M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Grrr. Accidents of this nature are just too costly. So if there is a lesson in all this is it to be vigilant at all times, even when stopped? Use our mirrors to gauge the cars behind us and their potential to stop or avoid us? Could you even escape from somthing like this? Even at a full stop when we hear sirens, immediately pull to the side of the road?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To my knowlege it is not a code 1 responce to serve a warrant. So why he would be speeding with red lights and siren is not clear. When stopped at a light you are NOT required to move out of the way. In fact it is preffered that you stay where you are unless the emergency vehicle comes up behind and uses their PA to ask you to clear a space.

The officer is clearly at fault here, in fact there is a case for negligent homicide and a civil suite for damages. All of that is in play here in Reno over an officer running down a bicyclist from behind while responding to a call.

·
Registered
232 Posts
To my knowlege it is not a code 1 responce to serve a warrant. So why he would be speeding with red lights and siren is not clear. When stopped at a light you are NOT required to move out of the way. In fact it is preffered that you stay where you are unless the emergency vehicle comes up behind and uses their PA to ask you to clear a space.

The officer is clearly at fault here, in fact there is a case for negligent homicide and a civil suite for damages. All of that is in play here in Reno over an officer running down a bicyclist from behind while responding to a call.
:agree:Not to bash the police in general but this guy was totally in the wrong. Sounds like the bikers were doing exactly what they were suppose to be doing in that situation. A prayer for their families. Ride safe. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:agree:Not to bash the police in general
No offense to you but I hate when people say that. They don't get bashed enough when they do wrong, that's why this guy will probably get a slap on the wrist, topped off with being on leave with pay while it is litigated! If it was you or I, fuggedaboutit.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
When I was younger, I worked at a firm that did civil defense for police districts.

One case was very much like this story.

Civilian was stopped at a light.

Cop came from behind light & sirens.

Civilian pulled to the shoulder to let the cop pass.

Cop had seen the stopped civilian and had planned to pass her in the shoulder.

Collision ensues.

Outcome: Civilian was at fault in the accident for moving into the cop's way.

Her insurance had to cover the cop car, that went into a ditch and a tree after striking her car, the medical bills of the cop, the cops lost salary and the extra cost of having other officers cover his shifts on overtime until he was back on the job.

I have rarely felt worse about winning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was younger, I worked at a firm that did civil defense for police districts.

One case was very much like this story.

Civilian was stopped at a light.

Cop came from behind light & sirens.

Civilian pulled to the shoulder to let the cop pass.

Cop had seen the stopped civilian and had planned to pass her in the shoulder.

Collision ensues.

Outcome: Civilian was at fault in the accident for moving into the cop's way.

Her insurance had to cover the cop car, that went into a ditch and a tree after striking her car, the medical bills of the cop, the cops lost salary and the extra cost of having other officers cover his shifts on overtime until he was back on the job.

I have rarely felt worse about winning.
May I just correct one thing? Anything but enlisted military is civilian. Cops are civilian law enforcement. There's even a federal statute that states it. I feel it is an insult when we get our boys in green lumped in with our bullies in blue.

·
Banned
408 Posts
I wonder what would happen if a married guy in his car was rushing to the hospital to see his dying wife and hit 3 off duty cops on bikes and killed one? This cop will walk, town will pay lawsuit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMPD police chief says he's not gonna face charges. See my comment on first post. He is lucky it was not my kin.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
May I just correct one thing? Anything but enlisted military is civilian. Cops are civilian law enforcement. There's even a federal statute that states it. I feel it is an insult when we get our boys in green lumped in with our bullies in blue.
No offense intended.

If it helps, the cop in my story was a former Marine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No offense intended.

If it helps, the cop in my story was a former Marine.
I just hate when cops banter it around. Makes them feel separate from us. More us vs them mentality. They really are thinking they're military since they do staff with a lot of former soldiers. They even have a quasi military structure. I think we need a ratio.

·
Registered
74 Posts

In Florida you are required to pull to the right shoulder of the road and yield to the emergency vehcile regardless of being at a red light or not. The condition of response varies by department. I've heard agencies respng lights and siren because of the time of day and distance that need to be covered. It's crazy.

The officer is clearly at fault here. The officer may have been responding to a call with his lights and siren on, but it is still his responsibility to travel in a manner as not to endanger the public. you NEVER NEVER NEVER bust a red light without making sure your lane is clear and that the traffic with a green light yields. We've had guys bust intersections before thinking that they have the right away because their lights and siren are on. This is clearly not the case. I truly feel for the family of these bikers and for the officer. He now has to deal with the fact that he screwed up and killed someone. Not to mention the legal and civil ramifications to follow.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I feel it is an insult when we get our boys in green lumped in with our bullies in blue.
WTF kind of asshead statement is that? Reading all your posts on this and it is apparent you are anti-law enforcement.

