M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the last month, I have met 3 separate riders of CRUISERS all in the DC/Southern MD/NoVA area and after seeing my Shayne's sidemount, the told me that they have gotten tickets ranging from $100 to $250 for a vertical side mounted plate... the charge or infraction was the same... I don't recall the specific language, but it was along the lines of "intent to obscure" the visibility of the License plate.

Maryland Vehicle Law subsection 13--411 states the following:

§ 13-411.

(a) On a vehicle for which two registration plates are required, one plate shall be attached on the front and the other on the rear of the vehicle.

(b) On a vehicle for which one registration plate is required, the plate shall be attached on the:

(1) Front of the vehicle for a Class F (tractor) vehicle; and

(2) Rear of the vehicle for every other vehicle.

(c) At all times, each registration plate shall be:

(1) Maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in § 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:

(i) In a horizontal position;

(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and

(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.

Having this as the basis, I'm thinking side mount is NOT OK in this area because it is not in the rear of the bike AND if you go vertical, then you have 2 infractions...

Seems that local LEO's :cop: and PD Officers are being sticklers...

For what it's worth, I have heard the scuttle that this is usually an issue for the sport bikers that will have the flip up brackets to hide their tags as they're zooming through camera enforced red lights and they'll also flip it up to hide their plates from the cars they zip by doing 100+ on the freeway... but USUALLY LEO's let cruisers get away with it... doesn't seem to be the case lately...

Anyone else have a similar story to share?

Just putting the word out there. Mod at your own risk... I'll be getting rid of my Shayne's side mount for a more compliant product within the next week or so i anyone is interested... I just don't like giving them a reason to pull me over... because THEN they'll also hit me up for having removed the reflectors!!!

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I can tell you that they will get you out of a speed camera ticket. Everyone got one but the person with the side mount plate. So that is a $40 savings right there. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the info but I am still getting a Shayne mount.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
this is comining from the trooper barrack on penn ave when i went and asked about the plate. the sgt at the desk said they usually don't bother the cruisers but it at the officers discretion. most of their problems come with the sport bikes. now my friend of 15 yrs who is a MD trooper said if your riding like a human being he wont bother you but if your stupid he will get stupid also. my PG county friend says pretty much the same thing. but they all say the sport bikers are the biggest concerns to them because they pose the biggest danger with some of their riding styles.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also add that the guys that got the tickets weren't pulled over... they were cited while parked... like at a gathering or in a parking lot... similar to the recent crack down on bikes at National harbor... (see 2nd paragraph). So this isn't something that they'll flash the Blue Lights on ya for going down the road, but if a cop sees it and sees something else (maybe) then you might have an issue.

Regarding National Harbor... they DO have Police presence there a lot which is no big deal - it's a tourist destination and folks spend big bucks to stay out there... last summer, it was a common occurrence for bikers to go to just hang out... we'd park 4 or 5 bikes in a parallel parking spot and as long as we kept the meter fed for that spot, we were fine... NOW... there are signs that say One Motorcycle Per Parking Space"and once you're parked, the LEO's will do an inspection and cite you for infractions... one of the guys I mentioned above got cited this way as well as a citation for not having reflectors...

Just putting it out there so folks are informed...

I agree with JMAKAMN that the vertical sidemount thing will most likely be a judgement call by the LEO that you get on any given day... Sport Bikes are the main interest for infractions... usually a younger crowd that is more prone to try to get away with whatever they can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Side Mount

Good Summary Phat Bak. After reading this and our discussion yesterday I may opt for standard rear mount (currently I have the side mount). I generally just cruise around without being too stupid but sometimes the urge to redline becomes too strong:dontknow:. I would just not want to give the cops another reason to pull me over or pile on with a couple more tickets!

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great post, I'm looking to move my license plate now that I've upgraded the passenger seat.

In the last month, I have met 3 separate riders of CRUISERS all in the DC/Southern MD/NoVA area and after seeing my Shayne's sidemount, the told me that they have gotten tickets ranging from $100 to $250 for a vertical side mounted plate... the charge or infraction was the same... I don't recall the specific language, but it was along the lines of "intent to obscure" the visibility of the License plate.

Maryland Vehicle Law subsection 13--411 states the following:

§ 13-411.

(a) On a vehicle for which two registration plates are required, one plate shall be attached on the front and the other on the rear of the vehicle.

(b) On a vehicle for which one registration plate is required, the plate shall be attached on the:

(1) Front of the vehicle for a Class F (tractor) vehicle; and

(2) Rear of the vehicle for every other vehicle.

(c) At all times, each registration plate shall be:

(1) Maintained free from foreign materials, including registration plate covers as defined in § 13-411.1 of this subtitle, and in a condition to be clearly legible; and

(2) Securely fastened to the vehicle for which it is issued:

(i) In a horizontal position;

(ii) In a manner that prevents the plate from swinging; and

(iii) In a place and position to be clearly visible.

Having this as the basis, I'm thinking side mount is NOT OK in this area because it is not in the rear of the bike AND if you go vertical, then you have 2 infractions...

Seems that local LEO's :cop: and PD Officers are being sticklers...

For what it's worth, I have heard the scuttle that this is usually an issue for the sport bikers that will have the flip up brackets to hide their tags as they're zooming through camera enforced red lights and they'll also flip it up to hide their plates from the cars they zip by doing 100+ on the freeway... but USUALLY LEO's let cruisers get away with it... doesn't seem to be the case lately...

Anyone else have a similar story to share?

Just putting the word out there. Mod at your own risk... I'll be getting rid of my Shayne's side mount for a more compliant product within the next week or so i anyone is interested... I just don't like giving them a reason to pull me over... because THEN they'll also hit me up for having removed the reflectors!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts