M109 Riders banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was 1 piece of mesh. I cut the bottom piece out separately from the single piece to attach it.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
It looks great BP, and you should have no problems with it holding up. Both of my 9s have the diamond cut mesh installed just like yours. The mesh on my 07’ has been installed since 2011, and it still looks and holds just as good today as it did 8 years ago.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks great! Love that look and you have a one-piece too! Very nice.
It's on my own future mods list also!
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I overpaid for the mesh, but I wanted black in a piece big enough to cover the opening. I actually have enough left over to do it again. Figured I would hold onto that in the event this one gets messed up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks great! :bigthumbsup:

Just curious, did you glue it all the way around, or can you still split it at the top to install it on the bike?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Looks great! :bigthumbsup:

Just curious, did you glue it all the way around, or can you still split it at the top to install it on the bike?
I have the same question cause I have a mesh piece and I have been wanting to do the same but was concerned about how to do it cause the two pieces won't be able to come apart.I would also like to see the back any chance of a pic.I will appreciate any info

·
Registered
16,258 Posts
Turned out nice brother!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I have the same question cause I have a mesh piece and I have been wanting to do the same but was concerned about how to do it cause the two pieces won't be able to come apart.I would also like to see the back any chance of a pic.I will appreciate any info
K109, you're right, the two pieces will become one, unless and until you have a need to separate them. You should/can use silicone to adhere the mesh to the inside of the open radiator space...and I recommend using it all around the entire inside of the surface where the mesh is wrapped/bent to lay against the inside of the radiator shroud. First, you'll need to remove the radiator shroud, and keep it assembled as if it were on the bike. Then, make yourself a template of the open space. Lay the template on top of your mesh (use some tape to hold the template in place on the mesh), and cut your mesh 1" around the outside edge of your template, so you'll have enough mesh to bend over the inside edge of the entire radiator shroud opening. You'll want to bend the mesh so it's as close to the inside of the radiator shroud as possible, so the silicone can bond the two together. When I did mine, I first placed a spot of silicone on the top, bottom, and both sides, and let it cure a bit to hold the mesh in place. Then, the next day I placed silicone around the entire inside surface, to insure the mesh would never move. It's important to take your time, and try to avoid getting silicone on any part of the mesh or your radiator shroud that would be unsightly when it's all done and mounted on the bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what he said, lol

In hind sight I wish I used silicone. I used a glue that dries "rubbery" and is a little flexible. Im sure I can get it off if need be, but not as easily as silicone.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So the obvious question for k109 and me is.. can the shroud be (easily?) taken off the bike/re-installed on the bike when it’s one piece? I’ve not yet tried it but I highly doubt I would be able to do that with the bike on the ground. Might be able to do it with the bike high enough on a jack. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts