M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey guys,

I just recently got my 109 and have noticed its not as big of a bike that I thought it was. Im 6'3" 285-290lbs "not fat" and I make this bike look small. Hell actually i make any bike look small. I was wondering if there are a few mods I could do that would help make the m109 appear larger insize?? Also, is there anyway to lower the seat? I know there are lowering links and what not but i mean physically lowering the seat so im not sitting so high on the bike.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'm 6'2" and 270 lbs. I would suggest:
-Corbin seat - love mine!
-10X18 rear rim with 280 or 300, 4.25X18 front rim with 160 - call Jeff or Jason at Coastal Moto and they'll hook you up!
-Suzuki crash bars - love mine! Will make the bike look "wider".
-Forward controls from DLX Prodox will help you stretch out.
-+2" risers will pull the bars closer to you for a more comfortable ride! (You'll need to change cables as well, Motion Pro makes great stainless braided +3 cables that work great.)
-Q5, Hyperchargers or Tornados intakes will make the bike look "wider"

Man, I love spending other peoples money:D

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you get a front Fairing like I have it makes the 9 look bigger and maybe some hardbags if you like the bagger look. My Victory Cross Country is a lot bigger than the 9 side by side. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If you get a front Fairing like I have it makes the 9 look bigger and maybe some hardbags if you like the bagger look. My Victory Cross Country is a lot bigger than the 9 side by side. :bigthumbsup:
^^^^^^Or that......and bags if you like that look!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 270 lbs. I would suggest:
-Corbin seat - love mine!
-10X18 rear rim with 280 or 300, 4.25X18 front rim with 160 - call Jeff or Jason at Coastal Moto and they'll hook you up!
-Suzuki crash bars - love mine! Will make the bike look "wider".
-Forward controls from DLX Prodox will help you stretch out.
-+2" risers will pull the bars closer to you for a more comfortable ride! (You'll need to change cables as well, Motion Pro makes great stainless braided +3 cables that work great.)
-Q5, Hyperchargers or Tornados intakes will make the bike look "wider"

Man, I love spending other peoples money:D
Hahaha! Not to bad Grumpy. That was about $6000 in one post!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I appreciate all the feeback guys. Money isnt too much of an issue but we all have some sort of budget. I dig the bigger wheel on the front so a 21 or 23. I know ill catch flack for it but its just my preference. Im not big on performance for a cruiser, i came from riding busas and zx14s my whole riding career. I bought the 9 because it appeared to be a larger bike and I wanted a change. With all the mods suggested im sure ill get the ride im looking for.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
trade it for a c109
:agree:

bigger wheels, 100lbs heavier, 5" longer, 4-1/2" wider, larger air cover,...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I disagree. If you are going to consider a cruiser such as a C109 you would be better off looking at the Triumph Rocket III...now that is a much bigger bike for sure. I have a good friend who owns one and it is a monster of a bike...not to mention it is loaded with power...2300 CCs to be exact.
Sorry, but the C109 has bigger dimensions than R3 on paper. Actually, in terms of weight, I believe the 900lbs C109RT is the heaviest stock V-twin. I think the only heavier stock bike is the Gold Wing (well, I guess the Boss Hoss is the heavy weight king).

VrodM109RRocket IIIC109R / C109RT
Dry weight ( lbs )640694736787 / 849
Wet weight (lbs)673764809838 / 900
Length (in)94.995.598.4101.6
Width (in)34.438.238.8
Wheel base (in)6767.366.769.1
Front wheel120/70130/70150/80150/80
Rear wheel240/40240/40240/50240/55

Triumph dealer let me play with a Rocket for an hour last month (no restrictions... man, this front wheel can lift easy). R3 does feel heavier in terms of handling, although it is lighter (higher centre of mass). But man can this thing take off... no wonder it does so well at the track...

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Sorry, but the C109 has bigger dimensions than R3 on paper. Actually, in terms of weight, I believe the 900lbs C109RT is the heaviest stock V-twin. I think the only heavier stock bike is the Gold Wing (well, I guess the Boss Hoss is the heavy weight king).

VrodM109RRocket IIIC109R / C109RT
Dry weight ( lbs )640694736787 / 849
Wet weight (lbs)673764809838 / 900
Length (in)94.995.598.4101.6
Width (in)34.438.238.8
Wheel base (in)6767.366.769.1
Front wheel120/70130/70150/80150/80
Rear wheel240/40240/40240/50240/55

Triumph dealer let me play with a Rocket for an hour last month (no restrictions... man, this front wheel can lift easy). R3 does feel heavier in terms of handling, although it is lighter (higher centre of mass). But man can this thing take off... no wonder it does so well at the track...
Thanks for that info Bro. Having seen them both up close, I was convinced that the R3 was bigger. You're right, that R3 is loaded with power, and that is why I would love to own one some day.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am a big guy too and I just ride the bike and have fun on it and am not really concerned with how I look. As long as I am comfortable and can ride safely then who cares. If somebody doesn't like it then they can pay to modify the bike for me to make it "fit" me.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I am a big guy too and I just ride the bike and have fun on it and am not really concerned with how I look. As long as I am comfortable and can ride safely then who cares. If somebody doesn't like it then they can pay to modify the bike for me to make it "fit" me.
We all have different reasons for modding our 9s or not. I have seen several guys who are so big or tall that they make the 9 look smaller than it actually is. I think the OP enjoys the bike, but is merely looking for suggestions to make it appear bigger, so that his size doesn't overshadow the bike. I believe it's simply a matter of how one prefers to ride, whether or not it matters to them how the bike looks and/or how they actually look on the bike. Some prefer performance mods over cosmetic mods, or vice versa, and some prefer both. What we do or do not do to our bikes is merely an example of how we all view, assess and value things differently. One is no worst or better than the other, and I, for one, am just really beginning to understand and accept that truth myself.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Trade it

Hey guys,

I just recently got my 109 and have noticed its not as big of a bike that I thought it was. Im 6'3" 285-290lbs "not fat" and I make this bike look small. Hell actually i make any bike look small. I was wondering if there are a few mods I could do that would help make the m109 appear larger insize?? Also, is there anyway to lower the seat? I know there are lowering links and what not but i mean physically lowering the seat so im not sitting so high on the bike.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Trade for a BossHoss with a 454 chevy big block in it. I don't think you will make that one look small

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.