M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the street this morning when a really nicely decked out Electra Glide passed by and we drove together to the lilght. At the stop light I was checking out the bike [I plan to get one a few years down the line for touring] and noticed the engine was really vibrating heavily at idle.

For those of you that have ridden Harleys, is that normal for Harleys? What about the 9?

I ride a 90, my first bike and have not ridden any other bike to compare with. The 90 is very smooth at idle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Very normal for all most all Harley's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wouldn't say all, but yeah, I've seen harleys that you'd swear the engine was fighting to escape from the frame with all the bucking around.

I have a couple of friends that I ride with and their harley's dont rattle around, I'd say about equal to my 109 tbh...

Now that I think about it some, yeah, I recall riding alongside a beautiful 2001 electra glide at a bike run one time and the engine was bucking about excessively whenever we stopped at a red light....

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
that is the rubber mounted engine at work lots of movement!!! if you see a solid mount harley you can see the vibration on the front wheel as it viberates at stop!!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
lol yeah lots of harleys vibrate like that. In fact, when I was riding a few around whenever you come down to stop after riding and the engine idles as you slow down, it feels like your going over GRAVEL! Lol

But yeah its always interesting to watch the motor almost buck out of the frame when it fires up lol

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
My old Sportster has a solid mount engine, and at idle it looks like the front wheel moves back and forth at least 2".

I have a friend that has an Ultra Glide, and I get tickled when I'm sitting beside it and it's idling. The engine is rocking back and forth, the exhaust is moving up and down, the fairing is moving back and forth. I grab the bars on mine and pretend to be shaking all over and he thinks it's funny. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts