M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the only difference for the '07 model was going to be different colors and replacing plastic parts with metal ones. Are they replacing all the plastic parts, or just some of them? Which ones? The plastic parts were really my only turn-off with this bike. I hope they replace them all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sport cruiser = bring on the plastic and keep the weight down

I hear ya though, lots of folks are turned off by plastic but I'm not.

·
Registered
158 Posts
:dontknow: this bike is already heavy, and the plastic is cheap to replace :bigthumbsup: or to get spares for :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

I really like the plastic bike, leave the metal for the Harley's :evil: I like to beat them on the strip, and I know that if I fall the cost will be about 1,000 to replace everything there cost for the same damage ..... dang it hurts just to think about it, I'd never go over the speed limit or do anything crazy with that cost :evil:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ppridgen1 said:
the only ones replaced are the spark pug covers and the two on the tranny side ......thus adding 7 more pounds and you can't tell the difference unless you thump them or if the 7lb lighter 06 is pulling away from you slightly due to the weight advantage
The covers alone are actually responsible for a 7 LB weight gain? Are they made of cast iron?

·
Registered
696 Posts
grampi said:
The covers alone are actually responsible for a 7 LB weight gain? Are they made of cast iron?
i have yet to install this...but.. i got the m109r chrome eng side cover... just put it on the scale for grins..... it weighs 13.5 oz...mjm

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aceventura said:
i have yet to install this...but.. i got the m109r chrome eng side cover... just put it on the scale for grins..... it weighs 13.5 oz...mjm
That's why I asked the question. I highly doubt there's a 7 lb difference in weight between the plastic and metal covers.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i don't know; when i had my service done, they took the top covers off to show me a few things. i held them while they talked, and they seemed kinda heavy. i could see the old plastic ones being a good bit lighter.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
itsthatfast said:
I think they also enlarged the gas tank on the '07 model.
Only the Californa models have the smaller tank, the other 49 state bikes have the 5.2 gallon tank.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bonehead said:
Only the Californa models have the smaller tank, the other 49 state bikes have the 5.2 gallon tank.
I don't think it's their tanks that are smaller, I think their gallons are bigger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
walker said:
why does cali. have a smaller tank?
There's a dumass metal ring about an inch long inside the filler hole that (sort of) prevents you from putting more than 4.7 (or so) gallons into the 5.2 gallon tank, but mostly helps with splashing gas out of the tank and onto the speedo trim. From what I know, its to provide a space for vapors so that the evap cannister won't suck gas if you fill the tank up.

However... I once managed to get the FI light and the bike refused to run for a few minutes after I filled my Cali tank up to the bottom of the ring (like the dealer warned me about). Truly a CRAP idea...  :edit:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
walker said:
why does cali. have a smaller tank?
Its because of the EVAPO system (charcoal canister and related parts ) that are under the tanks on the California models ,that the 49 state bikes don't have ;) ................. got to love those California emission controls ::)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts