M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to correct it. Diagnosed with a pinched nerve in my neck that causes my hands to get numb after 20 minutes or so of riding. Getting really annoying and tired of shaking my hands to get the feeling back! Anyone else out there that has had to deal with this? It's been a real buzz killer!

G

·
Wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to correct it. Diagnosed with a pinched nerve in my neck that causes my hands to get numb after 20 minutes or so of riding. Getting really annoying and tired of shaking my hands to get the feeling back! Anyone else out there that has had to deal with this? It's been a real buzz killer!
Neck and back problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat. Get ten people together with the same symptoms, and you'll hear ten different stories about what was done, what worked, and what didn't work. Unfortunately, it's usually a case of "Let's try this and see if it helps you". Could be meds, physical therapy, etc, etc. Good luck...feel better.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
getting LA:edit:ID by a couple hot asian women works for me .....

seriously however there is little you can do besides some massage therapy . I get the same issue due to sitting on a computer and typing all day.... go see a massage therapist , your health care plan may cover it ... that is if you have a plan.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Have you thought about acupuncture ?

I have only tried it once when a nerve in my back was getting pinched by my ribs after a session with a useless physical therapist.....I couldn't sleep after that session.....so I thought WTF the Chinese have been using it for 1000's of years.....I'll try that.

Went and got stuck twice....that did the trick....wouldn't hesitate to do it again.....good luck :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have the same problem weather riding a bike, driving a car or operating equipment, after a short time I have sharp pain in the neck (no pun) and all extremities getting num and tingling, just living with it for now but i'm sure I will have to do something for it in the future, good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Neck and back problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat. Get ten people together with the same symptoms, and you'll hear ten different stories about what was done, what worked, and what didn't work..:bigthumbsup:
:agree:
I agree 100% anything from a pinched nerve to muscle strain caused from weight of helmet and wind torque on head at high speed or long distance rides either way this is not a Medical Diagnosis or a treatment plan but maybe a Windscreen may help, also a different set of risers may offset the angle on the nerves.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'd see a chiropractor. Worked for me.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Stay hydrated (water).
Take MSM (methysulfonylmethane) in higher doses to hydrate
Omega3
STRETCH!!!!!
Lean the neck to left for 20 seconds the to right. About 10-20 times

Hellerwork(Rolfing) message $chaa ching$$

·
Registered
461 Posts
I haven't had the pain in the neck (except for work), but I have had sciatica shooting down the back of my leg. I went to a chiropractor and it helped a lot! That, stretching, and excercise is the best remedy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently had compressed disks in my lower back which would drop me to the floor when the pain came, but I went to a place for spinal decompression. There they set me up with therapy and set me on a machine which strapped around my waist and gently pulled on my lower body to stretch the spine. They did have a lot of neck injuries there as well pinched nerves and such and they hooked them up by the head (not that head for all the dirty minded..LOL):evil: which gently pulled on it as well. Check out any spinal decompression therapy place around where you live. The only thing was that it cost me $1,000 out of pocket after insurance.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have exactly the same problem and was diagnosed blood circulation problems and started taking medication.... It is bothersome though getting the hands numb....
Will check the pinched nerve angle though.....Have been on a diet and taking the aspirins and some other stuff every day....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whew!! Thought I was just a problem child and a lil punk... i was like "why in the heck do my hands keep going numb!!" a few different things worked a few times like hand position and some other things, but i still haven't gotten rid of it 100% completely yet... :dontknow: at least I know I'm not the only one. You know misery loves company.. :-\

·
Registered
46 Posts
joeb429

go to a good chiropractor...should be able to fix you in a few treatments! i see this all the time in my office! you have pressure on the nerves between your shoulder blades....usually the cause is t3 to t6 of the thoracic spine!!! this fixes the numbness an tingling in the hands...
:bigthumbsup: dr, joe...chiropractor and an m109r owner!!!:drool:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
Same thing here for the chiropractor. They can do some amazing things with acupuncture and some exercise techniques.

A long time ago I had a pretty serious car accident. I pinched some nerves in my back and had constant shooting leg pains. The pains would hit so quickly I would involuntarily kick my foot out. Kind of embarrassing sitting in a meeting and almost kicking the table over. I went to a orthopedic surgeon for months and all they did was give me pain pills and muscle relaxers.

On the advice of a friend I went to a chiropractor. One session with acupuncture and no more pain. They also showed me some exercises to do to keep my back flexible and I still do those.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First post on this great site. I have had similar numbness on my right arm while riding maube 10 minutes into the ride, here's what I have done: I installed iso grips to cushion the grip and I make an effort to not grip the handle bars too tight, just relax and enjoy the ride. I also installed the throtle boss whichallows you to strech your fingers while you still control the throtle, and last I just purchased the breakaway throtle control which is the safest cruise control you can buy for your 9, in my opinion. All these actions have helped me to enjoy my 9 with limited to no numbness and was able to do my research right here in this very informative site. Hope this helps and thank you guys for all your help I will be making an effort to reply to more discussions......

·
Registered
426 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts