M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any current or former VTX riders here?  How does the suzuki compare?  I currently ride a 02 C model, but am considering an upgrade.  Please list any pros/cons between the 2 bikes - power, handling, comfort, balance etc. 

A few weeks ago I took the 109 for a test ride, but it was so damn cold in the upper midwest that I didn't get too far.  I immediately noticed a couple changes I would make - pullback handlebar risers, and lower suspension.  Is there an easy adjustment to the rear shock?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
codyman said:
Any current or former VTX riders here? How does the suzuki compare? I currently ride a 02 C model, but am considering an upgrade. Please list any pros/cons between the 2 bikes - power, handling, comfort, balance etc.

A few weeks ago I took the 109 for a test ride, but it was so damn cold in the upper midwest that I didn't get too far. I immediately noticed a couple changes I would make - pullback handlebar risers, and lower suspension. Is there an easy adjustment to the rear shock?
Power- Too close to call in my book. The VTX seems to have more low end grunt but the 109 gets real happy around 4K+

Handling- Seems like the 109 handles a little better but it's been so long since I've had a stock VTX it's hard to say.

Comfort
- Well I wouldn't call the 109 a comfortable ride per say but my only real beef is the bars and risers and that can be changed. The seat is not bad for me and the controls are just where I need them to be.

Balance
- I think the 109 is well balanced. The bike feels a lot lighter than the VTX to me.

The shock can be adjusted pretty easy but I haven't adjusted mine yet. It seems a little stiff for one up but may be fine for two up. I don't see the 109 as a long range bike (600 mile days) out of the box but with it little work it could be I'm sure. I don't think you're going to see a giant leap going from the VTX 1800 to the 109, it will be different but that's about it in my opinion and that's all this is. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I haven't ridden the VTX, but the owner of Phila Suzuki/Honda said my bike smokes the VTX. He sells both, and rides a VTX-C himself, so I have to believe him. I can't believe how fast it goes from 70 to 100, It's like in 2 seconds.
I really love this bike. - Al

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
VZR1800 said:
I haven't ridden the VTX, but the owner of Phila Suzuki/Honda said my bike smokes the VTX. He sells both, and rides a VTX-C himself, so I have to believe him. I can't believe how fast it goes from 70 to 100, It's like in 2 seconds.
I really love this bike. - Al
Like I said, I do own both and I think it's too close to call but I do plan on taking to the dragstrip to find out for sure. Maybe we can do a "Pinks" show. ;D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lamonster said:
Like I said, I do own both and I think it's too close to call but I do plan on taking to the dragstrip to find out for sure. Maybe we can do a "Pinks" show. ;D
;D ;D ;D

I haven't seen Pinks yet, but I've been meaning too. When is it on ?

And, yeh, if you own both bikes, you would be the best judge. These bike shop owners always tell you your bike is better one. I kinda figured that. But still, i'm routing for the 109 to humble the VTX. ;D

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Well I know my VTX will smoke a stock Valkyrie 5 for 5 but I'm not sure about the 109 but I'm going to find out as soon as I can. ;D

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've run mine against a friend's X who I always horsed around with when we'd both be running our Xs together. When it was X against X, it always came down to who blew a shift or got into their Rev Limiter due to too much Xcitation. Otherwise, it was pretty much neck and neck.
Running the 109 against him is another story. I'm moving by him pretty well and still stretching 2nd while he's about topping out 3rd. From there, the lead grows until sanity, or lack of road sets in. The X screams, but the 109 benefits from more power and less shifting when you're running through the first 4.
Jerbear

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
jerbear said:
I've run mine against a friend's X who I always horsed around with when we'd both be running our Xs together. When it was X against X, it always came down to who blew a shift or got into their Rev Limiter due to too much Xcitation. Otherwise, it was pretty much neck and neck.
Running the 109 against him is another story. I'm moving by him pretty well and still stretching 2nd while he's about topping out 3rd. From there, the lead grows until sanity, or lack of road sets in. The X screams, but the 109 benefits from more power and less shifting when you're running through the first 4.
Jerbear
Cool. I changed out the final drive to the 1300 drive so mines a little taller for just that reason. I found that I would be shifting into 5th in the 1/4 before I wanted to. I haven't been back to the track since I made this change.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know about the VTX, but I raced my friends Warrior up through 3rd gear and I pulled about five or six bikes and let off. I weigh about 25-30 pounds more than him too.