Reading the article it certainly looks like the officer was at fault, but then again I read articles in the Milwaukee news papers all the time (some incidents I have been involved in) and rarely do the reporters/writers get the story correct...I'm not sticking up for the officer, but the crap you're slinging here has him all but convicted.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

:agree:

I hate trying to get around stupid people. How did these morons get their license?
The cop is in the wrong. But nothing will happen to him. Sad, he kills an innocent young man, scared his girlfriend for life, and he gets paid to sit at home and fapp.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
LEO t-boned a car with 1 20year old and two highschoolers right in front of my house at get ready for this 100 miles an hour no lights or sirens killed the kids instanly and the driver is paralized for the rest of her life. LEO still working. enough said

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Everyone should be responsible for what they do. Cop should be charged just as if he was Joe blow citizen. Traffic violations, vehicular man slaughter etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is one reason why I am a fanatic for religiously using my rear view mirrors...especially at stops. Assuming these 2 riders were stopped forward and rearward instead of in parallel side to side, why then didn't they spot this mid-day goofball and jump out quickly somewhere? That's why I never, ever kiss anyone's rear bumper in front of me for this very reason, and also have supplemental LED stop lights fixed within my sissy bar inset which I can flash for added measure. Terrible....You really have to keep your eyes and mind busy.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Be ever vigilant.

My heart goes out to the rider tragically killed, and two the other two injured in this incident...and to each of their families.

Obviously the cop was at fault...but, the lesson in this should be very clear to all of us : "Always habitually monitor your mirrors when you stop, and additionally always ensure that you give yourself enough room to have an escape route out of harm's way, if you need to get out of the way in a hurry. (Personally, I also habitually tap my brake light every few seconds when stationary...to ensure that I'm even more visible....and to warm drivers that I am ahead of them, and either slowing or stationary. I watch them like a hawk as they approach, to ensure they are slowing and are going to safely stop behind me. Until they do, I am on guard and prepared to get out of the way fast, if need be.) Sitting stationary at lights, not monitoring for potential threats approaching from behind and simply relying on others to obey the road rules and stop safely behind you, is going to get more of us killed in future.....as it has so many times in the past, just as in this case. Whether it is a drunk driver, a distracted driver, a braindead moron or a careless cop....the result is that we riders who are the ones who pay the ultimate price if we allow ourselves to be rear-ended. Be ever vigilant friends....and don't let it happen to you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I for one am glad we have cops, my grandfather started as a deputy sheriff busting stills. My father was a cop for awhile. My uncle is a retired cop, went to everything you can think of including fbi school. Never did like him because of his general attitude, you know the drown poker faced, never carry's on a decent conversation. There have been efforts in a lot of community's to bring the cop, citizen relationship back together, and take the ain't gonna talk to no cop out of the equation. Make the cop more a part of the community than a separate entity. Uncle cop!
It seems to be the attitude of law enforcement to take the "0" tolerance stance, the same as the gov.

I ask the question: The Fuzz, Dink, and Hink and all the rest of law enforcement.
I see an incident where the cops are after this guy (same thing happens daily all over the country), the guy gives up, hands up. In the old days a cop would have walked up behind him and slapped the cuffs on him. Today, its like a pack of rabid rottweilers all over this guy, slamming him to the ground, knee in his back, face ground into the dirt. He gave up!!! Are we to assume this is the right way to handle a situation where a person gives up?
I witnessed my grandfather a number of times make arrests, and not once did he ever violate the individual the way cops do today. I feel the difference is, in his day there was defiantly more respect for the law, but cops back then had, I believe, one hell of a lot more confidence in themselves and their abilities. He was a tough old bird!
I don't think that it happens more now than it did back in the old days. I think that the topic has just been brought out into the fore front because of the accessibility of media devices to the general public. If anything, I would say that the tendency for an officer to use violence is down. I see a lot of the new guys relying too much on technology. Society in general has also become more violent.

I have made countless arrests in my time as a cop. Not all of them have resulted in an altercation, but some have. I've been a part of an arrest one time that a suspect punched out my partner and then ran. I chased him 4 city blocks jumping fences and running through houses. Without warning, he turned around and gave up. I tackled him to the ground and the fight was on. I ended up with my share of bumps and bruises while he went to the hospital. To the guy who saw nothing but the point where the suspect turned to give up and me tackle him, I looked like the bad guy. My question is this... Was I wrong for tackling this guy? I think not. I just watched this guy knock out a fellow officer. Am I supposed to treat this guy with kid gloves because he now wants to give up? I think not. I tried to let this guy give up and do so without an altercation. He chose the outcome of this incident. I have a responsibility to protect the public, but I have a greater responsibility to make it home and be there for my wife and kids.

Watching an arrest on a t.v. from the safety of your recliner doesn't show all the factors. Usually we only see what the media wants us to see. They often times don't show the period of time before the altercation. They don't show the aggressive body language that the suspect is displaying. They don't show the suspect telling the officer that he won't go to jail without a fight. There are too many times that the other side of the story isn't told. Let's face it...the media is looking for ratings. What better way than to make a public servant look bad.

I'll be the first to admit that there are times that cops do bad things. They're human. We're just supposed to be held at a higher standard. It's like apples on a tree. One or two bad apples does not make all the apples on the tree bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WTF kind of asshead statement is that? Reading all your posts on this and it is apparent you are anti-law enforcement.

Reading the article it certainly looks like the officer was at fault, but then again I read articles in the Milwaukee news papers all the time (some incidents I have been involved in) and rarely do the reporters/writers get the story correct...I'm not sticking up for the officer, but the crap you're slinging here has him all but convicted.
Well, you should keep up with it as I am.
Here's an update, including eyewitness account:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100808/LOCAL/8080365/Witness-recounts-crash-involving-IMPD-car

If he is at fault and walks you're dam* sure I am anti law enforcement! You guys can't run everyone over if you're running at any time. As one guy said, if it was non-LEO he'd be in jail right now. As a matter of fact, he should resign and face his punishment like a MAN.

In fact, since they were DOD employees, I hope the Feds get on up to the East side!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts