M109 Riders banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the driveshaft from '08 M109R (3rd owner), cleaned and greased it (just a small amount of liquified grease was present upon disassembly) and have made several attempts at Lamonster's method of removing the secondary drive in order to reconnect the drivetrain before reinstalling the secondary. I am nowhere near getting the secondary to slide onto the universal's splines as precursor to swinging the secondary into final position and bolting it back up. I have just 1 acorn nut holding the hub assembly in place (by a few threads) so I have a 1/4-3/8" gap there but I still lack adequate space for the secondary to line up with the universal joint and swing into final position. I'm hoping somebody can chime in with any additional pointers/methods?
Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I did mine I left the back end alone. I had to replace the bearing and seal so taking off the secondary was the reason I took it apart. I only had to take a thin screwdriver to hold up the driveshaft while sliding the secondary on. I did eyeball the splines at first. I did have someone there to slowly rock the tire back and forth but it slid right together within a couple minutes.

·
Radio Active Member
22,535 Posts
I did mine similar to UVATom. I slid it in and made sure it was fully engaged on the final drive, then pulled it back out slightly. I then took a long thin screwdriver and put it down through the opening on the universal joint, towards the rear of it, so it wouldn't slide back in and also to angle it out so the secondary drive could engage it. Once they were mated up I pulled the screwdriver out and rotated the secondary into position.

A long thin rod would work better than a screwdriver, as the screwdriver handle tended to hold the universal joint out further than it needed to be. The further out it is the more likely it is to pull off the final drive.

Edit:
Something that bears mentioning. You need to be able to rotate the universal joint so that when you drop the screwdriver or rod through it, it angles out in the right direction. So make sure you can rotate the rear wheel to do this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts