Discussion Starter · #1 ·
109 makeover
Grips
Replaced Headlight fairing with Headwinds Vampire Headlight
Led Turnsignals
Removed Speedometer and Tach
Replaced With Digital unit under handlebars
ground down mounts, cut out gas cap, welded in larger racing car cap
Filled, smoothed tank as well as finished and filled bottom seam of tank.
Mirrors
Cut back cushioning in seat affording more legroom and refinished with imitation Snakeskin
Refinished chrome heads to a brushed aluminum
Mounted leather fork bag under headlight
Will lower headlight 2 inches and move forward 1.5 inches
Repainted all pieces with silver, airbrushed lavender design throughout, sprayed silver back over to soften, 3 coats of clear

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to remount the light a little lower and further out. I really didn't like the stock light from day one. So much so that I was giving strong consideration to the M90. The light is the biggest coolest one I could find. It has a prominent blue dot in the center and looks awesome when riding behind it. Between that and the tank mods it gave it a more muscle look. Looks better in person, that being said, that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors. Recessed seat is a godsend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lookin good DiCarlos... :bigthumbsup:

BUT...gotta go with the other guys...that headlight needs to be where the bag is. But then again...like you said...That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

G

·
Very nice. Did you do the work yourself? The paint is awesome. I also like the tank without all the crap on it. I am anxious to see it with the headlight lower. Like you, I didn't care for the headlight at the beginning either. I wouldn't have it any other way now. The exile touch is nice too. That is one that I was considering doing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great job on the paint job.
Cant wait to see how it looks with the headlight lowered.
You might have to go back to the stock headlight with the fairing re-painted.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I like alot of it. I was wishing I could do the tank and tach etc that way too but I have no skills or heavy cash...

I think the headlight will look better when you move it, But I do like the one that comes stock.
Paint is great. I really like the painted to match air covers...

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Awsome work dicarlos. I think I'm with the crowd on the light though. I'll give you one for creativity, but would rather have it where the bag is myself. The tank is stellar. Who did that work for you and would you mind letting us know what the cost for the tank mod was?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Headlight... Barf!

Everything else... Nice work. Especially like the tank.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Everything looks real good...I agree with the headlight..needs to come down , also by lowering you will cover up those pesky cables and wires...

The tank looks good cleaned up..love the gas cap mod , wish Suzuki did that in the first place.

G

·
I do like the "look" of the stock M109 headlight BUT- - - - - I had to take mine off last week to work on the turn signals and when I talked to lamont later I told him that if he was really going to step his bike up to the ultra-custom category that the stock headlight has to go. Too flimsy for a great looking bike.

So I think the bike shown in this thread is headed in the right direction with the new headlight. Personally I would try to drop it down a little bit but its gonna be tough to get a mounting point that sets the headlight at the right elevation.

Good looking bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey D, that is a bad ass 109r. It looks awesome. You really hit the jackpot with all the work. The light is nice but on that position is taking away all the other mods you did. The stock level (for the light) for the bike will be looking more awesome. Great job.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yo Di,
The bike looks great! Mine is getting painted Candy Black Cherry right now and the tank seam is filled in with bondo as well. I guess you agree with my local body shop that rolling the seam underneath is too risky and likely to leak, right? I noticed that the tab at the front of your tank is trimmed off as well. I know that my body shop left the tab at the front of the tank intact. On your bike the neck covers go under the front of the tank so that worried me for a second as the front of my tank might show, but I believe that either the neck covers or the chrome speedo housing will cover my tab at the front once it's all back together, right? Damn I wish I had seen your tank before I had mine done, I love the gas cap mod! :bigthumbsup:
So is your new tach also a speedo? If not, what do you use for a speedo now? Great job, but I gotta agree with the others that the headlight needs to be where the fork bag is now. My bike should be done tuesday. I'll take some pics and post them once the bike is back together. :doorag:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow.
I really appreciate everyones praises and comments. Hal you hit it with regards to mounting location. But I'm pretty relentless and creative so I'll get it where it needs to be. My camera's wide angle lense makes things a little disproportionate and exaggerated, dramatic so to say. In the pix the unit seems to strain away from the bike. In person it's much more in check. I did test it during last weeks mods lower where the bag is and it took away it's attitude and made it look soft. Last night I lowered it an inch by flipping the mount but the final resting spot will be somewhere inbetween and a minor project at that. Today I'm going riding possibly to the Carlilse show if the weather holds. My bike was apart for a week and that was way too long. I'll get it done by next week.
Again thanx

·
Registered
253 Posts
looks great mate but what i need to know is where you got you guages and part numbers would be great or a website if there is one there is only a few things I dont like about the M and 1 is the speedo I wiould love to move it

1 - 20 of 68 Posts