I doubt the M109 will be as fast as the VROD. It's just too heavy and the VROD revs up to 10K. I think the 109 will be faster then the VTX. You would think the magazines would put together a road test. What's up with that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I owned an 03 vtx1800 c and From my drag racing roots(1st passion) feel the m109r is much faster ....Im gonna guess a 11.70' to 80 e.t Stock....JMHO....I Do think alot has to do with the rpm on the high end also...being why the v-rod might still be a tad faster....But hey....I wiggled he azz in third the other day and that really woke me up....Top end pulled to 135 indicated by the speedo(yeasterday)..and It was I that let off....Just to much wind @that speed...But I do think it will pull to at least 140 on the speedo.. ;D

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I might have to strap on one of my GPS's and see what she will really do. Problem is finding a road straight enough around here. :cop:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just sold my 02 vtx 1800c and bought a 109r. Night and day difference for me. I can feel the extra power but it doesn;t seem to come in until the mid rpm range. My vtx was really good off the line except for those low line rev limiters.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
shawnadair said:
I just sold my 02 vtx 1800c and bought a 109r. Night and day difference for me. I can feel the extra power but it doesn;t seem to come in until the mid rpm range. My vtx was really good off the line except for those low line rev limiters.
Yep, that sounds about right. I find that after riding the 109 and getting back on the X I tend to bumb the rev limiter pretty easy now. The 109 gets real happy at 4K and above. ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I owned a 02 1800 rerto. The biggest difference for me was balance. The stock pipes on the honda made the bike lean to the right. It's a GREAT bike(VTX). The 109 is the better bike for me. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you compared stock vtx's to the stock 109 I think the 109 will have the edge. I am like lamont and it is hard to compare and would say they are very close and will probably come down to the rider. Off the line my vtx is stronger but after that the 109 has some advantages.

The big test will be when the pipes and air filters are available and you can have a custom map done. I have had 4 vts's and have 2 right now. The one in my sig. is to modified to be competitive in the corners but fantastic off the line. The other is a stock f that does 96 hp and 112 lb of torque with vance and hines, custom map and lamonts air filter. It is a rocket off the line.

I have the 109 down to the frame and engine while doing the paint. The one thing I noticed is the swing arm seems to pivot a lot further up than the vtx and maybe that is one of the reasons it feels better in the corners. I also like the way the frame is done. Frame is much like the vrod and open under the tank. The vtx has a single back bone that eats up a lot of space.

This is the easiest tank I have ever seen to take off.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
well my mom has a VTX and i like to ride both and i would also agree that they are too close to call i have not had a chance to run with a friend of mine who has a vtx and to see the performance difference but they both have their strong points

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Had a 02 VTX 1800 C which I traded for the M109. With 16K saddle time on the X I can state with some certainty that there was plenty of 1st thru 3rd gear grunt and tire spinning was simply a twist of the throttle on the X. In it's own right the 1800 was a awesome machine. The only mod was V&H pipes with quiet baffles and I had the opportunity to "SMOKE" Harley's ( to include the V-Rod).

The M109 is a different bike completely......more HP, toque, higher revving and a lower center of gravity have been my first impressions. As I only have 1K on the Suzuki at this time I think the cornering for the 109 is crisper. On one occasion I had the new scoot just over 100 mph with a quick twist of the wrist from a roll-on of 50 mph. Super smooth and there was plenty of power to spare. These are just "seat of the pants" observations but I think the 109 , like the 1800 X will make it's own reputation as a formatable "street cruiser".

·
Registered
849 Posts
Riding with a friend on a VTX today, we both decided to turn it on. From the rear position, the 109 quickly caught and passed and the next next I knew, I was going 130 in forth gear and my friend was small in the mirror. The problem is the vehicles that were a long way in front of me when I started were now way too close. God, this thing covers ground in a hurry. It's a good thing it's got good brakes.
Jer

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
jerbear said:
Riding with a friend on a TX today, we both decided to turn it on. From the rear position, the 109 quickly caught and passed and the next next I knew, I was going 130 in forth gear and my friend was small in the mirror. The problem is the vehicles that were a long way in front of me when I started were now way too close. God, this thing covers ground in a hurry. It's a good thing it's got good brakes.
Jer
The motor in the M109 reminds me of the days of small block Chevy motors......"big bores with short strokes give miles of smiles".......on the other side of the coin....."there is nothing that substitutes for HP and torque"......those in your rearview mirror are first to realize the phenomenon :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
i read this these post and it makes me realize how many still love the vtx. i owned a 1300c and it was fixed up nice, and i miss that bike. hell i'll get over it, just makes me think how many of us loved the honda.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts