M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last week I shortened a set of pipes for an M90 rider. The bike sounded awesome. Nice deep throaty sound to it. It did not have that tinny raspy sound to it like my bike does with the scorpion tips. Now just for the info I have installed a few shortened exhaust with stock tips and scorpions with the set valve disabled and tacked it open. Those bikes sound really good but extremely loud .I like to sneak into the neighborhood at night and not wake any one up if possible.

Well I cut the black wire with the brown tracer on the computer to disable the valve then I cut the power wire to the motor and connected a DPDT center off mini toggle switch with the polarity reversed on one side. I can now open or close the set valve manually when I want.

What a difference in sound. Sadly it's been colder than normal the last few days and I have not had a chance to ride the bike but this may be a worth while noise mod or anti noise mod how ever you look at it. I'll test it for a few days and see how I like it. If anybody is interested in a how to I will post one after I finish testing it.

Very simple mod.

BTW. Happy New Year every body!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I still have the stock pipes, so i just pulled mine out by the roots and cut the brown wire. The exhaust sounds better because the valve stays open--more noticable at idle and slow speeds.
With your pipes, that switch should come in handy--good plan. I need something like that on my GTO.
dw

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Just a thought. You might not want to leave that shut when going down the road---things will get quite hot. You would be restricting the flow alot. That actuator normally floats between open/close depending on the throttle position/computer. The only time it is fully closed is when the engine is not running. So, I know you have thought this out, so how do you plan on using this? Just curious if there might be a reasonable application.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
does the SET vavle complelty block the Pipe or is it more of just a Restriction ?
I always Thought it was like older Cars with Heat risers in the Manifold:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
does the SET vavle complelty block the Pipe or is it more of just a Restriction ?
I always Thought it was like older Cars with Heat risers in the Manifold:dontknow:
When you start the bike it cycles from fully closed to fully open, then back to 30% open. From there the ECU manages it to open whatever amount it deems necessary. At full throttle it's fully open. Probably under most situations it's more opened than closed. I doubt it's ever fully closed except when calibrating.

I read where the newer models cycle it to fully open at idle. I know it does make a difference in sound with it open or partially closed at idle, I left mine in for one of my home made exhausts and played around with how it sounded. I had no cats in it, but with the SET fully open it was louder.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FutureR the only time I am going to to run it more to the closed side is when I make my turn into the neighborhood at night.Otherwise it's wide open :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
FutureR the only time I am going to to run it more to the closed side is when I make my turn into the neighborhood at night.Otherwise it's wide open :bigthumbsup:
Good deal, that there is a real world application that alot of members have to deal with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts