M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man what a great day. :D Took off for Maggie Valley this morning by myself and hoped to hookup with some 109 guys but not a 9 in site all day.

My first stop was Maggie Valley at the Wheels trough Time. I didn't plan on going in as I've been through there many times before but I thought I might find a 9 there. No luck but I did fine the bike they built on that TV show BIG. It was a joke but the workmanship was really pretty good I must say. Hungout there for a while and then took off for Deals Gap (about 70 miles) to see if I could have some fun. I picked a bad day to hit the Gap :verymad: there were tons of guys that shouldn't be on a bike let alone the twisties. I saw guys dropping there bikes just trying to pull out and twice I got behind guys that were going to get themself killed by running off the road. I pulled over three times to try and give myself some space to play but the bikes were pretty much non stop. That's fine but I tend to go to sleep when I get behind a real slow group for very long and I didn't want to try and pass with all the traffic. I guess today was a test to see if I could ride slow. :eek:

Hungout at the store for awhile and ran into a few folks I knew and then I headed back down the Dragon and hungout at the Dam for awhile and ran into a few more folks I knew. Took off down the hill and hungout and another little biker shop to see if I would see another 9 but still no sign of one. I'm talking every kind of bike you can think of was out today in mass but I didn't see one 109. I guess that's kinda cool really. :doorag:

Decided to head back home and about 3 or 4 miles before my turn I saw this headlight gaining on me. I whipped it up a bit and he was still there, I let him get close and then I whacked it and he was still there. :eek: Now I'm thinking what the heck is that :dontknow: then I took a good look at the headlight and saw it was a 109 :bigthumbsup: :doorag: He caught up to me at the gas station and low and behold it was Jazzman from Atlanta :D Now what's the chance that he would find me out of all those bikes and all those roads just at that time? :D

We shook hands and went and had dinner together and had a great time. He's got a long ride back and most likely won't be home till 11:30 or so but I'm sure glad we were able to hookup. Real nice guy and his bike looks great. :doorag:

Check in when you get home Bro . :doorag:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have ridden with the Jazzman several times. It's always a blast!
He and I will be riding to the BBQ together.

It;s always a blast to ride with another 109.

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'm back. I beat the clock and quite a few speed limits. I can't believe we actually ran into each other. It was great meeting you and I'll see you at the BBQ this coming Friday.

I have a few pix to post once I can get things organized here. Ok. Got them ready now.

Deals Gap was like a freekin Harley convention today. I had hoped they would all be over at the shindig in Maggie Valley.

More of the HD crowd.

Here's the kids bike making the joint look a little better!

The Tree of Shame!

I had a decent run up the Dragon going until I ran up on these site see-ers about two miles in. They were going so slow I actually shot pictures the whole rest of the way.

I took this one mid curve. Man were they slow. NOTE WHAT HIS TAG SAYS - "FNHAWG."

Then the day got a lot better cause I ran into this fella. Sharp dresser!

Unfortunately, I'm in this picture. Nice bikes though!

So why are these two dudes looking so puzzled. They are wondering how they ran all the way from the lake down to Deals Gap with a 109 dogging their rear all the way. Granted, I'm positive the guy on the 1000cc GX (the taller guy) was holding up some for his buddy (the shorter guy). When we pulled in they both came up to me and said, "man you were really moving for a cruiser." The shorter guy told me he was running as hard as he could possibly go. His buddy could have walked off and left us - but they were running pretty hard and I felt pretty good about my run back down the Dragon. Although at one point I thought I broke my leg, but that's another story.

Thanks for the lunch Lamont! I'll get you back one day.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Also you've exposed me now by posting an actual picture of me as my Avatar. I was perfectly content letting everyone think I was Clifford Brown (dead since 1956), the greatest Jazz trumpeter of all time, and now you've revealed me for the old, short, fat guy that I am!!!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Looks great. I wish I could have run up with you Jazz. Did you go to the wheels through time with Lamont?

On another note, all? my mods are done except the mirror extensions (have not showed up yet)

Air ( might need to use the 90 degree elbows like you though) But they are hard mounted and done!
grips
exhaust ( cant wait to hear the difference between ours now)
PCIII ( will load the JR map Tomorrow... see the link about 1/8 mile times)
GPS
toolbag
Bungee nuts
Tank bag

In all that I have done I just realized that I never bought any rain gear!!

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I knew I wouldn't have time to get to Maggie Valley and Deals Gap in one day up from Atlanta. So I chose the Gap. I figured you must still be working on your bike. What'd ya get a bonus? Man that's a lot of stuff all at once. What did you do with your exhaust since I last saw it?

Just a few more days and we'll be heading up to the BBQ.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
It wasnt me, it was you.
You mentione that you drilled out the third baffle after you left here...

Yeah the bonus hit, plus we get hit with alot of anual bills April-July....
Then finally school started in August (both kids now) so I am saving 1200 a month in childcare type payments...

Sooooo Daddy wenht shopping!

I still need to decide/list what I hope to buy when we get up there...
I will still have the broken signal!!!! (embarrassing!!) when we ride up.

