M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of so many dealer problems, I think I will try to completely service my bike.  Does anyone know the torque specs on the exhaust pipe bolts and muffler bolts and the chassis bolts and nuts?  And which ones they are.  Is there a procedure on the inspections?  The brakes are self explanatory, but what about the other ones?  Is there a service manual out yet and if so, does it go over these items?  I also find it hard to believe that they say to replace the spark plugs at 7500 and 14500.  That 7500 just seems a bit early to me.  I changed the engine oil and filter at 150 miles (get the oil filter tool, you will need it) and I am getting ready to change the rear fluid as well.  Thanks for all the input and information.  Ryan

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I plan on doing the same thing. I don't have torque numbers but on non critical parts I never use a torque wrench anyway. The only time I've ever heard of someone breaking off an exhaust stud is when they used a torque wrench. I just use the German method "goodandtight". ;D

By the way I plan on doing a online class on how to do this with pictures. Should be in about a week or so. 8)

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lamonster said:
I plan on doing the same thing. I don't have torque numbers but on non critical parts I never use a torque wrench anyway. The only time I've ever heard of someone breaking off an exhaust stud is when they used a torque wrench. I just use the German method "goodandtight". ;D

By the way I plan on doing a online class on how to do this with pictures. Should be in about a week or so. 8)
Sounds great! Can you foward me that information when you get it?

G

·
Ford5pointoh said:
You never had the pleasure of owning a 5.0?Â
Should of said "motorcycle with 2 drain plugs...."...work on cars for a livin,,and seen a many of double hump ford pans.... ;D.... and had a 86 gt.....

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
z109r said:
I've always done my own work on cars and bikes, but can't they try to void the warranty if you don't take it in for the 600 mile check-up.
Who told you that? My dealer never even said anything about taking mine in. After the last go around I wouldn't take it to them for service anyway. :confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lamonster said:
Who told you that? My dealer never even said anything about taking mine in. After the last go around I wouldn't take it to them for service anyway. :confused:
He carefully inferred it, and included a paper [checklist], with what they would check at 600 miles, for a cost of 75.00, with the paperwork from the sale of the bike. I ordered a manual from another dealer in my area, changing the oil tommorow. ::)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
z109r said:
He carefully inferred it, and included a paper [checklist], with what they would check at 600 miles, for a cost of 75.00, with the paperwork from the sale of the bike. I ordered a manual from another dealer in my area, changing the oil tommorow. ::)
I would just document your service and I'm sure you will be fine. Now if you forget to put oil in it or something like that then it may be a problem. ;)

Seems like I remember reading that these have a computer in them that when you plug it in it will shown when the oil was changed. Maybe that was just a dream I had. ::)

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lamonster said:
I would just document your service and I'm sure you will be fine. Now if you forget to put oil in it or something like that then it may be a problem. ;)

Seems like I remember reading that these have a computer in them that when you plug it in it will shown when the oil was changed. Maybe that was just a dream I had. ::)
I asked a dealer that, if it took snap shots of all the sensors and he said no. The reason I asked is if you did go high on the RPM's when the bike was under 500 miles, would they know? He said no, but it seems that we know as much if not more then the dealers on this bike. Does this bike have an OBD2 hook up?

·
Registered
817 Posts
z109r said:
I've always done my own work on cars and bikes, but can't they try to void the warranty if you don't take it in for the 600 mile check-up.
FYI: It is illegal in the United States to compel a consumer to spend additional money in order to protect rights under a manufacturer warranty. In other words -- you do NOT void the warranty by not taking the bike in for any scheduled maintenance.

A lot of dealers will try to pull this one. ::)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My dealership, while all nice guys, didn't even know much about my 1500 LC. In the six years I owned it and 26 K miles, they were unable to fix anything that went wrong, after repeated tries. I liked the bike so much, I fixed things myself with the help of the forum. It never saw the dealer after the first year.
I don't plan on taking the 109 back, ever. The touchy throttle in first and second gear is a good example. Would they ever have installed a timing advancer to fix it? Not in a million years. They were unable to keep my LC from popping out of 4th gear for a year either. After I fixed it, it never popped out again in 5 years. Read the Honda or Harley forums too, same problem.
Really, not much to do to these bikes anyway.
1. Change the gear lube at 500 miles, good forever after that.
2. Change the oil and filter every 3K miles.
3. Get new tires and brake pads as they wear out, battery every two years.
4. Change brake fluid, coolant,plugs air filters, and fork oil yearly.
5. Keep bolts tight, use locktite blue on any removed or found loose.
Buy all the chrome goodies you can afford, and ride, ride, ride.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
CBR1000DUDE said:
My dealership, while all nice guys, didn't even know much about my 1500 LC. In the six years I owned it and 26 K miles, they were unable to fix anything that went wrong, after repeated tries. I liked the bike so much, I fixed things myself with the help of the forum. It never saw the dealer after the first year.
I don't plan on taking the 109 back, ever. The touchy throttle in first and second gear is a good example. Would they ever have installed a timing advancer to fix it? Not in a million years. They were unable to keep my LC from popping out of 4th gear for a year either. After I fixed it, it never popped out again in 5 years. Read the Honda or Harley forums too, same problem.
Really, not much to do to these bikes anyway.
1. Change the gear lube at 500 miles, good forever after that.
2. Change the oil and filter every 3K miles.
3. Get new tires and brake pads as they wear out, battery every two years.
4. Change brake fluid, coolant,plugs air filters, and fork oil yearly.
5. Keep bolts tight, use locktite blue on any removed or found loose.
Buy all the chrome goodies you can afford, and ride, ride, ride.
thats a little early on the brake fluid, fork oil and coolant. usually every 2 years on most of that except the fork oil which can go 4 years.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
steve j said:
thats a little early on the brake fluid, fork oil and coolant. usually every 2 years on most of that except the fork oil which can go 4 years.
From what I was told there are cartridges in the forks. And you replace the cartridges when needed.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
rynosback said:
From what I was told there are cartridges in the forks. And you replace the cartridges when needed.
Good to know. Actually I was describing what I did to my 1500 LC to keep it in as new condition for 6 years. Sure you can wait longer, but why not do it all at once during bad weather each year? Doing motorcycle maitenance is fun for me. Beats painting the house. "Sorry honey, I've got to get this all done before I forget where all the parts go" :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts