M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a 5 day trip through the Canadian Rockies and SE British Columbia, back up to Alberta.

Day One -Â (after work) Edmonton to Hinton
Day Two - Hinton to Revelstoke BC (through Jasper, south in the Rockies through the Colombia Icefields Parkway, and a caught in a helluva lot of rain, then snow - they closed the pass after we went through), stopped raining at Golden, BC, and on to Revelstoke
Day Three - (best ride in history :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:) Revelstoke, south through Nakusp, Creston, over to Cranbrook
Day Four - Crowsnest Pass South through the Frank Slide, up Hwy 22 to Longview, West through Kananaskis, and into Calgary
Day Five - Calgary to Edmonton

Setup:

Pioneer GPS - Works really good but I'm taking it back and getting a better one
12 V hookup
Tank Bag
Three Piece Cortech Soft Bags
Directline's Kool Metal Bungi Mounts
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Directline's $200 Cruise Control
Kuryakyn Switchblades - "scoring" them worked for the left, and most of the trip on the right
Partial Cut of Brake Pedal (between lines 2 and 3)
New Mirrors
Directline's Memphis Shades Windshield
Gel Seat (from Oneida)
Directline's Cut Rear Tag Mount

Me / Bike (with rain covers) between Golden and Revelstoke

Buddy / Bike at the Frank Slide

Other pictures on the Frappr site too...

and just before we entered into the worst riding conditions ever...

The seat is ABSOLUTELY A MUST BUY!!!

Oh, and the M? How does she handle in the twisties?
We got so comfortable with the corners that "slow to xxx km/hr" was often travelled at double the recommended speed (yes, even when it meant doing 160 km/hr instead of 80 (that's 100 mph instead fo 50)
:eek:

My buddy's bike is a Kawasaki 1600 if anyone's wondering...

·
Registered
243 Posts
NICE... I grew up in Calgary and have driven every rode you were on...I live in Houston now for the last ten years, and this post sure makes me miss home... and am very jealous!!! :bow: PS Franks slide in Crowsnest pass is one cool place to see... Thanks for the post... :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Man that makes me sick!!! I was there a year ago last May on my honeymoon in Banff, Lake Louise, Inverdmere, and Windermere. I've been a lot of places around the good old U.S. of A. and nothing that I've seen compairs to the Canadian Rockies. I miss it tremendously and am dying to go back. Untouched beauty!!! Thanks for the pics. By the way, I also live in the vast flatlands of Houston. Best thing about Houston is the year round riding season. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spankster said:
NICE... I grew up in Calgary and have driven every rode you were on...I live in Houston now for the last ten years, and this post sure makes me miss home... and am very jealous!!!  :bow: PS Franks slide in Crowsnest pass is one cool place to see... Thanks for the post... :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Here's a link to a lot of the trip... That day from Revelstoke to the ferry to Nakusp to Nelson to Creston to Cranbrook was everything that every rider wants on a trip... :doorag:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Wish I was there :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
great pic's. maybe one day I can make it up there, until then I guess I will just have to live vicariously through you. :p

·
Registered
360 Posts
beautiful pic ! way back when I use to drive a truck , I would get to Canada . Alberta several times and BC once. I must say , that's some beautiful country .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice pics.

How did you mount your GPS ?

Did you use a RAM Mount ?

If so,which one ?

Ta

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, definitely God's Country on that tour... only boring rides were the first and last 180 km (120 miles) :bigthumbsup:

The GPS was mounted on the shooter windshield - using the suction cup and I had a safety bungie cord on the shooter mounts - it held very well. I put a 12 volt mount right beside it. Here's a photo. My wife gave me hell for getting the garage junk in the picture :redfaced: but we're moving in two weeks and it's a garage (not a Living Room)... ::)

I really like the shooter... it kept a helluva lot of bugs off and although it increases a bit of wind up top, it was a fair trade off.

The GPS went back yesterday - I'll get a new one next year. For my money, I think they can do a lot better with them. Great for finding gas stations and in the twisties though.

I see Lamont had a similar location for his mount. It blocked out the message panel so a couple of times I drove with the four ways on for a long time... I'd rather see the tach anyway cuz I find cruising at just over 4000 rpm in 5th is perfect.

Next GPS I'd mount above the tach using a custom shortie windscreen mount.

One thing about the BC highways... they use more pebble - great traction I guess even if wet (they weren't) but they also keep your rubber shiny - (and you can probably guess what that means to your wear factor on your tires) :doorag:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bluecruzer said:
Yep, definitely God's Country on that tour... only boring rides were the first and last 180 km (120 miles) :bigthumbsup:

The GPS was mounted on the shooter windshield - using the suction cup and I had a safety bungie cord on the shooter mounts - it held very well. I put a 12 volt mount right beside it. Here's a photo. My wife gave me hell for getting the garage junk in the picture :redfaced: but we're moving in two weeks and it's a garage (not a Living Room)... ::)
and a fine garage it is....just ask some one that doesnt have one at all...!!
..bet they'd agree  ;)

tc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts