M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been reading the forums for a bit. Would love to get some opinions from 109 owners.. and i hear there might be a couple here :)

I am currently evaluating buying the m109r v the new triumph thunderbird.

I like both bikes, but do prefer the look of the 109r. Quite a few reviews I have read have put the thunderbird as the better bike, but would love to hear from some owners that love their 109. The main gripe seems to be around the handling of the 109. And that is a really important factor for me - i love riding in the twisties. I dont care about the power difference, as both have more then enough.

Would love to hear your opinions and help me make a more informed decision.....

thanks for your help

Ralph

·
Registered
325 Posts
triumph dealers usually offer demo rides. If not there is a triumph demo truck that goes around look it up on their website. From what i've read the t bird would be a bit down on power compared to the m109r. The rocket 3 would be a closer comparison to the M109r actually it has a bit more punch but you don't get to wind it much past 5000 rpm. The m109 handles well enough in smooth curves in my opinion.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi All,

Been reading the forums for a bit. Would love to get some opinions from 109 owners.. and i hear there might be a couple here :)

I am currently evaluating buying the m109r v the new triumph thunderbird.

I like both bikes, but do prefer the look of the 109r. Quite a few reviews I have read have put the thunderbird as the better bike, but would love to hear from some owners that love their 109. The main gripe seems to be around the handling of the 109. And that is a really important factor for me - i love riding in the twisties. I dont care about the power difference, as both have more then enough.

Would love to hear your opinions and help me make a more informed decision.....

thanks for your help

Ralph
Ralph 1st of all your jumping on a 109 forum asking people what they think of their 109, Should i buy a 109 or a t/bird, what sort of answer do you think you are going to get!! Go on the Triumph forum and I'm sure they will tell you to buy the t/bird. 2nd of all you are worried about riding in the twisties, which bike is better. My mate has a t/bird and he scrapes pegs in the twisties as well. So go buy the bike you like the best.

Bigeh..

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Ralph 1st of all your jumping on a 109 forum asking people what they think of their 109, Should i buy a 109 or a t/bird, what sort of answer do you think you are going to get!! Go on the Triumph forum and I'm sure they will tell you to buy the t/bird. 2nd of all you are worried about riding in the twisties, which bike is better. My mate has a t/bird and he scrapes pegs in the twisties as well. So go buy the bike you like the best.

Bigeh..
:agree:100%
:welcome: to the forum though brother!
I personally think my big beast handles great on the twisties...:dontknow: True there is some peg scrape, but you'll get that with most cruisers you decide to ride aggressive like a crotch-rocket. Go with the bike you like the best. No question for me about which bike I would buy because
I already have it! Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Our dealer let me ride the thunderbird as a demo on about an hour ride it is a very smooth bike has good power and shifts like butter . I felt it was lacking in power and overall style . I couldnt wait to get on my 9 again !

I would choose it as a second bike on days where I would take my wife out to ride with me very smooth bike .

It fills a void with triumph now they have a 800 1600 and the 2300 rocket .

·
Registered
31 Posts
:welcome: A friend of ours has the Tbird here in Kingsland and we ride all the time on some nice back roads around here with plenty of twisties. He has ridden my 109 and I his Bird. Power isn't the same as my 109 but I did love that when I shifted, I didn't get that clunk that all 109 riders love feeling over their toes. My opinion is ride both of them. Preference, preference, preference!!!!! Enjoy wichever one you decide to go with and make sure to keep the rubber side down. Peace.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My friend just bought the T-Bird..Great bike, but my 9 smoked it. Mind you his was stock, but I don't see it ever beating a 9. It does look good, and is smooth shifting and the ride is great. But as for power 9 beats it..Plus good luck getting parts or parts cheap..

·
Registered
226 Posts

Bigeh..
Mate he scarpes even on the roundabouts!!
Look mate one of the boys in the club has one and I thought it would handle a lot better than the 9 but it doesnt.
Even though it has a skinny rear wheel and 19" front which should go in its favour the pegs are way too low in my opinion and it scrapes on the places where the 9 doesnt so like Bigeh said its more of a preferance thing.
I'll go 9 any day over T-Bird coz its a lot meaner and faster bike and the comments that you get when you rock up on the 9 cant compare coz its just has that presence saying move your lil bike away coz my beast will eat it :evil:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i love my chunky bike yes its a lump 700lbs(i think)!

yes its a criuser well sort of (retro)

yes its different with beutiful lines!

yes or no its not a sports bike,or not a harley or is it ?

its a unique peace of japanese enginering!

&yes i love it! buy it u wont be dissapointed!:

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
The 9 handles fine in the twisties. I have seen some great riders pass people that I would not of passed in the twisties. So this mike may surpass your abilities. Get the 9 and don't look back. I still smile riding her after 4 years.

:welcome: to the forum also.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I always love this kind of discussion.

If the twists are all that matter, then I would expect a sport bike to be in the running.

As no sport bike made your short list, I think you would be happy on either in the twists.

I say go for the extra power and style of the 9, but I am a little partial.:dontknow:

·
Registered
595 Posts
As far as handling in the twisties, both bikes will probably have similar handling. They both have modern chassis and suspension systems and will corner quite well but lean angle will be limited by ground clearance due to the forward footpeg position. The T-bird probably has a more refined and user friendly transmission but the 9 is most definitely faster and much more powerful. The oversquare engine on the 9 winds up to 7,200 rpm at which point it is putting out 130 Hp at the crank (around 105 Hp at the rear wheel in stock form). I don't know the exact specs on the T-bird but as a long-stroke under square engine I'm guessing it maxes out somewhere in the 70-80 HP range at around 5,000 rpm.

This review from Popular Mechanics states the stock 109's drag track times (which are approaching that of modern sport bike specs). The writer's description sums up this bike's personality quite well and the reason that all of us on this forum chose this beast. It's got some quirks but that big 1800cc V-twin really is an ANIMAL!!! (I happen to think it's sexxy as Hell sitting on the kick stand too!!)
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4216203.html?page=5

The 9 will be much lower in price as will parts and service which is another thing you may want to consider. If money isn't an issue then test ride each one and pick the one that feels/looks the best to you. Both are high quality machines that should provide years of trouble free thrills. I prefer the looks and power of the 109 but I came from a sport bike background so my priorities my be different than yours.

Either way, after you make your decision make sure you post pix if your new beast for us all to oogle at!! :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I know I was going to get some pro 109 posts, and thats what i was looking for. The reviews I had read, had a couple of issues with the 109, so wanted to get some thoughts of owners....

I am taking both for a test ride this weekend, so should have a bit of a better idea come next week what i want.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mate the choice is yours, you can have any bike you want or like better as long as its a :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:9

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I guess it's just me but the entire line of Triumph motorcycles doesn't do anything for me. I'm sure their good bikes but the styling is just not what I like. I don't think anything beats a sexy V-Twin. Just my opinion.

Good write up opinion Syco! :bigthumbsup: Lots of good points.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts