pounds.
I might be reading the rating wrong but the rear 260 cruisetec on their site shows: 84V but I see the front 160 does show 70v.

· Administrator
6,058 Posts
I might be reading the rating wrong but the rear 260 cruisetec on their site shows: 84V but I see the front 160 does show 70v.
84V and 70V are speed ratings.
79 is the load rating
Regardless, the specs are identical. The 888 was an "improved" 880. It seems that Metzeler feels the 888 is more "balanced" and is "higher mileage", while the Cuisetec is aimed more toward the performance side. What's odd is that when using the Metzeler site search by motorcycle, only the Marathon 888 is listed.
I expect that we'll be seeing more of the Cuisetec unless it costs considerably more.

· Registered
15 Posts
84V and 70V are speed ratings.
79 is the load rating
Regardless, the specs are identical. The 888 was an "improved" 880. It seems that Metzeler feels the 888 is more "balanced" and is "higher mileage", while the Cuisetec is aimed more toward the performance side. What's odd is that when using the Metzeler site search by motorcycle, only the Marathon 888 is listed.
I expect that we'll be seeing more of the Cuisetec unless it costs considerably more.
I’m actually not seeing that and from googling it appears the number before the letter is the load rating.

V is the speed rating, the 84 is the load rating.
I’m not seeing anywhere they show the “79” for a load rating.

From Michelin: “This code, when present, appears after the size marking. The code comprises three characters: two numbers and a letter, for example, 67H. The two-digit number is a code for the maximum load carrying capacity of the tire. The letter is a maximum speed rating indicating the maximum speed at which the tire may be used with maximum load when the maximum listed inflation pressure is used.”

· Administrator
6,058 Posts
I’m actually not seeing that and from googling it appears the number before the letter is the load rating.

V is the speed rating, the 84 is the load rating.
I’m not seeing anywhere they show the “79” for a load rating.

From Michelin: “This code, when present, appears after the size marking. The code comprises three characters: two numbers and a letter, for example, 67H. The two-digit number is a code for the maximum load carrying capacity of the tire. The letter is a maximum speed rating indicating the maximum speed at which the tire may be used with maximum load when the maximum listed inflation pressure is used.”
I cannot find where I saw that, and you appear to be correct.

· Registered
225 Posts
Ah well I’d rather go for performance than longevity anyways my riding season is only a few months long in northern canada 😆
I think you will get both with the Cruistecs. Currently at 11,000 with my rears and easily 3000-5000km remaining. As mentioned before, that is with quite a few burnouts at the dragstrip. The tire is quite round still as well, likely due to the dual compound.

I am also in northern Canada (Edmonton) but I still ride between March and early November.

· Registered
15 Posts
I think you will get both with the Cruistecs. Currently at 11,000 with my rears and easily 3000-5000km remaining. As mentioned before, that is with quite a few burnouts at the dragstrip. The tire is quite round still as well, likely due to the dual compound.

I am also in northern Canada (Edmonton) but I still ride between March and early November.
Awesome! I’m up in the country but closest towns are fort St. John and Dawson creek.
Ya def gonna go with the cruisetecs I think they seem to be a straight upgrade from the 888s from what I’ve been able to glean

1 - 20 of 24 Posts