M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have worn out too many feelers and it was time to order another batch to fit my Kury Black Widows, but then I saw the Gman Titanium feelers.

I liked the idea, but was not fond of the price.

So, I looked into metals that would spark a bit more and realized magnesium sparks far more.

So, I bough a foot of 1/2" magnesium round bar for $9 on ebay and did a little tooling to make my own feelers.

Now I just need someone to ride behind me with a camera to see these babies light up :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
643 Posts
i should be free for a ride this coming weekend, you were able to turn that in your garage?

your kury pegs have the same thread as stock?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grinder, drill, drill press and sandpaper got me to the right size.

Then on to the tap & die set and threaded the post.

Cut the bar to the right length and moved on to the next one.

Polished them up and they were good to go.

The thread on the Widows is not the same as stock.

If you want a set, and the C matches the M, let me know. I have my stock pegs and feelers here that I can match for you.

If they are not a match, plan to spend an hour here first and we will make you a set.

·
Registered
643 Posts
yes the C and M are supposed to be the same at
8mm x 1.25

I am in need of a pair since my left one is gone and I was wearing the board itself last week , i was as a matter of fact ready to order a set of GMAN's

and before someone else lets ya know, the magnesium is less then dense then the titanium and probably wont last nearly as long, but since your tooling them yourself I am sure thats not something your gonna be sweating

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well the Titanium one's light up beautifully... if these one's spark even MORE?? I can't wait to see these puppies!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
let me know who these work, and ill buy a set from you if you wanna make some extras!:clap2:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Just a little safety tip. if you are doing these at home, with a grinder, be careful. Magnesium will burn. And you can NOT put it out with water, or a regular fire extinguisher. Please mind your cuttings.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just a little safety tip. if you are doing these at home, with a grinder, be careful. Magnesium will burn. And you can NOT put it out with water, or a regular fire extinguisher. Please mind your cuttings.
Magnesium will also put off some toxic gases? But if they spark it should be bright.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and before someone else lets ya know, the magnesium is less then dense then the titanium and probably wont last nearly as long, but since your tooling them yourself I am sure thats not something your gonna be sweating
I am aware and you are right, it is not bothering me.

Now, we will need to see if they are strong enough not to just break off the first time I hit them.

But for $9 for enough to make 4 sets and an hour in the garage, it is well worth testing.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for looking out, but that was something I planned for before I even ordered the bar.

So, here is my disclaimer:

Don't try this at home kids

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Just remember that Magnesium does not extinguish right away and will stay hot for awhile. If you spark into any dry vegetation, you most likely will start a fire. :cop: Just saying

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just remember that Magnesium does not extinguish right away and will stay hot for awhile. If you spark into any dry vegetation, you most likely will start a fire. :cop: Just saying
I though of that, but figured that I would need to be making huge showers of sparks to actually leave the road and get into any vegetation.

If I see that kind of sparking, I will consider the experiment a failure and move on to something else.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Home made Feelers , Dude your Killin ,me :bigthumbsup:

:bow:
Thanks, but it is not really that big of a deal.

Now that I have done it, I think I could do it again, differently and make it easier.

I am going to need to make a few sets.

Do you want a how-to?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
I though of that, but figured that I would need to be making huge showers of sparks to actually leave the road and get into any vegetation.

If I see that kind of sparking, I will consider the experiment a failure and move on to something else.:dontknow:
SR, it doesn't take much. Titanium will come off in larger pieces and stay hot for quite a while. I would definitely have someone follow you just to see what it does, especially this time of year with leaves starting to gather along the road.

I saw a maintenance man attempt to weld a two wheeled cart that was broken and he didn't realize it had a magnesium handle. It ignited and literally melted through the asphalt. He started welding it in the shop and kicked it outside once it ignited. It burns extremely hot, over 5,000 degrees F, and can even burn under water. About the only way to extinguish it is to cover it with sand. And the light from it when it ignites is too bright to look at.

Please be extremely careful with this stuff.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
they should create a nice show.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SR, it doesn't take much. Titanium will come off in larger pieces and stay hot for quite a while. I would definitely have someone follow you just to see what it does, especially this time of year with leaves starting to gather along the road.

I saw a maintenance man attempt to weld a two wheeled cart that was broken and he didn't realize it had a magnesium handle. It ignited and literally melted through the asphalt. He started welding it in the shop and kicked it outside once it ignited. It burns extremely hot, over 5,000 degrees F, and can even burn under water. About the only way to extinguish it is to cover it with sand. And the light from it when it ignites is too bright to look at.

Please be extremely careful with this stuff.
I appreciate the concern, but am thinking I am not coming anywhere near temperatures needed to light the magnesium on fire.

When I am working with it, I am getting shavings and dust. I have not ever triggered an accidental spark from it.

It is rather soft and easy to work with.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am in need of a pair since my left one is gone and I was wearing the board itself last week , i was as a matter of fact ready to order a set of GMAN's
I made a second set for you, in the stock thread size. I messed up the thread on the second one and had an idea.

I am actually a little concerned that it is too soft. It may not spark at all from road contact. It may just snap off at the post.

So, I drilled straight through it and tapped it with an M8 1.25. I ran a bolt through it and cut the head off. I used red lock-tight to secure the bolt to what is now essentially a magnesium nut.

So, this set has one all magnesium and one steel core feeler.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the steel core, but we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I made a second set for you, in the stock thread size. I messed up the thread on the second one and had an idea.

I am actually a little concerned that it is too soft. It may not spark at all from road contact. It may just snap off at the post.

So, I drilled straight through it and tapped it with an M8 1.25. I ran a bolt through it and cut the head off. I used red lock-tight to secure the bolt to what is now essentially a magnesium nut.

So, this set has one all magnesium and one steel core feeler.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the steel core, but we will see how it goes.
Thanx,

the steel core i would think, should hold up better. and while i dont think think the all Magnesium would just snap off from some gentle dragging, its possible , and wouldn't surprise me if/when you would catch an imperfection in the road surface.

as you said --we will see

1 - 20 of 36 Posts