M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it just my M90 Model or is it par for the course for M90 owners? I have a very difficult time locating my year and model on the online parts stores, google searches and even at the local motorcycle dealer where I bought my bike. Even specific M90 websites. This site is googled for M90s but named M109. :)

It seems that even by using the VIN number parts stores do not provide a consensus as to what model my M90 is. The local dealer, where I bought the bike, came up with a 2014 (L4), VZ1500, 201A that they located on their OEM inhouse Suzuki Parts Database. I specify in-house because they explained that the ones we see online are is not the same as what authorized dealers have access to. We settled on this model when I had to replace the clutch and noted that there were differences in what my mechanic was ordering and what the parts store recommended. I ordered the store-recommended part. It was the correct one.

I have had problems repairing a slight oil seal leak on one of my forks. It puddles on my rim in the summer. I live in the Imperial valley-110 degrees plus. . I have had it replaced three times. I was given different seals since even the parts store could not figure it out. During the winter it is not too bad, but summer is now here. The seal just does not seem to do the job in high temperatures. It is only one seal and the mechanic claims that the shocks are not damaged.

Does anyone know the reason why it is so difficult to locate the correct model online or even at parts stores? A mechanic once explained that manufacturers create pre-release models and then change parts out when the actual production process starts. Thereby creating certain models that are not listed exactly as what one would have.

Anyhow, Just checking to see if it is just me or do most M90 owners go through the same headaches when locating parts.

I am not a mechanic but can do basic routine maintenance on cars and motorcycles. Brakes, oil, air filters, etc.

BTW does anyone know if there is a website where I can locate parts for my M90 model.

I appreciate any help.

(I deleted the part of the brake pad retaining pin.:LOL:, It did have a cotter pin.)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We do have a M90 subforum which is probably why we showed up on a search. Not a lot of M90 members but we have enough that hopefully someone can give you some help. I don't recall seeing anyone specifically mention it being hard to determine what parts to get for an M90. I thought they shared a lot of parts with the C90.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. We do have a M90 subforum which is probably why we showed up on a search. Not a lot of M90 members but we have enough that hopefully someone can give you some help. I don't recall seeing anyone specifically mention it being hard to determine what parts to get for an M90. I thought they shared a lot of parts with the C90.
Ok thank you. I will look for the sub-forum and go from there. I am sticking with the VZ1500 (L4) baseline for now. I did manage to locate a PDF repair/service manual for $9.99 on ebay. I changed the back brakes and cleaned air filters today. Ordered new air filters. Changing oil next and and changing radiator fluid. I'll take to local shop for fork seals and she'll be ready for summer.🙂👍

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I don't have a M90 but I would bet more than pocket change that you will find the M90 is much like the M109R when it comes to parts.
95% of the parts on any model year, will fit any other model year.
For the M109R the fork seals in a 2006 is the same as in a 2021. (or any model year in between)
It is likely that the same fork seals for a 2009 M90 are the same fork seals in a 2019 as well.
Here is a link to the Suzuki part numbers for a 2009 M90.

You can usually find free downloads of owner & service manuals on FB sites like Suzuki Boulevard Riders Group or the Boulevard Gallery.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a M90 but I would bet more than pocket change that you will find the M90 is much like the M109R when it comes to parts.
95% of the parts on any model year, will fit any other model year.
For the M109R the fork seals in a 2006 is the same as in a 2021. (or any model year in between)
It is likely that the same fork seals for a 2009 M90 are the same fork seals in a 2019 as well.
Here is a link to the Suzuki part numbers for a 2009 M90.

You can usually find free downloads of owner & service manuals on FB sites like Suzuki Boulevard Riders Group or the Boulevard Gallery.

BCS
LGB/FJB
Thanks for the insight. I went to the dealership, where I bought the M90, to quote front brake pads today. They could not find my model number that matchs the VX1500 (L4) for my 2014 M90 in the "dealership only" Suzuki database. It only listed the VL1500 for 2014.

Is that true? That the Suzuki databases we find used by online retailers is different than the one used by this dealer? I wonder. . . .hmmmmmm.. LOL.:LOL:

And he, the parts manager, gave me the parts breakdown image page for 2014 (L4)\VZ1500 when I bought the clutch in June 2021! LMAO:ROFLMAO:. I have dual brakes and his Suzuki database only shows one caliper on a 2014 M90. :eek:Brake pads aren't that different between the years so I know I'll be ok. But it is so wild that my bike isn't specifically listed or that the dealers can't come up with the exact model. It's always, "welllllll. . . it should fit.". :rolleyes:They don't exactly extrude confidence.:cool: I actually bought my rear pads in San Diego. This 1 1/2 buggy town has no parts in stock. I usually buy online and that is why I am so familiar with this disconnect. I really have to research. This site may turn out to be a lifeline. Looking forward to tapping into everyone's knowledge.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
8,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

One thing that I have learned over the years - always use OEM fork seals, and always service the forks in pairs. Be sure that the fork oil volume & viscosity is the same. Then, you should not have any more problems.

Best wishes for success!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum.

One thing that I have learned over the years - always use OEM fork seals, and always service the forks in pairs. Be sure that the fork oil volume & viscosity is the same. Then, you should not have any more problems.

Best wishes for success!
Yes, I do buy the Suzuki OEM Seals. It's just that the dealer has got them wrong in the past. The fluid may be the issue although I buy it at the dealer also. Aside from the seal, would any other component inside the fork cause the oil to seep? I've been told m forks are not damaged. I am changing mechanic for the seal job. Will see how this new one does.

·
Administrator
8,993 Posts
Yes, I do buy the Suzuki OEM Seals. It's just that the dealer has got them wrong in the past. The fluid may be the issue, although I buy it at the dealer also. Aside from the seal, would any other component inside the fork cause the oil to seep? I've been told m forks are not damaged. I am changing mechanic for the seal job. Will see how this new one does.
Sometimes dirt gets stuck between the seal and the fork tube. You can buy a plastic tool to clean them, or make one from a thin piece of plastic.
If the level of the fork fluid is lower in the other fork tube, that will cause the newly repaired & filled fork to take up all the force until it reaches that lower level. This could contribute to seepage.
@some 9 has rebuilt a lot of forks, so he can likely answer that question. The same goes for @bigpapaXCT and @futurR . If you check an online parts list at someplace such as oneidasuzuki.com, you should be able to tell if there are other components that should be replaced. But, once again, it has always been my experience that both forks are repaired at the same time.
I think @some 9 has even posted a video for replace fork seals for an M109. If the M90 does not have inverted forks, then there are many videos online (youtube) that cover fork rebuilds. I have done my VMax and my FJR1300; it is not very difficult or time-consuming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's great insight. I will follow up on those videos and see if additional parts need to be replaced. So far I'm just doing maintenance like oil, change, air filters, brake fluid, brake pads and radiator fluid. . Not sure if I want to venture into the forks and mechanical components. Fro t calipers need cleaning due to the seepage. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,436 Posts
The other thing that can cause the seal to leak is if the fork tube has a ding in it, such as from a stone hitting it. Those can be hard to see. I've used black marker to darken the tube then used very fine, like 1200 grit, sandpaper on a flat block to go over them and see if a depression on burr shows up.

·
Administrator
8,993 Posts
That's great insight. I will follow up on those videos and see if additional parts need to be replaced. So far I'm just doing maintenance like oil, change, air filters, brake fluid, brake pads and radiator fluid. . Not sure if I want to venture into the forks and mechanical components. Fro t calipers need cleaning due to the seepage. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge.
Although these are not specific to the M90, here is one such video:

Here is another:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Change the bushings in the forks if they haven't been already , worn bushings won't keep the tube centered in the slider..
I will have the mechanic change the full kit on both shocks, not just the seal. My previous mechanic's helper actually mentioned changing a bushing. I'll make sure to mention this to the new mechanic I am going to go to. Good information so I am not going in totally blind. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The other thing that can cause the seal to leak is if the fork tube has a ding in it, such as from a stone hitting it. Those can be hard to see. I've used black marker to darken the tube then used very fine, like 1200 grit, sandpaper on a flat block to go over them and see if a depression on burr shows up.
Now that is ineresting. Will see what this new mechanic will do. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Does look like a basic take out, clean, replace and reassemble job. I'm looking at $250 labor for both forks.:unsure:
There are a few specialty tools that are must have, in order to work on the forks and change seals.
But once you have those, it's not a difficult job to do if you are mechanically inclined.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sometimes dirt gets stuck between the seal and the fork tube. You can buy a plastic tool to clean them, or make one from a thin piece of plastic.
If the level of the fork fluid is lower in the other fork tube, that will cause the newly repaired & filled fork to take up all the force until it reaches that lower level. This could contribute to seepage.
@some 9 has rebuilt a lot of forks, so he can likely answer that question. The same goes for @bigpapaXCT and @futurR . If you check an online parts list at someplace such as oneidasuzuki.com, you should be able to tell if there are other components that should be replaced. But, once again, it has always been my experience that both forks are repaired at the same time.
I think @some 9 has even posted a video for replace fork seals for an M109. If the M90 does not have inverted forks, then there are many videos online (youtube) that cover fork rebuilds. I have done my VMax and my FJR1300; it is not very difficult or time-consuming.
I have probably done over 50 sets in the last 10 years. I have always used Allballs racing for my seals and have never had one go bad. They are exceptional quality. OEM is almost always the go to on parts for us, but that is the one thing that I do go aftermarket on. I didn't read any comments above, but I would be betting that the m90 and m109r would be almost identical in how they are designed. no reason for Suzuki to change for such a similar bike. Here is the allball racing ones for the vzr1500 - 56-137

1 - 20 of 23 Posts