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
sledzep01 said:
It wasnt me, it was you.
You mentione that you drilled out the third baffle after you left here...

Yeah the bonus hit, plus we get hit with alot of anual bills April-July....
Then finally school started in August (both kids now) so I am saving 1200 a month in childcare type payments...

Sooooo Daddy wenht shopping!

I still need to decide/list what I hope to buy when we get up there...
I will still have the broken signal!!!! (embarrassing!!) when we ride up.

Sledzep
Gotta fix that signal man. ;~)

I don't know if you read all the text under my pics above. I mentioned I almost broke my leg. I was pushing by far the hardest I have ever ridden keeping up with those sport bikes on the Dragon. Around one sharp left curve I dug my mount bracket for the foot peg in and it grabbed hard. Pulled the rear of the bike around and my foot got caught under for a moment and twisted around. Fortunately I righted the thing and slowed for just a moment wondering if I had just broken my leg. Everything still moved so I just twisted the grip a little harder and got back in line with the two sport bikes (ok, I guess only one was really a sport bike). You know how hard we were running up north of Suches? I was pushing a lot harder than that today at the Dragon, and it almost bit me.

Forgot to mention. It's 1am and my ankle is swelling!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
whats the chances? im still yet to see another 109, let alone a a fellow member. :bigthumbsup:

ps - the suzuki jacket looks good on you lamont. cant wait to get mine. i may be the last one to get it.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
bad109 said:
whats the chances? im still yet to see another 109, let alone a a fellow member. :bigthumbsup:

ps - the suzuki jacket looks good on you lamont. cant wait to get mine. i may be the last one to get it.
"Whats the chances" you can leave your house at 10am and ride two states away on just the comment from Lamont that he will be out riding today, and actually run into him on the road. Aint life strange!

Speaking of Lamont. He's a heck of a guy. When we were splitting up and I mentioned it would be cold by the time I got back to Atlanta, he actually offerred his jacket to me. People been waiting for these jackets for months and he's just going to loan me his to ride back to Atlanta in. Great offer. Fortunately I had some stuff in my tank bag to get me by .... but it was cold going over Brasstown Bald at 9:30pm tonight. I also found out it's very strange running a hot road like GA Hwy 19 in pitch dark by yourself. A very strange sensation.

·
Registered
629 Posts
:bigthumbsup: WOW, those are some great experiences. and great rides. making me jealous. Thanks for sharing. Oh ya almost forgot, Hope your ankle gets heals quick.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you made it homw safe Bro. :bigthumbsup: We will have to hookupp again sometime, maybe have a meet and greet at Maggie Valley when there arn't so many Harleys. :doorag:

Hey that picture with the white bagger, I'm pretty sure that was one of the groups of riders I got stuck behind. :realmad:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Lamonster said:
Glad you made it homw safe Bro. :bigthumbsup: We will have to hookupp again sometime, maybe have a meet and greet at Maggie Valley when there arn't so many Harleys. :doorag:

Hey that picture with the white bagger, I'm pretty sure that was one of the groups of riders I got stuck behind. :realmad:
Isnt there some law that states after X amount of time at X speed you are allowed to treat slow @$$ moving Harley's like traffic cones??
Just weave in and out :bigthumbsup:

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Heh heh heh.

We'll ride again some time. Got to, I owe you lunch.

It's another beautiful day here. Don't think I have it in me for another 12 hr day like yesterday. Will probably find an adapter and put some K&N filters on my intakes just for giggles today. Although I'm sure my wife will counter with mow the yard.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Animal said:
:bigthumbsup: WOW, those are some great experiences. and great rides. making me jealous. Thanks for sharing. Oh ya almost forgot, Hope your ankle gets heals quick.
Thanks Bro. I'm walkin this morning, but a might gingerly. Tweaked some cartlidge I guess.

I told myself that I was going to have a leisurely (and safe) run back down the Dragon. Then right as we passed the lake and hit the twisties, these two guys passed me. You know how that goes, I had the 09 reputation at stake here. I knew there was no way I could beat them on the Dragon, but I had to show them the 09 was no ordinary cruiser. As it turns out, and in spite of almost breaking my ankle, I was right behind them when they pulled into the Gap Store. The difference was they looked pretty good running down and I was all over the place. Just running flat out as hard as I should ever go on my bike (too hard actually). But it worked. As soon as we parked they both came over to me to see the bike and tell me it was some fast cruiser.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Jazzman your not the only short ,old ,fat guy around it looks like you might be follicle challenged though. glad to hear you met up with another 109. It,s rides like this that make motorcycling fun. Hope you have many more rides like that. It really comes together when you ride with a guy that has the same bike as you. The other weekend I was in a toy run with that chick from Cdn. Biker Television just me and 110 Harley's. When we stopped they would come over in 2-3,s to ask questions about my ride I was so busy answering questions I just about missed the BBQ put on by the Fareview HD Mechanics Course at the collage there I guess that is the reason for all the HD,s on the ride Oh BTW The episode should air on Global on a Saturday in October if I get pictures I will post them. The ride started in Grande Prairie and went north on HWY 2 to Fareview AB.:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :hot: :hot:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts