M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Metzeler ME888's for almost a year and a half and I've put about 4500 miles on them. The rear has started looking like it's gonna need replacing soon. I was wondering if you guys thought that seems a bit early to be replacing it? Granted I'm 6'5" and ~290lbs, and the roads around here aren't the smoothest, I just wanted some opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 M109R BOSS
220 Posts
the michelin scorcher is what I run I mine. super sticky. bout 3k miles on mine and it still looks new. it does say harley davidson on the sidewall. but you can't see it unless you get up super close. biggest size it comes in is the stock 240. but i love it
Tire Sports gear Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Four years ago, I had a 888 in 280 put on my 10 inch rim. Had around 30,000 miles on it at the time. Still on there at almost 40,000. Oddly, the right side of the tire looks great. The left side, half the tire looks great, the other half, tread is almost gone. Must be a manufacturing defect, tread depth not even across the entire tire. I'm going to ride it out though. It's only one small half of one side, and I don't ride in the rain. The front 888 in 140, is still doing awesome. So, as usual, two rears for every one front. My B-King does the same thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
30,000?! I can't seem to get more than 6,000 out of any of the rear tires I've had so far. I've only read about that kind of mileage going darkside, which I'm considering too lol

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,716 Posts
If I get more than about 6,000 miles out of any rear tire that I've ran, I consider it good wear. I usually change tires in the fall, so some may have had another 1,000 or so miles left in them. The Dunlop 250 E3's got the most of any that I've used and they would get close to 8,000 out of the rear.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I think he means he fitted the new 888 tyre when the bike had 30k miles on it....and it now has 40k miles....so methinks 10k miles on the tyre..;)

Smithy.
Correct. I don't even think guys who go to the dark side get 30,000 miles out of a tire. LOL!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have a Shinko on the back, it wont make it to 1800 miles. You get what you pay for. I have a Scorcher to go on next.
I've got a brand new Shinko that was given to me , I'm not a fan of cheap rubber , but it was free and it's not like I'm putting it on my sportbike. Once my Dunlop Qualifier wears out I'll put it on the 9. It looks like Dunlop dropped the 240/40 qualifier , so I'll go to the Scorcher.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think he means he fitted the new 888 tyre when the bike had 30k miles on it....and it now has 40k miles....so methinks 10k miles on the tyre..;)

Smithy.
Correct. I don't even think guys who go to the dark side get 30,000 miles out of a tire. LOL!!
My bad. I misread it lol. Still, 10k is good. But it seems like I'm in the ballpark, according to the other replies. The outsides seem to be a bit more worn than the center, so I'll try to eek another few hundred miles on it. As I said, though, I'm a big guy and the roads here are rough, so I won't push it too much. The front is still great. I replaced it with the 888 when I did the back, just so they'd match, but the front 880 still had a good amount of life left with over 10k miles on it.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Unlike the Dunlop Elite III 250 I used to run, I am able to get wear on my 280 888 all the way to the unction where the sidewall and tread meet. Couldn't do that with the 250, too much stuff dragged preventing me from leaning further. But, I do run my rear shock on the numero uno setting, which lets it settle noticeably compared to another M109R a friend rides that is still set on number four. And I spend a lot of time riding around a local lake, which has a 15 mile road that can practically be ridden like a race course, round-and-round, as many times as you like. My bad mistake was riding around it only counter-clockwise for three years, many times. And that means the left turns are either more numerous or longer. So the left side is worn down noticeably more than the right. I'm now spending most of my rides avoiding left turns as much as I can, to get the right side to match the left. Next tire, I'll alternate going around that lake, by going cw once, then ccw the next time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just read an article about Metzeler's new Cruisetec tires and that they're built to outperform the me888's. Has anyone here run them or had experience with them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have no idea how many miles are on mine but I think it wore funny. The center and the edges seem to have less wear, like a w shape if you were looking at the top of it. Rear tire, front had a little cupping but not bad

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up just ordering another me888, since that's what I have on front. I'd still be interested in people's thoughts on the Cruisetec tires tho.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
9,018 Posts
Avon tires for the win! (My personal preference.) Great wear, dual compound excellent handling. A bit more expensive than lesser tires, however.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
9,018 Posts
Reactions: Zoom and cbxer55
1 - 20 of 24 Posts