M109 Rider Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 880 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd make those of you who haven't seen or heard of what we currently have in development, aware of it. Although the trailer featured in the few clips below is an original single wheeled trailer that was manufactured in New Zealand back in 2005, those that we are on the verge of producing will feature a full tubular chassis, vastly improved suspension, stronger swingarm pivot points and will feature an M109R inspired rear end with an M109R tail light. Additionally, they will run a new 12" alloy rim, in place of the 10" rims on the original trailers. The hitch and the trailer's quick release coupling mechanism on the trailer in the following videos, was manufactured by us, here in Brisbane, Australia.

For those of you who are interested in seeing more clips of it, can simply have a look at the videos I have posted. Youtube User name = dcg1963

With Kind Regards,
David Gordon
Unison GME Pty Ltd
Brisbane, Australia.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Will the fully loaded trailer put any more stress on the kickstand? Some have changed to billet aluminum stands. Also will it have any effect on the bike rolling forward when parked? I would hate to see my baby laying on it's side.
I am very excited to see the new trailer. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kickstand weight.

Will the fully loaded trailer put any more stress on the kickstand? Some have changed to billet aluminum stands. Also will it have any effect on the bike rolling forward when parked? I would hate to see my baby laying on it's side.
I am very excited to see the new trailer. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
With the trailer fully loaded, I'm sure it will put slightly more stress on the kickstand when parked. That said, I have never had an issue at all with it in that regard...although I do use the standard kickstand it came with.

I had heard of a few guys in the US managing to break or have problems with the aftermarket kickstands. For those who wish to use the trailers, I certainly would recommend taking this knowledge into consideration, and either going back to the original kickstand, or having their aftermarket billet aluminium stands reinforced / strengthened to cope with the additional load. Note: *Depending on the angle / slope you park the bike on, you can certainly lessen the load put on the kickstand.

As for whether the bike is more prone to rolling forward with the additional weight...well, I have never found that to be a problem. As a rule I never park the bike on a downhill surface, which has the potential for the bike's weight to prompt forward motion, should it slip out of gear. Naturally, if you parked it facing downhill on a sloped surface with the trailer on, there would be and even greater possibility of that happening.

The new trailers will have (optional extra) facility for a disc brake and callipre to be fitted, with a lockable park brake mechanism that can be positioned on the handle, that could be used if you are concerned enough about that issue. However, if you did use the lockable park brake...just don't forget to release it and ride off with it still locking the rear wheel, or you'd find yourself up for a new tyre on the trailer. The 9 would simply tow the trailer like a sled until the tyre wore right through the canvas...and you wouldn't even know it the trailer's rear wheel wasn't rotating. (I know....because I had a freak accident once, which saw a loose strap wind into the trailer wheel until it locked dead I was doing 70mph with a pillion on the back at the time, and we destroyed the trailer tyre that way, before I even noticed anything was up. I pulled up, cleared the strap and towed it 50 miles with the trailer wheel dead flat, at 40mph...no problems. That was a worst case scenario, but I know from experience that even that was completely manageable. I was never in any fear of actually crashing. It was completely manageable even after the tyre wore through the canvas and popped...and I simply gently rolled off the gas and brought it to a stop. )

Glad you liked the videos. (Note: The trailer in the video is one of the originals, and not one of the new M109R Custom trailers we are striving to complete now. As soon as one is ready, I will post footage of it being towed behind the 9.) I am going to be testing new chassis and new suspension components in the next few days, following which the M109R Custom body shell pod molds will be created, to match the new chassis and suspension.

- David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trailer onboard - winding road clip

Here's a demo clip of towing one of the trailers up a winding mountain road. (Road surface wasn't great, as there was some loose gravel on some of the corners.)

- David

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I was watching the video of you pulling it around some corners. My wife comes in, sees it, and says "We need one of those!"

Gonna be sending them to the U.S.????

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thank you for the update and videos......I, and i'm sure many more, can't wait until you roll out the prototype and then begin production. Eagerly awaiting this new addition to my 9

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
I was watching the video of you pulling it around some corners. My wife comes in, sees it, and says "We need one of those!"

You will be able to get them in the US. Keep up the hard work David.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you like the videos of the trailer in motion.

Yes, we are going to be sending them to the U.S.A....just as soon as we finalise the new M109R Custom version, and deal with the logistics of getting them over there.

Glad to hear that your wife was impressed enough to say "We need one of those." :D Makes the process of actually getting one that much easier, when the wife has already given it her stamp of approval. ;)

Anyway, stay tuned....and I'll let you know further details as they come to hand. You can check out a whole range of pics and comments we've been making over the past 12 months, on my other thread too.

- David

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,951 Posts
That's a really neat trailer. Big enough to pack some extra luggage but not so big that it looks like something that should be pulled by a car. Can't wait to see what you have in development and hear when it will be available here. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be sure to keep you all informed.

That's a really neat trailer. Big enough to pack some extra luggage but not so big that it looks like something that should be pulled by a car. Can't wait to see what you have in development and hear when it will be available here. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
I'm glad you like the trailers too. You're right...they are also the right size for a motorcycle, and not something so big that it looks like it should be being pulled by a car. ;) The original trailer's internal capacity was 37 gallons or approximately 5 cubic feet. It was rated to carry a maximum payload of 110lbs. We're on track with the new trailers we'll produce, to eclipse both of those statistics.

Stay tuned... and thanks for the positive feedback. :D

- David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
New suspension shock absorber has arrived.

Today, I received the shock absorber that we will be using on the new trailers....and I am absolutely delighted ! :a18: It has exceeded even my high expectations for it....and is "the real deal".
:hot::hot::hot:

In moving to the new suspension configuration and vastly-improved swingarm pivot point system we have, we have achieved an inherently balanced suspension system...which is certain a quantum leap ahead of the original's. Thanks to the changes we have made, and with this new shock absorber in place I am supremely confident that we will have achieved everything I was determined to have achieved for the new trailers. The changes and this new shock will no doubt result in a better suspension ride and additionally, the suspension will now have something the original trailers never ever had...."rebound dampening". Additionally, due to the fact that this is a genuine shock with a screw on mount on one end, the coil spring we fit will be easily removed and replaced with another (either lighter or heavier or a progressive spring) to vary the suspension hardness to suit your own individual taste or load carrying requirments. Alternatively sprung coil over shocks to suit will be both cheap and easy for us to supply, should anyone feel the need to use them. I truly believe that the way we have done this, is the very best way to do it....and for that reason, I feel an overwhelming sense of satisfaction and personal gratification. All the work we put into experimenting with designs has paid off....and that means a lot to me.

Anyway...chassis testing will be done in a few days, now that we have the new shock. Today has certainly been a landmark day for me ...and one I will remember for a long time to come ! :#1: We are getting so close now... that I can taste it. :bigthumbsup:

- David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The New Shocks + The Old trailers suspension layout.

This is not a picture of the exact shock we are using...but, it is almost the same. You can see that it does have an adjustable preload, as well as a bump stop. In truth these pictures don't really do justice to the shocks. I was far more impressed with them, when I held it in my hand today. They truly are perfect for the completely new suspension layout and pivot point system design we have, of the new trailers we will very soon be manufacturing.

In the 3rd picture below, you can see the (quite primitive) suspension system of the original trailers. I strongly disliked that suspension configuration and suspension system of the original trailers from the very start, realising that most of the load forces were placed on only the spring side of the swingarm. I felt that configuration would result in a type of twisting force being constantly-applied to the swingarm pivot points whenever under load. I knew there had to be a better design and system...but at the time, I was not free to alter it. Now I am....so it has been kicked to the curb, the way it should have been long ago.

I always believed that a single, centrally-mounted, convensional shock with a far more robust swingarm pivot system design was the way to go, and a quantum leap forward from that of the original trailers.

NOTE:
As you can see from the picture below, the original trailer's suspension also had no rebound dampening facility of any type. The spring itself was free to recoil, at an uncontrolled rate, until the limiting shaft's rubber bump stop slammed into the limiting lug (on the left side of the picture). We will not be using that type of suspension configuration or pivot point system, on our new trailers.

- David

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very nice work. I can't wait to see the finished product and then order one for the wife and I to take on long weekends........
Thanks again for all of your hard work!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Very nice indeed. I am so hoping that the price is within my range. I would really like to buy one of these trailers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can't wait... ^_^

Very nice work. I can't wait to see the finished product and then order one for the wife and I to take on long weekends........

Thanks again for all of your hard work!!!!
Thanks for the very kind words of support and encouragement, I appreciate them. :D

As they say, "The devil is in the detail"....and that is why I've had to spend so much time tweaking all aspects of the trailers chassis and its variety of individual components...to get it exactly right. The very last thing I wanted to do was rush to get these finished and out to all of you, only to have you have issues with them, and me subsequently have to rework everything.

I firmly believe that if a job is worth doing, it is certainly worth doing right the first time... How does that saying go, "Following paths of least resistance is what makes rivers, and men, crooked". I certainly have not taken the path of least resistance in striving to re-engineer and re-invent these trailers in the very best manner possible. It's been a long, frustrating and tiresome road....but I have been undetered...and now, I have almost succeeded in achieving my long held goal of getting these new trailers into production.

Beyond my motivation to do this as a business, my secondary and equally- important motivation is to contribute something of real value to the lives of my motorcycling brothers and sisters worldwide. I know from more than 6 years (and 30 000 miles) of experience at towing and using them, here in Australia and in Japan, what an amazingly helpful and useful thing they are....and I know what a Godsend they are from a motorcyclist's perspective. There usefulness in regards to touring...is just the icing on the cake, to me. I find them an amazingly useful thing, on a day-to-day basis....and I use them for all manner of tasks, that you'd never even imagine, until you actually own and start using it. There are so many more occasions where you would normally have to take the car to do a particular errand...where it becomes possible to take the bike and trailer instead. I ride more and drive less....and as a diehard motorcyclist, I choose the bike over the car, 9 times out of 10.

Anyway...I certainly look forward to seeing the smiles on plenty of you and your wives, girlfriends or husbands faces, once you have and begin using the trailers. I know without doubt that the trailers will add to your enjoyment of touring...and introduce brand new possibilities. Only by making an improvement to your riding lives, will I truly feel that I have succeeded. I know it is a great invention....and I know what potential it has to do that. I can hardly wait until I get some trailers over to you guys and girls in the USA, so you can begin to understand what a wonderful thing they are to have, as a motorcyclist. I'll soon be preaching to the converted. ;)

- David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great to hear from an M109R owner from Ireland. ^_^

Very nice indeed. I am so hoping that the price is within my range. I would really like to buy one of these trailers.
"Top of the morn'n to ya." :D Great to hear from a rider from you. :bigthumbsup: You are the very first M109R owner I've ever heard from, from Ireland, and I'm very pleased to have the contact.

In regards to pricing...I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I am not greedy in regards to these trailers, and my central aim is to drive down their pricing, to a level were they are affordable to virtually anyone who wants one. If they become something that truly is within everyone's reach, I'd be happy to make the same amount of money in total, and have multiples more riders out there enjoying having and using them. I want them to be a trailer for the masses....and not just an over-priced novelty item that only a few with more money than sense can afford to own. I'll be doing everything I can to ensure that wherever in the world M109R riders are from, that they can afford to acquire one, and be legally allowed to register and use it on all roads and highways without restriction.

Keep the faith.

- David

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to have kept you waiting so long...

I agree!!! have been following this for quite a while.
Thank you for your patience. I'm afraid I've worn that...and the patience of everyone who has waited so long for me to get this finished and into production, very thin. My apologies...

I hope that the angst I have caused with the long delays will be quickly forgotten, once you guys get the trailers and begin using and enjoying them.

- David

1 - 20 of 880 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.